New to muzzleloader

Chef

I’ve heard from a few different sources that those are hornady SST’s, rebranded and yellow for TC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read that as well from a reliable source... that being said I shoot the SST out of my 308. Have shot one deer with that gun and she dropped where I hit her.

I use those in 250 grains and they work well. As far as blood trails go i never had a problem with those. One doe i hit just above the heart and that blood trail was the best i ever saw. It looked like someone was dumping buckets of blood for the whole 50 yds she made it.

I imagine the bullets do less damage than rifle bullets because of the slower speed,but they will kill a deer just fine.

I wouldn't worry much about which one to use as long as youe MZ shoots them nice.

Oh,one more thing...enjoy your first MZ season,the deer will almost be back to normal behaviour by then because the hunting pressure is so much less than at the beginning of gun season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Doesn't that HURT  ??….  Especially when you rip one off …….

I have been good enough not to need a follow up shot and not fortunate enough to encounter a second deer in one hunt.  But if I think it might not have been such a great idea to take advice from this guy.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, wolc123 said:

Whatever gun you get, make sure to use the BH 209 powder so you won't have corrosion issues.  The firing pin on my T/C Omega 50 cal is bound up right now and I have only used loose pyrodex and 777 pellets (last 3 years) in it.   If I can not free it up by ML season, I will use my Barnett recruit crossbow instead.  I just picked up some new NAP, 100 gr, mechanical broadheads "just in case".   

I was able to free up the firing pin on my T/C Omega tonight with some CLP.   I put a few drops on each end of the pin and also removed the small screw below it and added a several drops of CLP in the screw port, then put the screw back in.  After this lubricant treatment, I pushed/pried the pin back and forth with a screwdriver a few times, before it freed up.   Now it is back to working normally.   The hole thru the breech plug has also clogged up with corrosion a few times, and I had to open it back up with a small drill bit.   Next season, I will switch to Blackhorn 209 powder and hopefully be done with the corrosion issue.      

I was able to free up the firing pin on my T/C Omega tonight with some CLP.   I put a few drops on each end of the pin and also removed the small screw below it and added a several drops of CLP in the screw port, then put the screw back in.  After this lubricant treatment, I pushed/pried the pin back and forth with a screwdriver a few times, before it freed up.   Now it is back to working normally.   The hole thru the breech plug has also clogged up with corrosion a few times, and I had to open it back up with a small drill bit.   Next season, I will switch to Blackhorn 209 powder and hopefully be done with the corrosion issue.      

I got white hot pellets they say they are supposed to be the cleanest

Glad you got it freed up. Now I hope you get a deer with it

31 minutes ago, Chef said:

I got white hot pellets they say they are supposed to be the cleanest

Glad you got it freed up. Now I hope you get a deer with it

The white hots might be the cleanest currently available in pellets, but the loose blackhorn 209 is supposedly less corrosive, cleaner burning, and produces more velocity.   It would be nicer if they made it in pellets however, and I am hoping they might by next season.  This year, I am sticking with my remaining supply of 777 pellets.    

I hope I can fill my gun buck tag this weekend with my slug guns.  If not, it is good to have the ML working again.   I just scored a vacation day on Friday for ML weekend, and I already had that Monday off.  If nothing else, I will still have an antlerless-only tag that I can use then.  Good luck with your's also.     

The white hots might be the cleanest currently available in pellets, but the loose blackhorn 209 is supposedly less corrosive, cleaner burning, and produces more velocity.   It would be nicer if they made it in pellets however, and I am hoping they might by next season.  This year, I am sticking with my remaining supply of 777 pellets.    
I hope I can fill my gun buck tag this weekend with my slug guns.  If not, it is good to have the ML working again.   I just scored a vacation day on Friday for ML weekend, and I already had that Monday off.  If nothing else, I will still have an antlerless-only tag that I can use then.  Good luck with your's also.     

You know i just wanted to say with all the craziness going on here lately it’s really nice to be able to say that you and I have come a long way! You are a good dude my friend

• Like 5

You know i just wanted to say with all the craziness going on here lately it’s really nice to be able to say that you and I have come a long way! You are a good dude my friend

That's because WOLC really is a good dude!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 5:12 PM, Chef said:

I just realized I also have TC shockwaves 250 grain spire points, anyone have expirence with these 2cc6fd3ab5ef9ad35fea148ba4fa26c5.jpg

They shoot great and if you like to take them trough the shoulders it will be devastating. If you double lung punch on a broadside I hope you have snow. Not a fan of their expansion on soft tissue.  I am making a change to barnes expander over this next summer and changing to 209 powder. (if I don't dump a few guns and buy a custom smokeless ML barrel for my encore)

• Like 1

They shoot great and if you like to take them trough the shoulders it will be devastating. If you double lung punch on a broadside I hope you have snow. Not a fan of their expansion on soft tissue.  I am making a change to barnes expander over this next summer and changing to 209 powder. (if I don't dump a few guns and buy a custom smokeless ML barrel for my encore)

Good to know so if I see a good buck it’s going through the shoulder! Thanks for the info

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That is exactly what I have found also.. Not a fan of their performance on the animal. Punches right straight through with minimal blood trail. The last few put on their shoulder and that worked well.. I have 2 left. This will be my last season with them as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Chef said:

Good to know so if I see a good buck it’s going through the shoulder! Thanks for the info

I have had miserable experience with them on broadside lung shots. Small hole in and small hole out. Here is how much punch they have though. Last day of ML one year. I had a group of does patterned all week. I snuck in and set up in the hedge row at about 40 yards from where they were coming out. They showed up like clock work. The big one in the lead and I drew on her in a seated rest. Another good doe walked up and was actually standing side by side at 40 yards. They were about touching and lined up perfectly. 2 tags in my pocket I took the shot becasue I knew it was going through the first with ease.  I didn't expect to happen what did though. I shot and the one in the back folded in her tracks and the one in front made the 75 yard run to the wood line and disappeared into the woods.  I checked on the back one to confirm it was dead and followed the tracks of the first in the snow. A few drops on blood and about 30 yards into the woods she was there dead. Tiny hole in and tiny hole out. The one in the back had a tiny hole in and about a hard ball sized exit. 

• Like 6