Land

GreeneHunter

Hey all ..... I own a little over 20 acres and over the years I've been trying to contact the owner of 5.5 acres which borders my property . I've never met the owner but did find their address via the GIS map for the county and wrote several letters telling the owner that I would be interested in purchasing the 5.5 acres . I explained that I am the adjacent property owner and will not develop it but just add to my property for Hunting reasons .  Last week I took another look at the County GIS map and Lo and Behold (always wanted to use that phrase ..LOL) the 5.5 acres is now owned by the town . I called the local assessor and they stated that the 5.5 acres was NOT taken back for Taxes but was gifted back to the town as the Owners Family no longer wanted the property . I contacted the assessor and told them I would like to purchase the property and put it back on the Tax rolls ( nice guy that I am) , they stated that they would bring it up to the board and get back to me ! How would I know what price to pay per acre .... advice needed !

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I checked the assessment and its $ 6500.00 , should I base the purchase price on that ?

If you can swing it, go to an even $7000.00. that will perhaps motivate the town board to go in your favor? At the least go with the full assessment value. As you really would like to have the property. Someday, if you decide to sell, you'll still be able to recoup your full investment and possibly more. Hope it all works out for you!

• Like 1

since it was bequested to the town,, sounds like a liberal act of stupidity, take the value of your 20 acres, divide by 4, take that sum in cash and lay it on the counter at the clerks office. Tell them you want to buy it now, and no ebay joke intended. argue the point the 5 acres will stay "forever wild", instead of developed  into an eyesore.

happy thanksgiving. 

I'm not sure on rules/protocol, but anyone can request time in front of the board. Go do it yourself instead of the Assessor. Even if it's not the proper channel to ask or request, you'll win the hearts and minds of the board and they'll make it happen behind the scenes. Tie it to your passion for the community and what it means. The assessor isn't invested in this like you are. Why leave it up to anyone else?

• Like 3

In Greene?  I have land in Greene, PM me if you like.  

One problem you may have is that often when land is gifted to a town etc. the grantor puts restrictions on the deed (like, can never be sold, etc.).  If the owner never responded to you, they may have been opposed to your stated goals etc.  Interesting situation.  

ł would love to hear how this goes as ł have a piece that touches my land owned by the town that ł would love to grab and never knew how or if such a thing can be done.

Will be bookmarking this thread.

Best of luck to you with this GreeneHunter.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:00 AM, GreeneHunter said:

Hey all ..... I own a little over 20 acres and over the years I've been trying to contact the owner of 5.5 acres which borders my property . I've never met the owner but did find their address via the GIS map for the county and wrote several letters telling the owner that I would be interested in purchasing the 5.5 acres . I explained that I am the adjacent property owner and will not develop it but just add to my property for Hunting reasons .  Last week I took another look at the County GIS map and Lo and Behold (always wanted to use that phrase ..LOL) the 5.5 acres is now owned by the town . I called the local assessor and they stated that the 5.5 acres was NOT taken back for Taxes but was gifted back to the town as the Owners Family no longer wanted the property . I contacted the assessor and told them I would like to purchase the property and put it back on the Tax rolls ( nice guy that I am) , they stated that they would bring it up to the board and get back to me ! How would I know what price to pay per acre .... advice needed !

The 1.2 acre lot next to my house went for 10,000 $ at public auction the town owned it  I was willing to pay 5000$ and that's what the bidding started at pissed me off because the property line is just 50ft off the corner of my house

Edited by silent death

I would wait and see what the towns initial action is first...it may come in cheaper than what you might offer. I also would NOT mention or state that it would be "forever wild" or be kept undeveloped, no matter your intentions. Developed land is worth more on the taxes. You may hint that if there is a developable site, you are looking for a building location. More tax money. Then if you never do anything... well, that was just your plan, but the money for development/ house never worked out. Of course, that depends on the status of the land, be it residential, agricultural, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...