Twist Rate versus Bullet Weight

Elmo

Is there a general rule when it comes to barrel twist rate versus bullet weight?  As in is it better to use a lighter bullet when using a faster twist rate versus a slower twist rate, etc.?

Also, I'm assuming the lower the number the faster the twist rate.  i.e. 1-8" is faster than 1-12".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Is there a general rule when it comes to barrel twist rate versus bullet weight?  As in is it better to use a lighter bullet when using a faster twist rate versus a slower twist rate, etc.?

Also, I'm assuming the lower the number the faster the twist rate.  i.e. 1-8" is faster than 1-12".

They have charts for this 

Bullet Weight Twist
55-Grain 1:9
62-Grain 1:8 or 1:7
77-Grain 1:7 or 1:8
80-Grain 1:7
Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

Lighter bullets dont need as much twist to stabilize. Wereas a heavier, generally longer bullet needs more twist to ensure it is stable at distance. If you shoot a heavy bullet through a barrel with a slow twist you can expect to get tumbling or sporadic flight, the same can be said for a light bullet thats spun to much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter007 said:

They have charts for this 

Bullet Weight Twist
55-Grain 1:9
62-Grain 1:8 or 1:7
77-Grain 1:7 or 1:8
80-Grain 1:7

Cool.  Where can I get other charts like these.  That one looks like it's for a 22 caliber.

• Like 1

At what distance ? I have shot every round from a 100 grain bullet to a 220 grain bullet out of my Remy. 700 BDL at 100 yards off of a bench and there was no more then an 1/8" difference  , in between them all. Out beyond 200 Yds. might be different  

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Cool.  Where can I get other charts like these.  That one looks like it's for a 22 caliber.

Yes  that's for 223 

Here is  the article 

https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ar-15-barrel-twist-explained/

You will have to search around for other calibers but I'm sure there are charts for just about every common caliber  out there .

2 hours ago, LongWayFromHome said:

I have a .25-35 Win., with a 1-8 twist bbl. The 117 grain bullets fly jam up and jelly tight. The lighter slugs don't do well. I can have the rifle easily re-barreled with a 1-10 twist. Any opinions A/O advice ?

If you have a .25-35 it is  probably antique....If it shoots well with the 117 grain, I would not phuck with it...That's my advice...

• Like 2