New to muzzleloader

Chef

Some sabots are a beast to get started down the bore in certain ML models, so a good starter ram rod is a must. The wooden ones suck & will break, get a T-handle bullet starter! Also get some reloader tubes. They hold powder, sabot and a place for a primer in a water resistant tube. FYI - With  the ML loaded, you'll only need to carry 2-3 reloader tubes, enough for an all day hunt. You may want to carry a couple xtra primers in a Ziplock bag. Placing primers in the breech plug can be difficult with cold hands & I've dropped more than a few into the snow over the years. BTW - There are concave shaped jags for loading the sabots with the short & long ram rods so the ends don't deform the tip of the sabot possibly effecting accuracy. Some of these loading jags are specific to certain sabots. IRC, most ML ram rods still have a flat ended jags from the round ball era. This is the nice thing about in-line MLs, things carried can be kept to a minimum. I still recall carrying a bag of all kinds of doodads when hunting with my TC Renegade.

Sure you know this, but here goes anyways. Ml'ers are basically a single shot rifle. So make that one shot count, probably will rarely get a 2nd shot at the same dumb-a$$ deer!! And then there's the smoke cloud and wondering if the deer lies there or how good a hit it was or if you hit it at all or where the deer went or WTH...

Edited by nyslowhand

I use a Barnes bullet but not the ones they make specifically for muzzleloaders it’s a .451 bullet designed for the 450 bushmaster and I use them in a harvestor sabot. Of the 20 or 30 bullet sabot combos I’ve tried these are the best! They load easy when especially when using blackhorn and they put huge holes in deer. 8905930c2853cde17b9cd0587fdacaf7.jpgthese are the speed loaders I use. I carry 3 loads in 1 pocket and another in the other pocket with primers in them.

If you need a bullet starter you need to pick a different sabot because there’s no need for one with modern guns and bullets.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I use a Barnes bullet but not the ones they make specifically for muzzleloaders it’s a .451 bullet designed for the 450 bushmaster and I use them in a harvestor sabot. Of the 20 or 30 bullet sabot combos I’ve tried these are the best! They load easy when especially when using blackhorn and they put huge holes in deer. 8905930c2853cde17b9cd0587fdacaf7.jpgthese are the speed loaders I use. I carry 3 loads in 1 pocket and another in the other pocket with primers in them.

If you need a bullet starter you need to pick a different sabot because there’s no need for one with modern guns and bullets.

I like those.  I have been using a separate tube for powder and sabor/bullet.  Does the powder leak past the bullet/sabot or is the fit tight enough to keep it in place?

I like those.  I have been using a separate tube for powder and sabor/bullet.  Does the powder leak past the bullet/sabot or is the fit tight enough to keep it in place?

They come caliber specific, never had an issue with the powder going by the bullet. If you’re using blackhorn make sure you get the magnum sized ones. The regular sized ones won’t hold a max charge and a bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Not only did I never get much blood but they are absolutely hell to load! 20 years ago they were one of the best options now I wouldn’t use them on a bet!

I guess I should probably buy something else and Just chalk the 20 bucks up to a loss

14 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I went with the 250's. Its full copper so i figured it doesnt need to be as high in weight 

I use the same ones, but the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's in 290gr came recommended to me. I just got my CVA Optima in the spring, so I haven't had the opportunity to see how the bloodtrails will be with the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's yet. 

This place has some of the best prices that I've been able to find on things that I've been looking for. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I use the same ones, but the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's in 290gr came recommended to me. I just got my CVA Optima in the spring, so I haven't had the opportunity to see how the bloodtrails will be with the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's yet. 

This place has some of the best prices that I've been able to find on things that I've been looking for. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/

I use the 250g TEZ.   Very accurate and never lost a deer with them.  Honestly the blood trails have not been overwhelming but the deer don’t go far so no issues so far.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I use these as well.  3 fully loaded and a speed loader for my primer stayd in my inside pocket so they stay nice and dry.

Screenshot_20191130-153005.png

Could be because I use max grains of bh209.  Might expand better if slower?   Not sure but it’s accurate as is.  

Everything expands better the faster it’s moving. Although it’s a big chunk of metal it’s still going slow, for me I’m usually only shooting at does with a muzzleloader and I will only take broadside shots to not waste any meat. When you don’t hit bone to help with the wound channel nothing usually bleeds much.