I need to invest in some new gear, please recomend

I was able to spend a lot more time hunting this year since my daughter had ankle surgery and I am not running to soccer all the time this season. I decided I need to invest in some "good" hunting gear. Right now whatever I have is what was on sale and felt was a good deal. Sunday I sat out for an hour and a half and was soaked through and freezing. I am thinking I would like to purchase after Christmas bills are paid so not in any rush. Thinking my first purchase would be a pair of bibs and then a jacket when funds allow the purchase. 

I don't have extremely long walks to my stand. I usually wear my boots and everything I wear on the bottom on and walk to my stand with my coat strapped to my back pack along with winter beanie, neck gator and warmer gloves in my pack. 

Warmth, Water resistant and wind resistant along with burr resistance would be my priorities. Probably something Gortex. I am tired of being cold and picking thousands of burrs off my gear. 

Sitka sounds good but the material sounds like every burr would stick to it. 

What do you guys recommend? I do very little still hunting and have plenty of cheaper stuff I can wear in warmer weather. I am sitting in a treestand 95% of the time. 

I use layers and if wind or rain is possible I use 2 sets of rain gear but the new clothes are nice just a bit over priced for me.  I still have my original Gore-Tex suit but only use it in sever weather during gun season, can't use it for bow as it is too bulky.  I am also thinking about a bib setup as I have plenty of clothes for my upper body yet need to keep my shooting arm free from hitting the string.  I have yet to get into a tree this season and usually stalk/still hunt so I can always move around if I get to cold. 

I always hesitate on buying really good clothes or should I say expensive clothes as I always put a broad head to them and put holes in it.  lol  I am a twirler lol. Gets me in trouble when the broad head is attached.  Only bow guys will know what that means.  Interested on what others use or recommend. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I was able to spend a lot more time hunting this year since my daughter had ankle surgery and I am not running to soccer all the time this season. I decided I need to invest in some "good" hunting gear. Right now whatever I have is what was on sale and felt was a good deal. Sunday I sat out for an hour and a half and was soaked through and freezing. I am thinking I would like to purchase after Christmas bills are paid so not in any rush. Thinking my first purchase would be a pair of bibs and then a jacket when funds allow the purchase. 

I don't have extremely long walks to my stand. I usually wear my boots and everything I wear on the bottom on and walk to my stand with my coat strapped to my back pack along with winter beanie, neck gator and warmer gloves in my pack. 

Warmth, Water resistant and wind resistant along with burr resistance would be my priorities. Probably something Gortex. I am tired of being cold and picking thousands of burrs off my gear. 

Sitka sounds good but the material sounds like every burr would stick to it. 

What do you guys recommend? I do very little still hunting and have plenty of cheaper stuff I can wear in warmer weather. I am sitting in a treestand 95% of the time. 

I got KUIU jacket and pants this year, my priorities are waterproof/breathable/burr resistant and they check all three boxes. I layer underneath so warmth isnt an issue. So far I like it a lot and I think for early bow season it will be the berries

• Like 1

Apexer since you sit in a treestand 95% of the time invest in one of these high quality seats for your posterior. The seat is very comfortable and will keep your bottom warm. You will sit for a longer time in your stand with one of these. I bought one many years ago and it holds up super. My son bought one after trying mine and he loves his. You will be surprised with how much a warm bottom helps keep you warm all over.        valoroutdoors.com https://huntcomfort.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieNY said:

Apexer since you sit in a treestand 95% of the time invest in one of these high quality seats for your posterior. The seat is very comfortable and will keep your bottom warm. You will sit for a longer time in your stand with one of these. I bought one many years ago and it holds up super. My son bought one after trying mine and he loves his. You will be surprised with how much a warm bottom helps keep you warm all over.        valoroutdoors.com https://huntcomfort.com/

Just read about that seat. Sounds like a good product. How much does it squish down? One of my issues is I am short...only 5'6" and a lot of tree stand seats are already too tall for me. Adding a couple inches of seat won't help that....

Apexer it doesn't compress down very much. It has a gel core like the gel in the gel insoles that you put into shoes for comfort. We do not install or we remove any seat pads that come with our stands and we carry the seat into and out of our stands whenever we hunt.             valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieNY said:

@CharlieNY what’s your experience with using these in or on rocks/logs if ground hunting. do they absorb moisture/ snow/ etc

@ApexerER  ever try Carhaart bibs? I use them from time to time, definitely burr resistant, water and wind too. problem is a bit heavy and bulky to walk in, they were a lifesaver for me on some EXTREMELY cold days. I usually try to carry in/out and put a lighter  pair of pants underneath with some sort of base layer/long john

Edited by Big Indian
Typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big Indian said:

@CharlieNY what’s your experience with using these in or on rocks/logs if ground hunting. do they absorb moisture/ snow/ etc

I have used mine on the ground when turkey hunting in the Spring with no issues. The cloth cover that comes in contact with the ground can get wet on the ground side but it will not soak through to your behind. I never tried mine on a log or rocks.    valoroutdoors.com  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have some second had Sitka gear. I have the Fanatic which is just sit gear. I also just ordered a set of First Light Solitude that I am looking forward to testing out.

My experience is that the first lite jacket fit true to size.  Bibs ran a size small.  Just an FYI.  

• Like 1

There are some things that really can not be improved upon Woolrich, LLBEAN or Filson Wool, layer up properly and you will not be cold. Be it on stand Deer hunting or hunting Hare in single digits from sun up to sun down through out the winter,  my old Woolrich PA Tux never let me down when it came to keeping me warm.:wink: I have some LLBean stuff that is pretty good too.

Al

11f1cf364b13ffd8ec67a0984379cde1.jpg

126190242SPsFKp_ph.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, airedale said:

There are some things that really can not be improved upon Woolrich, LLBEAN or Filson Wool, layer up properly and you will not be cold. Be it on stand Deer hunting or hunting Hare in single digits from sun up to sun down the old Woolrich PA Tux never let me down when it came to keeping me warm.:wink:

Al

11f1cf364b13ffd8ec67a0984379cde1.jpg

126190242SPsFKp_ph.jpg

My wife found an old red-checked Woolrich pants and coat set like that, in my size, at an antique sale last summer.  I have not shot a deer in an outfit like that since I outgrew my grandad's back in 83.  I will try again in the morning, wearing the "new" stuff.   I might as well take along his old gun also, since it worked ok for me on a doe on opening day this year.  We don't really need any more venison, but it would be cool to be blessed with a bit more while suited up and armed like that.    Buckmaster talked me out of taking it to the Adirondacks this weekend, because he said that water would run off the "tucked-in" pants, into my boots during a creek-crossing.     No creeks to deal with here, and I left an old barn plank to use as a bridge if necessary, next to the ditch that I got a good soaker in a few year ago.  I had to ford that ditch multiple times after shooting a doe on the other side.   Walking the plank with the tucked in Woolrich pants should work out fine if need be.  At the very least,  I will try to report back here how warm they are.        

Edited by wolc123

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

My wife found an old red-checked Woolrich pants and coat set like that, in my size, at an antique sale last summer.  I have not shot a deer in an outfit like that since I outgrew my grandad's back in 83.  I will try again in the morning, wearing the "new" stuff.   I might as well take along his old gun also, since it worked ok for me on a doe on opening day this year.  We don't really need any more venison, but it would be cool to be blessed with a bit more while suited up and armed like that.    Buckmaster talked me out of taking it to the Adirondacks this weekend, because he said that water would run off the "tucked-in" pants, into my boots during a creek-crossing.     No creeks to deal with here, and I left an old barn plank to use as a bridge if necessary, next to the ditch that I got a good soaker in a few year ago.  I had to ford that ditch multiple times after shooting a doe on the other side.   Walking the plank with the tucked in Woolrich pants should work out fine if need be.  At the very least,  I will try to report back here how warm they are.        

Wolc, is that you in the second pic? Please post a pic of you in your new outfit tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Wolc, is that you in the second pic? Please post a pic of you in your new outfit tomorrow.

No that ain't me.  I assume that it's a younger airedale.  Somewhere, I have a picture from me in 83 with my first antlered buck while wearing it.  I will try and find it, scan it, and post it some time after tomorrow's "reenactment", if I can pull it off.    

• Like 1