Would you hunt state land with warnings like this .

Hunter007

Happend  to see this particular state land  on   the way back from hunting farther up state  the other day when I went to look it up  online it  said this .

As a result of historic mining operations in the unit, four distinct surface deposits of mine tailings remain on the property. Together these piles comprise approximately 2 acres and contain elevated levels of lead. In accordance with Environmental Conservation Law (ECL), Section 03-0301, DEC prohibits public use of the areas affected by historic mining operations that include exposed mine tailings and surface waters emanating from the mine shafts by establishing Restricted Areas and posting signage at these locations. DEC Fact Sheet (PDF) provides more information on lead contamination at  ******** State Forest and safety information.

No one should enter the posted Restricted Areas, including children and pets.Users of the unrestricted portions of the property should not drink, and not filter and drink any surface water they encounter in the vicinity of the mined areas.Users of the unrestricted portions of the property should make sure to wash their hands and the hands of children thoroughly with uncontaminated water before eating, drinking or smoking during or after a visit to this property.Shoes/boots and pets should be thoroughly cleaned prior to bringing them indoors.

44 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Not good! Lead is right up there with Mercury as far as possible Brain Damage. Mercury was used by Hat Makers at one time. That is where the expression-- Mad Hatter comes from.

Yea I know glad I looked it up before going there yikes .

Always  check the  regulations  at any of these public lands you just never know what was there before . 

• Like 1

Unless you’re eating the dirt, there’s really nothing to worry about.  Lead is naturally occurring.

They have to post a warning because of the  “sue everybody for anything”  society we now live in. 

There likely more lead in your fishing box than what you’ll be exposed to there. 

Happend  to see this particular state land  on   the way back from hunting farther up state  the other day when I went to look it up  online it  said this .

As a result of historic mining operations in the unit, four distinct surface deposits of mine tailings remain on the property. Together these piles comprise approximately 2 acres and contain elevated levels of lead. In accordance with Environmental Conservation Law (ECL), Section 03-0301, DEC prohibits public use of the areas affected by historic mining operations that include exposed mine tailings and surface waters emanating from the mine shafts by establishing Restricted Areas and posting signage at these locations. DEC Fact Sheet (PDF) provides more information on lead contamination at  ******** State Forest and safety information.

No one should enter the posted Restricted Areas, including children and pets.Users of the unrestricted portions of the property should not drink, and not filter and drink any surface water they encounter in the vicinity of the mined areas.Users of the unrestricted portions of the property should make sure to wash their hands and the hands of children thoroughly with uncontaminated water before eating, drinking or smoking during or after a visit to this property.Shoes/boots and pets should be thoroughly cleaned prior to bringing them indoors.

I know that spot! Great pheasant hideouts after the dec release weekend and birds get pushed around. First deer I ever shot at (and whiffed!) was from those woods. First successful kill came from there too. Maybe that explains the twitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I know that spot! Great pheasant hideouts after the dec release weekend and birds get pushed around. First deer I ever shot at (and whiffed!) was from those woods. First successful kill came from there too. Maybe that explains the twitch!

Did you walk 23 miles in the snow that day ?  That's how you get the big one over there I here  .  

Having hunting privet land all my life, if I was forced to only hunt state lands, I would definitely stop hunting.  Fortunately, I own just enough land that I can shoot a deer or two each yr.

I really need to commended those that only have public lands to hunt.  I couldn't do it.  Kudos to those that do.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mowin said:

Having hunting privet land all my life, if I was forced to only hunt state lands, I would definitely stop hunting.  Fortunately, I own just enough land that I can shoot a deer or two each yr.

I really need to commended those that only have public lands to hunt.  I couldn't do it.  Kudos to those that do.  

Not everyone that hunts  state land is poor I know few people that are loaded and only hunt it they could buy hundreds of acres if the wanted to .

I guess there are degrees to how much you love deer hunting for different people some like it just  enough to hunt public land  not enough to buy  lease or do favors to hunt private.  

Or other reasons like enjoying the trail system and many different wilderness  areas  this state has to offer .

Then  it all depends if you really need the meat or just in it for the experience the thrill of the chase , Everyone is different .

Edited by Hunter007

So I went to college at Saint John's and Plattsburgh state. We hunted up there and a local kid took me to a spot. From one side it was a hill but the other was an opening in the hillside. 

There were so many 50 gallon drums i couldn't count. We left and I never went back. I heard it was from the Air force base there. Weird but I'll let it go......

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greensider said:

How many times have you pinched a split shot on a fishing line with your teeth or handled lead with bare hands 

Ok but what about eating the meat?

Definitely not me would have to donate it but then again you probably couldn't even do that from a place like that who would take it .

You definitely have to tell anyone who you gave it to that warning chances are they will not want it either .

Edited by Hunter007

10 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

Not everyone that hunts  state land is poor I know few people that are loaded and only hunt it they could buy hundreds of acres if the wanted to .

I guess there are degrees to how much you love deer hunting for different people some like it just  enough to hunt public land  not enough to buy  lease or do favors to hunt private.  

Or other reasons like enjoying the trail system and many different wilderness  areas  this state has to offer .

Then  it all depends if you really need the meat or just in it for the experience the thrill of the chase , Everyone is different .

I never said, or implied, those that hunt public lands are poor. Not sure how you got that from my post.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Cool no  worries,  but  you did say forced  to hunt public lands . It's all good  .

If one has no privet property to hunt, and they wanted to hunt, then are they not forced to hunt public lands?  

7 minutes ago, mowin said:

If one has no privet property to hunt, and they wanted to hunt, then are they not forced to hunt public lands?  

You could have used the words choose to hunt public land ..

When you say forced  ,

It sounds  like a punishment or something. 

At least to some folks .

Edited by Hunter007

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

He is truly a master baiter-ignore. Your post made no such assumption

If I said this does it not imply poor to you ?

Glad I can just go to the supermarket and buy meat  .

I commend people that are (forced )to get up at 3am  in the morning  to go hunt for meat in the woods . 

If I was forced to do that I would starve .

I'm with Mowin on this one.  If state land was all I had access to, I would not hunt at all.  I just don't like the feeling knowing that someone might be setting up 50 yards from me.  And it's not only someone else messing my hunt up, I can just as easily unknowingly screw someone else's hunt up, too.  I simply don't want to hunt in situations like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I'm with Mowin on this one.  If state land was all I had access to, I would not hunt at all.  I just don't like the feeling knowing that someone might be setting up 50 yards from me.  And it's not only someone else messing my hunt up, I can just as easily unknowingly screw someone else's hunt up, too.  I simply don't want to hunt in situations like that.

Actually the only worries  I have about hunting public land is someone accidentally  shooting me even if its highly unlikely but I avoid spots that are full of cars in the lot  when I can .