I need to invest in some new gear, please recomend

I do layers.  I have gotten a lot (and anticipate a lot more) mileage out of a set of CAbelas brand rain parka/ bib set. Its their brand of goretex, I forget just what they call it....

My set is about 8 years old , and gets worn more than anything else I have. Keep dry, keep warm. I can layer it down to any temp, but usually once it starts hitting 20 degrees I will go from the rain jacket to my insulated waterproof parka. There is a lot of good stuff out there, but I have always gotten my moneys worth from Cabelas, and they are easy to work with...(well, were until Bass Pro took the show, but I haven't had any problems since...)

• Like 2

I have a Cabelas Dry Plus parka , orange camo , a virtual sleeping bag it’s so warm . I haven’t worn it much in years as the weather hasn’t warranted it ,I’ve had it at least 15 years , less then $100 , I think .

Now it’s bulky but for gun that’s not much of an issue .

https://www.gunwinner.com/deals/cabelas-mens-blaze-silent-suede™-parka-thinsulate™-and-4most-dry-plus®

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I have a Cabelas Dry Plus parka , orange camo , a virtual sleeping bag it’s so warm . I haven’t worn it much in years as the weather hasn’t warranted it ,I’ve had it at least 15 years , less then $100 , I think .

Now it’s bulky but for gun that’s not much of an issue .

https://www.gunwinner.com/deals/cabelas-mens-blaze-silent-suede™-parka-thinsulate™-and-4most-dry-plus®

That sounds good for crossbow/rifle season. Not too worried about bulk since I primarily sit. Says it is sold out at the moment

The Woolrich pants worked out very well this morning, but the jacket did not cut it.    That's what I ended up doing to it, as I sat in my blind to get out of the rain and 40 mph wind.  The sleeves were way too tight on my upper arms.  It felt like a nurse was checking my blood pressure on both sides at once, and had the little pump up rings filled up all the way with air.  My hands kept loosing feeling, due to the lack of circulation.  I had a muff with a handwarmer in it, but that did not even help much.   I also had a very sharp pocket knife, so I removed the jacket and went to work on the sleeves.  Now I have a very comfortable Woolrich vest, and a couple of nice buffalo-plaid wool muffs that the kids can use to keep their hands warm while we are ice-fishing.  The sleeves may have been a little better, had I not had a thin base layer and a quilted flannel shirt below.   

The rain stopped about 8:00, and I went up in my woods stand, next to the ditch.   The only critter that showed up before I left at 9:45 was a grey squirrel.  It was comfortable up there, in the cold and wind, wearing my Woolrich pants and vest.  I would still be there if I did not have to make the long drive up to the Adirondacks for the big meal tonight at the in-laws.   I will try this outfit again next weekend at home for sure.   The wool vest will be great under  gor-tex raincoat.   

Form and Function, I buy my hunting outerwear sized larger than sizes I wear for street clothes so I have plenty of room for layering and free movement to use whatever the weapon of the day is. There are many hunters that worry too much about how they look and purchase their gear as if they were going to be pictured on the cover of Outdoor Life Magazine.:wink:

Al

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, ApexerER said:

You guys that are recommending the Sitka. How is it with burs? Reading the descriptions it sounds like every burr in the world would stick to it

Stratus and incinerator do not collect burs.  Very easy to clean off.  Fanatic will collect burs and can be a pain to clean them off.

• Like 1