Tracking

Buckmaster7600

I’m using a peep sight. I can hit a 12” target at 50yrds. No problem it’s when I move out to 100yrds. Thing get inconsistent. With a low powered scope(1.5) I do much better.
a9432e4b09e2372b9490e79ae051abe7.jpg&key=6b1f1a3f1950f58497af7956263dc55580c6b749f2cfbb98e699ce40771c2412
This is a 50yrd target. The way I practice is I walk up to the target and snap the shot like rabbit hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you worry about snap shooting work on your freehand shooting. Once your groups start Shrinking then start working in some snap shooting.

Your best tracking days it’s very difficult to keep a scope clean.

I’ll give it another shot. I only shoot freehand now unless I’m testing loads. I can keep them in the 12” circle pretty consistently with the scope. I took off the scope because of snow and rain. It’s also easier to carry the gun.

I’ll give it another shot. I only shoot freehand now unless I’m testing loads. I can keep them in the 12” circle pretty consistently with the scope. I took off the scope because of snow and rain. It’s also easier to carry the gun.

Dry firing is your friend! You can do it in your house for free. I dryfire 5 or 6 times a week.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Before you worry about snap shooting work on your freehand shooting. Once your groups start Shrinking then start working in some snap shooting.

Your best tracking days it’s very difficult to keep a scope clean.

I agree it is very difficult with keeping a scope clean when jumping deer.

I don't track but I do alot of still hunting. My go to is a 12 gauge 870 with a 2x fixed weaver scope. Always having to be conscious of angle gun is and where you put your hands. The heat off your hands will fog the scope fast.

I have several flannels that I cut the bottoms off for wiping down the scope. I check visibility through the scope while hunting periodically because it sucks when you jump a deer and can not shoot because of view of the scope. I have called it quits because of fogging too.

That being said, I have learned to be very efficient with that gun, and I prefer the low powered scope over iron sites. 

• Like 1

I agree it is very difficult with keeping a scope clean when jumping deer.
I don't track but I do alot of still hunting. My go to is a 12 gauge 870 with a 2x fixed weaver scope. Always having to be conscious of angle gun is and where you put your hands. The heat off your hands will fog the scope fast.
I have several flannels that I cut the bottoms off for wiping down the scope. I check visibility through the scope while hunting periodically because it sucks when you jump a deer and can not shoot because of view of the scope. I have called it quits because of fogging too.
That being said, I have learned to be very efficient with that gun, and I prefer the low powered scope over iron sites. 

There’s no free lunches, everything is a give and take. I know I can shoot tighter groups with a scope as well at a target, but as long as I can put 1 in the middle of a deer I know I’m going to get him so I don’t care about group size. Scopes are an excellent aid and if there’s not snow on the trees or coming from the sky I hunt with a scope. If there is than I won’t take the chance and just carry a gun with a peep.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
[mention=4789]Buckmaster7600[/mention] 

when to call off the tracking/hunt?

different types of equipment/techniques to bring deer back to vehicle/resting place [dry/wet/snow conditions]

If I’m on a track that I really want to be following there’s really only 4 things that make me call it off, river that’s over my pants pockets, “ I’ll spend a lot of time looking for a place to cross!” Snow melting, if I come across a bigger track and, dark.

As far as getting them out of the woods. If they’re under 180ish lbs i make backpack straps with their legs and carry them out. If their over 180 I have a very hard time getting them up on my back so I drag. Tuck their front feet behind their horns cut a sapling or branch longer than my hips are wide. Tie rope around neck and front legs and tie to both ends of the stick just long enough for me to get in the loop.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If I’m on a track that I really want to be following there’s really only 4 things that make me call it off, river that’s over my pants pockets, “ I’ll spend a lot of time looking for a place to cross!” Snow melting, if I come across a bigger track and, dark.

As far as getting them out of the woods. If they’re under 180ish lbs i make backpack straps with their legs and carry them out. If their over 180 I have a very hard time getting them up on my back so I drag. Tuck their front feet behind their horns cut a sapling or branch longer than my hips are wide. Tie rope around neck and front legs and tie to both ends of the stick just long enough for me to get in the loop.

You might want to have a pair of these in your pack. Packable waders that weigh less than 11/2 lbs They fit right over your boots and are good for about 30-32 inches of water.

https://www.amazon.com/Hodgman-Gamewade-Hip-Packable-Wader/dp/B00PCAGY4Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=26NBE8QGXXC7X&dchild=1&keywords=hodgman+gamewade+packable+hip+waders&qid=1594905034&sprefix=hodgeman+game%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-2

There are better ones but they weigh over 4 1/2 to 5 lbs

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

You might want to have a pair of these in your pack. Packable waders that weigh less than 11/2 lbs They fit right over your boots and are good for about 30-32 inches of water.

https://www.amazon.com/Hodgman-Gamewade-Hip-Packable-Wader/dp/B00PCAGY4Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=26NBE8QGXXC7X&dchild=1&keywords=hodgman+gamewade+packable+hip+waders&qid=1594905034&sprefix=hodgeman+game%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-2

Cool idea but not of any use to me. With wool pants taped to my boots as long as I don’t stand in it I can get through water without getting wet as long as it doesn’t come in my front pockets.

I think I'll order those, I've had three occasions where theyd have been clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2020 at 9:42 AM, SportsmanNH said:

Years ago I spent most of a day in freshly fallen snow tracking a Buck that ended up evading me by crossing a creek with waters that were well over my boots. I walked the bank up and down looking for a place to cross but it was no dice. I had a long way to go to get back to my vehicle and there was no way I was going to get a wet ass at that stage of the day. 

The Buck had been in a standing corn field bordering the creek and on the other side was a brush lot and golden rod that went several hundred yards. I sat down on the bank and started glassing with my binoculars and about 150 yards out laying low in the golden rod a nice 8 point looking right at me. He had been watching me the whole time. I was hunting in shotgun country back then and was hunting light carrying a Smith and Wesson model 29 44 mag revolver. The Buck was too far away for my abilities to make a good shot. He finally sensed I was watching him and he got up and trotted off and I quit for the day trudged back to my truck before it got dark.

Being a Coon hunter I always packed a set of these chaps and put them on when heading into swamps at night which was often. I would just tie and cinch them up tight on the bottom against my boots and would be able to cross fairly deep water without getting wet feet. They are light weight and very tough, mine were made by Wick Outdoor Works and I still have them. Did not think to take them along on the Deer hunt described above but you can be sure I had them on me from that day on for any tracking hunts.

The ones shown below are very similar to my Wick Chaps and can be found online.

Al

2021-10-10_172430.png

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you have any questions, fire away!

What do you have for gear, where are you planning on going?

Pretty much set on gear, just have to make some adjustments to my current stuff and pick up some odds and ends. Really looking forward to going light with minimal baggage. Your recommendations were very valuable. TY.

Charles E. Baker state forest in Madison county. 9400 acres. I've hunted there some on and off for 30 years but never tried tracking there. Nice thing (I think) about that place is the truck and horse trails are well marked and there's a lot of maps and info available to look at and develop a plan. It's rough country though, relatively speaking, for CNY.

Question. The wind. How much do you consider wind direction when tracking? Obviously you want it in your face when possible but what do you do when the track direction and wind direction aren't in sync? Keep pushing forward? Loop around to try and get the wind back in your favor and pick up the track again etc. etc? Thanks.

Pretty much set on gear, just have to make some adjustments to my current stuff and pick up some odds and ends. Really looking forward to going light with minimal baggage. Your recommendations were very valuable. TY.
Charles E. Baker state forest in Madison county. 9400 acres. I've hunted there some on and off for 30 years but never tried tracking there. Nice thing (I think) about that place is the truck and horse trails are well marked and there's a lot of maps and info available to look at and develop a plan. It's rough country though, relatively speaking, for CNY.
Question. The wind. How much do you consider wind direction when tracking? Obviously you want it in your face when possible but what do you do when the track direction and wind direction aren't in sync? Keep pushing forward? Loop around to try and get the wind back in your favor and pick up the track again etc. etc? Thanks.

Sounds Like an awesome spot to get started!

I don’t change anything based on the wind but I’m mindful of it. I almost never leave the track the chance of him smelling me is a small price to pay for the information I’m getting from stying on his tracks.

The only time I’ll ever leave a track is if I’ve already jumped him multiple times and he keeps doing the same thing. Last year I hunted a buck in the last week of season and he just wanted to lay down but kept picking those unkillable spots. After the 4th or 5th time of this I looped around above him and had a shot at him in his bed looking back on his tracks. Ended up not being big enough but my plan worked.

• Like 3

I need to replace my boots. Tried on the Lacrosse 18 Grange today. No half sizes unfortunately. 11 was sloppy, 10 was tight. I m thinkin the 10's. Thoughts?

Were you wearing your wool socks?

Mine are loose with my every day socks but fit perfect with a good wool sock.

Tight boots will make your feet cold very quick!

• Like 2