Biggest you have seen or harvested?

Forest Hunter

This is a buck I photographed in the 1990's at Avery's deer farm on Route 10 just south of Speculator, NY... he was a huge 9-point... he weighed well over 250 lbs on the hoof... eventually they had to have him put down because he got so dominant in the herd that he was killing off many of the older bucks. He was from the same herd as the most photographed whitetail in the world "Big Jim".. made famous by Charlie Alshiemer...

post-525-0-67444100-1315149445.jpg

Last year during bow season I seen a monster. The body looked like the frame of a horse and easily a 10 point. I could barely stand in my tree stand my legs were so shacky. He came within 20 yards but I had thorn trees between us and he wouldn't come past them or to the right. He started to walk away and I gave a quick grunt I didn't think he turned around but when I moved my head to see around a tree he spotted me and took off. The next day my dad told me a monster buck got hit by a truck right there and I was heart broken. Until about a week later when the land owner told me he saw the same buck. At then end of the season another guy was coyote hunting and saw him again. So this year it's my goal to find him again.

I was fortunate enough to harvest the biggest I've ever seen at 192 2/8" net. But if you just want to see what New York or the Northeast is capable of, go to one of the Big Buck dinners. I went to the Northeast Banquet and was amazed at the amount of GIGANTIC bucks that were taken this past season. Several from NY.

this is the biggest I've tagged...the biggest I've seen walked past me at 40yrds when I was hunting with a 45# recurve...couidn't take a shot...he made the buck in pic ...look like a 1 1/2 year old...the next biggest I shot last year and spent 2 days with the deer tracker recovery ppl...it started pouring as soon as they came to start tracking and rained 2 days :(

These are the 2 biggest I have seen while hunting, and was luckily able to kill. The first one (2006, bow) scored 166, the other (2008, gun) scored 164. I saw a very symetrical 12 pt last summer I thought would go 170+. I met a guy last week that showed me a picture on his cell phone of the buck- with his friend's wife holding it! It was her first buck ever and scored in the low 160s.

post-50-0-28361000-1315175186_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-72970200-1315175194_thumb.jpg

Biggest i've seen alive was along the tracks near dunkirk,ny it was walking down in the ditch headed the opposite direction of a drive some hunters were putting on through a field.they were literlaly less than 10 yards from it and never saw it i tried blowing the train horn to get their attention and was flipped the bird .. as far as i know know one ever got it. was easily 180-190's. and would of made a paper and nys bbc ... Ive seen a lot of really big bucks in my uncles taxidermy shop thru the years.

Biggest one I ever killed is a 10 point that scores around 130.. Never had it scored.

Biggest one I ever laid eyeballs on dead was a 10 that scored 168 and change net and took # 5 in NYS big buck club a few years ago. It was a real clean rack with very few deductions.

I don't believe I have ever seen a buck that big on the hoof, in season or out.

I've seen some real beauts over the years, even shot at a couple!

Missed a HOG about 10 years ago in Naples, I can still see that buck standing in the snow..........mmm.

I did kill my best last year as a couple of you know(!). I'll see if I can scare up a picture.

Hunting2010072.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Back in the mid 80's I lived in North Amherst on Campbell Blvd. in an area that was known for the overabundance of deer. I mean GOBS of deer. Unfortunately it was closed to hunting. IIRC over 400 deer/car collisions occurred in one year in a block of land that was bordered by Tonawanda Creek Rd, Campbell Blvd., North French and Millersport Highway. Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine did an article on the area and dubbed it the ________ _______ triangle. (I don't remember everything!)

Some humungous bucks roamed the woods back then and were getting squished by Pinto's, Vega's and AMC Hornet's.

The local police and a handful of local shooters but a huge hurt on the population and most of the big bucks disappeared quickly (NOT mysteriously).

They had a job to do and did it well.

I saw a few 160' and a couple 170's back then and to be honest, I'm pretty sure I saw a 180" brute one night in North Tonawanda.

This is a buck I got in 1997 in 3H.Came in just at sunset.I was in the process of unloading the rifle to begin my decent out of the tree stand when I gave one last look around,And here he comes right to my tree.Had to quickly put a round back in.

post-348-0-86634800-1315193801_thumb.jpg

Edited by ANTLERS

Back in the mid 80's I lived in North Amherst on Campbell Blvd. in an area that was known for the overabundance of deer. I mean GOBS of deer. Unfortunately it was closed to hunting. IIRC over 400 deer/car collisions occurred in one year in a block of land that was bordered by Tonawanda Creek Rd, Campbell Blvd., North French and Millersport Highway. Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine did an article on the area and dubbed it the ________ _______ triangle. (I don't remember everything!)

Some humungous bucks roamed the woods back then and were getting squished by Pinto's, Vega's and AMC Hornet's.

The local police and a handful of local shooters but a huge hurt on the population and most of the big bucks disappeared quickly (NOT mysteriously).

They had a job to do and did it well.

I saw a few 160' and a couple 170's back then and to be honest, I'm pretty sure I saw a 180" brute one night in North Tonawanda.

I love how the biggest bucks always seem to be in residential areas. Don't know if you're familiar with Losson park and the Reinstein woods down in S. Cheektowaga but I grew up in that area and used to walk the trails with my grandparents when I was in grade school. Saw some monsters out there and the number of deer hit by cars was and still is ridiculous. A few years back they had Cheektowaga PD do a bait and shoot to trim the numbers a little. I can't help but think that opening the park up to permitted bow hunters for a few seasons would've been more benificial.

• Like 1

Biggest I have seen? Who knows maybe a 160 and a few 140-150 class, I took hair off the 150 and 160 but I was a youngin and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn back then, now I can at least hit the barn. If we were talking weight I would say for sure I have seen a 200+ pound buck, the old man missed that one. :lol: My brother has killed a few nice ones, the biggest being just shy of 140".