Times you killed bucks with bow

nybuckboy

10/1 half hour after sunrise, 10/6 first light, 10/21 first light, 10/26 just before sunset rattled in, 10/26 0830, 11/4 just before sunset was on a doe,  11/11 5 mins of legal left (pa legal) rattled in, i know i shot another one in late oct but cannot remember the date but its was early morning.  

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

All my bow bucks have been taken in the PM, mostly the last hour before sunset. Over 95% of my hunts are PMs, so no surprise that I have not killed bucks in the AM. I have not kept track of dates, but they ranged from 10/1 to 11/25.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

now that i think about buck kills were often late morning around 9-10am. none were real early in the season, but that makes sense with our hay farm being a factory for doe family groups.

I think early season, you are most likely to kill a buck in the PM on or near food or bed (if you know it).  Then as rut kicks in late OCT, it changes and I have had more morning success with seeking and cruising bucks.  Late season back to PM on food.  Just my experience.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think early season, you are most likely to kill a buck in the PM on or near food or bed (if you know it).  Then as rut kicks in late OCT, it changes and I have had more morning success with seeking and cruising bucks.  Late season back to PM on food.  Just my experience.

my experience as well.

I have to go through my records...Oh wait,i have only killed one buck with the bow so far. And i remember it well of course. It was around 11/6 and in the afternoon,say 4 p.m.

He was a forkhorn and caught my ground scent i think when i trapsed around to pick a tree to climb. It put him on high alert,but he didn't run,his last mistake...

• Like 1

This is as far back as I have handy on my phone.  Before this I'd be able to come up with am/pm but that's about it.  These times are rough but accurate within 10/15 minutes.  I think I've killed a buck every year since I went back to the compound since the fall of '99........before that it was sketchy with the compound and traditional gear.  Bucks died but it wasn't every year like the past 20.

2019 3:50pm

2018 8:30am

2017 4:00pm

2016 4:45pm

2015 9:20am

2014 4:30am

EDIT to add that yes, these all are archery buck kills.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

This is as far back as I have handy on my phone.  Before this I'd be able to come up with am/pm but that's about it.  These times are rough but accurate within 10/15 minutes.  I think I've killed a buck every year since I went back to the compound since the fall of '99........before that it was sketchy with the compound and traditional gear.  Bucks died but it wasn't every year like the past 20.

2019 3:50pm

2018 8:30am

2017 4:00pm

2016 4:45pm

2015 9:20am

2014 4:30am

EDIT to add that yes, these all are archery buck kills.

Cool to have a list like this.  You were in the stand EARLY in 2014!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

Cool to have a list like this.  You were in the stand EARLY in 2014!

BUSTED.............damn the luck.  I knew this internet thing would catch up to me at some point. 

Funny thing, yesterday afternoon I hunted East Aurora for a doe.  There was heavy snow cover on the limbs and snowing fairly hard around 4:38PM (yes, PM) when three deer appeared inside of 40 yards.  By the time I ID'd the biggest deer (at 20 yards) the clock had ticked to 4:44PM.......three minutes past legal shooting time.  Damn, too late.

See, I've turned a corner..... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

BUSTED.............damn the luck.  I knew this internet thing would catch up to me at some point. 

Funny thing, yesterday afternoon I hunted East Aurora for a doe.  There was heavy snow cover on the limbs and snowing fairly hard around 4:38PM (yes, PM) when three deer appeared inside of 40 yards.  By the time I ID'd the biggest deer (at 20 yards) the clock had ticked to 4:44PM.......three minutes past legal shooting time.  Damn, too late.

See, I've turned a corner..... :)

I call BS.  Were you hunting with Biz or Growie, hmmm or both?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I call BS.  Were you hunting with Biz or Growie, hmmm or both?

Absolutely.......Growie on one shoulder and Bizzy on the other. 

I was itchin' to text a to the group chat (Tacks, turkeyfeathers, Sodguy, treeguy, Jeremy and Bizzy)  that read "and boom goes the dynamite".

I guess it'll have to wait. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10/28 @ 5:20PM; 6Pt walking by itself

10/28 @ 7:30AM; 5Pt grunting trailing a group of 3 doe

11/14 @7:55AM; 5Pt walking by itself

11/5 @ 7:20AM; 8Pt walking by itself

10/31 @ 7:05AM; 10Pt Grunting trailing a doe

11/7 @ 3:50PM; 7Pt walking by himself, made a scrape, then rubbed a tree, and then walked by stand

10/26 @ 8:45AM; 8Pt trailing a doe and chased off a 6Pt and smaller buck, then followed doe by stand

11/9 @ 10:25AM; 10Pt walking by himself heading away from my stand area and then turned towards sound when a doe that was already in the area opposite side of my stand from him ran away when she busted me getting my grunt tube to try to call him my direction.  This was after I drew my bow on him on 11/7 @ 7:40AM when he was grunting following a doe but couldn't get a clear shot at him before he chased doe out of area 

• Like 1