New to muzzleloader

Chef

Hey guys so I known it’s late in the game but I’m thinking about going out and buying a used muzzleloader at the local gun shop Friday and giving it a whirl. I’ve never shot one before. I know I will need caps, powder and bullets. Any recommendations as to what to buy. How much is involved in sighting one in. Is it worth it this late in the game? I have a stand I moved last week and would love to extend my range in the late season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not too late. Be careful going used make sure you can take it apart at the store to make sure it’s been taken care of. For a couple hundred buck you can get a new CVA wolf new and they are a very good muzzleloader, that’s what I have for a spare.

For powder I recommend blackhorn209.

Nice thing about muzzleloaders is that you can order them online and often get very food deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Chef I bought the low end TC - a TC impact .50 cal to get into muzzleloader about 4 years ago.  It was only $200 then and it is prob my best gun at 100 yards.  Took my first deer with it last season.  I just went simple and bought 777 pellets (i use 2-100 grains) , 245 grain powerbelt sabots.  It already had fiber optic sights but i put a 4x fixed scope on it.  And i love this gun.  Simple to operate and its a shooter.  And i really like the feel of it and the balance.  If it was a gun that offered more than one shot it would be my go to.  The biggest pain is cleaning them each time you have shot them.  But i buy bore scrubber and let it sit for a while then it all comes out with a little work.  

I would say go for it.  Def not too late and even if it is you have it for next season too.  To sight it in just takes a bit longer with some cleaning.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020803416

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Had just put on a Bushnell Nitro on my ML not long ago. So just got home from sighting in.  My ML has been my primary gun for a long time. No idea how many deer I’ve killed with it. Winchester apex magnum 209 my wife bought for me 20 ish years ago. I shoot American white tail by Hornady 240 grain over 2 pellets of 777 and Winchester primers. Just a couple at 25 yards/ 50 then the bell ringer at 100 and came home. My best sighting in job of all time lol.  One thing to keep in mind with a ML. Primer pops then boom. Don’t flinch at the pop. And looking through the smoke to see deers reaction not always easy in the bong hit of smoke. 

48825593-6134-4D6C-9318-097B648C20A6.jpeg

36 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Had just put on a Bushnell Nitro on my ML not long ago. So just got home from sighting in.  My ML has been my primary gun for a long time. No idea how many deer I’ve killed with it. Winchester apex magnum 209 my wife bought for me 20 ish years ago. I shoot American white tail by Hornady 240 grain over 2 pellets of 777 and Winchester primers. Just a couple at 25 yards/ 50 then the bell ringer at 100 and came home. My best sighting in job of all time lol.  One thing to keep in mind with a ML. Primer pops then boom. Don’t flinch at the pop. And looking through the smoke to see deers reaction not always easy in the bong hit of smoke. 

48825593-6134-4D6C-9318-097B648C20A6.jpeg

Are you getting lag time with a 209 inline?

That's weird. The lag should be so short you can't even tell. Unless the rifle is dirty or something else is going on.

Even with my percussion cap Hawken, it's usually not noticeable. 

Now a flint lock, that's a whole other story.

Muzzleloader is my go-to weapon also. 

Nice sight in.

Edited by Skillet

Just bought the CVA wolf $315 out the door with a scope and a case. I had it centered in 3 shots. Can’t wait to try it out on a deer. My budget was tight and this was in my price range . I had to get a temporary bass pro credit card to secure the price, which the guy said I could cancel next day. 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cva-wolf-209-magnum-break-action-50-caliber-muzzleloader-with-scope-combos

Edited by Big Indian
Typo

Whatever gun you get, make sure to use the BH 209 powder so you won't have corrosion issues.  The firing pin on my T/C Omega 50 cal is bound up right now and I have only used loose pyrodex and 777 pellets (last 3 years) in it.   If I can not free it up by ML season, I will use my Barnett recruit crossbow instead.  I just picked up some new NAP, 100 gr, mechanical broadheads "just in case".   

My CVA Accrua is my go to gun here in Dutchess, where it is shotgun, not rifle country. I have killed many deer with it over the past 6-7 years.   The best combo that sighted in best for me was 2 triple 7 pellets and TC shockwaves.

I did have a primer not fire when I dropped the hammer last year. That sound in the woods was amazingly loud and the 8 pointer that I had the cross hairs on at 60 yds. snapped his head up and turned and was gone in a flash.  I ended up having a shot almost in the same spot an hour later on a marginal 7 pointer, but I wanted to be sure the gun would fire, so he was the victim of my experiment ...and it worked.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Whatever gun you get, make sure to use the BH 209 powder so you won't have corrosion issues.  The firing pin on my T/C Omega 50 cal is bound up right now and I have only used loose pyrodex and 777 pellets (last 3 years) in it.   If I can not free it up by ML season, I will use my Barnett recruit crossbow instead.  I just picked up some new NAP, 100 gr, mechanical broadheads "just in case".   

I only have one question do most  rifle ranges let you site  them in  there ?  

Definetely not too late..Buckmasters post is right on. I bought a used wolf from a buddy with a mediocre scope on it 7 years ago and couldnt be happier with it. Shoots perfect,and the cleaning is so much easier since i went to blackhorn powder. 

There should be no noticable delay from the hammer hitting the primer and the boooom. That being said,I had that issue when i went to the powder. I didn't pack the powder tight before shoving the bullet in,operator error. Now it is working like a champ.

I only use the muzzleloader for gun season,it is light,easy recoil and super accurate.