Cellular Trail Cameras

mzukovsky

Spypoint cell cams come with a Verizon or ATT sim card. They take care of the activation; you don't need to provide a line on your cell plan. They give you 100 medium-resolution pics per month for free. If you want high res, you need to get them off the memory card or pay an additional fee to get them over the air. Reliability in my experience has been fine. There was one time they did a software upgrade that required you to physically turn the unit off and back on. That was annoying as mine is high up in a tree. A downside to me is their cost, in terms of both the initial outlay and what happens if it gets stolen or vandalized.

Note there is a B1G1 mail in rebate currently going on for the Link-S Link to deal info

Well, call me the Spypoint guinea pig, or the Spypoint glutton for punishment, but I bought 4 at Dick's, and will get 4 more free. That they have the solar panel was a factor for me.

I called Spypoint and they confirmed one free camera for each camera purchased. You need to fill out one form for each freebie, and send a copy of the receipt for each freebie, but at least they can all go in the same envelope.

Net net cost will be around $200 per camera after tax. At least I know their software and am comfortable with it, as I own one already.

Deal details are here

Edited by goosifer

15 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Goose
Since your the local guinea pig.....start a new thread and let us know how they perform for ya.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OK, will do. Need to see if I will get them, though. Dick's cancelled my order for some reason. I reordered using my wife's credit card earlier this evening, and so far that order is not cancelled. I probably won't deploy the cams until the Spring. I bought 4 and will get 4 more with the MIR.

Against advice, I bought a Spypoint EVO today at Bass Pro Shops, $149, regular $249.  I wasn’t going to, but my wife was standing right next to me and said you might as well try i, we came all the way here and waited in traffic to get in.  Bless her heart!  I hope to get it setup next week sometime, will report results as they come in.

I have been looking at the Cuddeback Link system, which can be upgraded to cellular.  I like that idea, not sure if it executes well or not.  That may be the next step. 

• 3 weeks later...
Against advice, I bought a Spypoint EVO today at Bass Pro Shops, $149, regular $249.  I wasn’t going to, but my wife was standing right next to me and said you might as well try i, we came all the way here and waited in traffic to get in.  Bless her heart!  I hope to get it setup next week sometime, will report results as they come in.
I have been looking at the Cuddeback Link system, which can be upgraded to cellular.  I like that idea, not sure if it executes well or not.  That may be the next step. 
Otto
Did you get it going yet?
If so post a pic

OK, will do. Need to see if I will get them, though. Dick's cancelled my order for some reason. I reordered using my wife's credit card earlier this evening, and so far that order is not cancelled. I probably won't deploy the cams until the Spring. I bought 4 and will get 4 more with the MIR.
Goose
Have you recet the 4 from the MIR?
If so....have you deployed them?

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Otto
Did you get it going yet?
If so post a pic

I have not. I am going to try to get it out on Saturday, along with a few of my other cameras.   I pulled all my cameras last week to checks batteries, etc in order to set them out for the winter season - see who survived.  

13 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Goose
Have you recet the 4 from the MIR?
If so....have you deployed them?

I screwed up and did not mail in the MIR in time. I just realized this today, in fact. The 4 cameras from F&S only arrived about a week ago; the MIR form was due 12/13. I thought I had more time. I think I will keep them anyway. I want to put them up high, and the solar panels are really nice for that. For the one I've had for a year, I haven't had to change batteries yet. If/when I get more, I don't know. Maybe there will be some other deal in the Spring.

I had originally intended to not deploy until the Spring, but maybe I will get them up sooner. Not sure right now.