jukar .45 cal long rifle

furchaser

A bullet will give much better overall performance on Deer than a round ball especially in a smaller caliber like 45. I do not know much about the brand you have mentioned but seeing "long rifle" in it's description I suspect the barrel twist is made to shoot patched round balls of 440 diameter. If the rifle happens to have a medium twist it may shoot a conical bullet well, all you can do is give it a try. If the accuracy of the ball and bullet is equal I would go with the bullet.

Al 

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

The thread is getting old, but I just noticed not many responses....Alot depends on what your rifle is made to shoot, to an extent. If it has a fast twist it is usually made for conical projectiles, which the power belt is one. A slow twist (usually found in more traditional hawkens or :"kentucky" style ml...one in 60/1 in 72 or such.. But generally as mentioned, the conicals give better performance, but of course it is all about placement, and I have killed a number of deer cleanly with round balls. Actually, this year I am going back to my traditional Lyman Great Plains rifle with a round ball simply because I shoot it more accurately than my in line, and....I like it! 

Considering the age of the rifle, it's probably a slow twist for round ball. 

I have to edit my post. Junkar made rifles were still being made/imported a lot more recently than I realized. 

Answer is still the same though, what's more accurate is the best choice IMO. What the twist is will dictate that to a large degree.  Twist aside, as much as I like traditional round ball, with the .45, the added weight of a conical would be welcome. 

Edited by cas

The accuracy depends on the twist rate of your rifle. If you have a 1-48 twist you can shoot round ball or conical. anything slower and a conical won't shoot accurately . If your not sure on the twist rate of your rifle go on you tube and search how to check your rifle twist.. Good luck!!!