Hunting in Massachusetts

Buckmaster7600

Never hunted Mass before but with snow coming this weekend I think I’m heading there Monday morning found a few big pieces of public land that should give me room to track.

It’s shotgun only so I’m going to dust of the slug gun today although I swore I would never do it again.

Anyone ever hunted over there? License prices aren’t bad at all and it’s a lot closer than Maine and New Hampshire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent 4 days there with the muzzleloader.  It was after my deployment.  I went mostly because our seasons were closed.  Saw a few deer and only one set of human tracks.  It was nice country.  It took me a day to get slowed down, and one day it rained from dark to dark.  I never saw a buck or a big buck track, but plenty of does.

I know a couple guys that have shot nice bucks down there.  Bears too.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

I spent 4 days there with the muzzleloader.  It was after my deployment.  I went mostly because our seasons were closed.  Saw a few deer and only one set of human tracks.  It was nice country.  It took me a day to get slowed down, and one day it rained from dark to dark.  I never saw a buck or a big buck track, but plenty of does.
I know a couple guys that have shot nice bucks down there.  Bears too.  
Good luck.

I know they shoot some pretty good bucks, from what I’m reading I can shoot 2 bucks so I’ll still be able to go back for muzzleloader if I get one. Should be fun always like covering new ground.

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Never hunted Mass before but with snow coming this weekend I think I’m heading there Monday morning found a few big pieces of public land that should give me room to track.

It’s shotgun only so I’m going to dust of the slug gun today although I swore I would never do it again.

Anyone ever hunted over there? License prices aren’t bad at all and it’s a lot closer than Maine and New Hampshire.

Nothing to offer other than good luck and I hope you share your experience on here.....

• Like 1

Did not hunt MA, but hunted Tunxis state forest in CT which is next to Granville state forest in MA. Saw a few deer over the years, that was when I first started hunting, but never connected. Supposed to get some snow on Monday. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bba31372f13873ea8187d7dffc21c01e.jpg

Little range action for the old meat getter. I had almost forgot how much I hate shooting slug guns but was quickly reminded! She’s dialed in don’t know what slugs I want to shoot. Those are the only two types I could find around. The SST’s shot a bit better right around 2” and the whitetails shot about 3” groups. I doped the scope for both so when I decide what ones I’ll dial her in.

• Like 2

I used a 20 guage last year on the Island for the shotgun season we have in january. I think you'd like that a lot more than a 12. Cant you use your muzzeloader though?

Back when I hunted a shotgun I hunted with a 20ga. I don’t have that gun anymore, if I enjoy this trip I’ll have another 20ga for sure!

If it still snowing Monday I’ll be carrying my 20 with a smooth bore and rifled slugs setup with a peep sight.

• Like 1

Best of luck over in MA. I'm pretty curious to read how you make out over there.

This storm is supposed to be nasty, so be safe on the roads! I know you are used to driving in the snow, but a lot of other morons think they know how to drive in snow, but don't.

Best of luck over in MA. I'm pretty curious to read how you make out over there.
This storm is supposed to be nasty, so be safe on the roads! I know you are used to driving in the snow, but a lot of other morons think they know how to drive in snow, but don't.

Thanks, the drive Monday morning will be crappy but I’ll take my time. I’m more worried about the roads into the state land. As long as they don’t close gates I’ll be fine, we are bringing 2 trucks and I have a winch and a couple comealongs so we’ll be fine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Thanks, the drive Monday morning will be crappy but I’ll take my time. I’m more worried about the roads into the state land. As long as they don’t close gates I’ll be fine, we are bringing 2 trucks and I have a winch and a couple comealongs so we’ll be fine.

Be safe driving! You'll be getting fresh snow though, so thats a good thing at least