Thanksgiving!

First-light

My favorite holiday! No presents just food and family and friends. And being 56 I remember watching the March of the wooden soldiers every year!

As a kid it was spent at Grandmas house. We would walk in to Grandpa peeling potatoes! Now we start traditions with our kids! Have a great Thanksgiving! 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, First-light said:

My favorite holiday! No presents just food and family and friends. And being 56 I remember watching the March of the wooden soldiers every year!

As a kid it was spent at Grandmas house. We would walk in to Grandpa peeling potatoes! Now we start traditions with our kids! Have a great Thanksgiving! 

I am 49, and I also loved watching march of the wooden solders. Nothing like the smell of a turkey roasting all day long mmmmmm... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

How many are out hunting on Thanksgiving?  I am gonna go for about 2 hours in the morn just for a quick sit in a close stand.  

I actually don’t, the misses really appreciates the help from me getting thanksgiving dinner made. 

I will hunt the thanksgiving eve with an “emergency dismissal drill” at school nicely scheduled for that Wednesday.

How I spend my FAVORITE day is at my HS Turkey Bowl game with my boys and then home for deep fried turkey and all the trimmings. No pressure- all food, family, football and some fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We had Thanksgiving last Thursday when the Delaware daughter and family was up for deer. Turkey, the traditional sides, apple and pumpkin pie.

This Thursday wife and I will greet the sunrise together in the tower blind. We're going to hunt the morning, settle in for football the rest of the day - go Bills - and put a prime rib in the oven for an early dinner. 

Friday morning we'll be picking up the three Rochester grandkids for the long weekend, and 12 year old grandson and I will do our traditional Black Friday doe hunt. 

• Like 7

Jerry wins , that’s an awesome few days !

I know longer hunt the  AM , to hard to get to my sisters in time if I do , that was a tradition I sure enjoyed though .

As a child ( ‘60s and 70’s ) we gathered at my parents , after the meal the men would sit around the table and play euchre, once in awhile I could sit in . If ( When ) I played a “ wrong “ card my dad would yell at me and my grandfather would say was a good move  .

In the corner of the room was every hunting item my Dad owned , a shot gun, sleeping bag and a brown paper bag of clothes, oh and uninsulated green rubber boots . He would leave for deer camp after cards .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

It has always been and probably always will be my favorite holiday. Hunting in the morning (unless it is pouring rain), followed by a good meal, a few toddies, family, friends, football, and possibly a nap or some afternoon hunting.

No hunting if I have had some toddies so I probably won't be hunting in the afternoon. I will be out in the morning despite the forecasted high winds but won't be sitting in a tree.

At least the temperatures will be better than last year's morning temperature of 5 degrees with below zero wind chills.

Shoot straight and be safe everyone :hi:

When I was a kid Thanksgiving was always at my Grandparents. Family, Turkey and all the trimmings. My Dad and Grandpa would leave for deer camp after dinner. I couldn't wait until I was old enough to go. 

For about the last 20 years I meet the guys at Dunkin Donuts in the morning where we all hang out for about 45 minutes wishing eachother a happy Thanksgiving before we hit the woods. We hunt to about 10 am and then all go home to our families. I will be going home, taking a shower and getting ready to go to my parents house. So all my daughter knows now is Thanksgiving at her grandparents like I did when I was a kid. It is my favorite holiday. No pressure, no presents, just hunting with friends and then family and food. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....

• Like 2

Turkey sucks. Luckily everyone in my family agreed a few years back. We still celebrate, but we have chicken, ham, etc. and NO Turkey!

I usually always hunt TG morning, but the winds suck this year. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

I'm in the group of "Thanksgiving is the best holiday".  What more could i ask for?! Hunting in the morning, home for a hot shower, eat a great meal with family and friends, and relax watching football and raising hell with the company.

Hunting has to be cut short this year as I have to go pick up my wife's mother because she doesn't drive and my father in law died early in the Summer. It's a small price to pay to make sure traditions stay alive.

I always hunt the morning at home in the flat-lands of northern WNY, then drive up to the in-laws in the Adirondacks, for the rest of the long weekend.   Last year kind of sucked up there, because I punched my buck tag on opening day of southern zone gun season.  No such luck this year.  As long as a big one doesn't show up on Thursday morning, I should still have mine.   My mother in law is the best cook I ever met, so the meal is always quite good.   I am not a big turkey fan, but her sides are amazing.   I especially like her dressing with all the chopped up giblets (heart, liver, gizzard, etc).

The food up there is always great, but the best part is the hunting and the scenery.  Oh how I miss the snow and the mountains and the pines.  At least we had good snow at home for opening day.  I hope there will be good snow up there this weekend.   Thanksgiving is my third favorite holiday (Christmas is first, Easter second).   It has been a long time since I killed a deer on it (too much driving and eating), but I did kill my largest antlered buck at home on that day, back in 1988.  

The Saturday after has been pretty good for me lately though.  That is the day that I killed both of my Adirondack bucks (8 point and 6-point).   I would rate a spike, or even a muzzleloader doe (I have taken a couple of those up there also) significantly higher than a 10-pointer at home.  the scenery makes that much difference.  Until you have done it, you will not understand.  Even a western elk/mule deer hunt pales by comparison (the high desert ain't all its cracked up to be).          

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Also, I truly have no use for turkey, I think for the most part it sucks. Feel free to excoriate me lol

Well, coming from a guy that sells fake crab, that is no surprise!

I love turkey!  Being Italian, we stuff ours with macaroni (seriously ).  The sides are all traditional, dessert is free for all. Hopefully there will be pumpkin pie.  

In TN for this holiday, first time in my life out of state for it, and only the second time ever not spent in the home I live in.   Going to be different but happy to be with my family and to do something a little different.  Grand Old Opry on Friday night!  

• Like 1

I can't remember not hunting on Thanksgiving Day! We will be out for the first half of the day then meet up with the family for food and football. Sometimes we go out for last watch but every once in a while I eat so much the treestand may break so the couch seems safer!! Then in the evening we head over to the other side of the family and eat more deserts and hang out. I used to have to make both dinners, holy crap that was dangerous to my belt!!

My only issue with the holidays, Turkey Day, XMas and New Years should all be on Friday every year. With family all over now mid week Holidays are an ass pain!

• Like 1