Best boots

cbyzerman

It wasn't even cold yesterday and i was freezing my ass off.  Is there any chance that boots get old or maybe I am getting old?..... Artic mucks are not working anymore.  Please let me know what you guys are using in the extreme cold cause these things are not even working on a 35 degree day...

Not sure what your calling old .   My feet swet  now . I never had this problem  a few years ago.  My feet get cold . I have changed my foot wear protocol.  Antiperspirant spray . Followed by polypropylene  socks . Smartwool socks and boots  2 sizes bigger . Seems to help .  Boots go on dryer  as soon as I get home . I always have dry socks in my truck  and a change of boots for midday  change . Seems to help .35 years ago I use to hunt in tennis  shoes and my feet never got cold.... then again I never set still . We still hunted and did drives ..

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 2

The boots you have are reputed to be very good for cold temps, for various reasons there are folks that just do not tolerate the cold well. A friend of mine uses these toe warmers for ice fishing in the bitterest of weather and he swears by them, they are small and thin. A whole box of 40 pair go for around $30.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, airedale said:

The boots you have are reputed to be very good for cold temps, for various reasons there are folks that just do not tolerate the cold well. A friend of mine uses these toe warmers for ice fishing in the bitterest of weather and he swears by them, they are small and thin. A whole box of 40 pair go for around $30.

I can vouch for these, too. They really make a difference taking the chill off. I started using them this season. Walmart sells packs of 7 pairs for$6, as well.

• Like 1

Jeepers people recommending the Baffins and it hasn’t even gotten to single digits yet. Baffins are the best cold weather boot I’ve ever worn but you don’t want to walk very far in them. Mine stay in the closet until we have below zero temps. They’re too warm to wear otherwise.

I don’t have the ones moog posted they might be better in the warmer days than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Jeepers people recommending the Baffins and it hasn’t even gotten to single digits yet. Baffins are the best cold weather boot I’ve ever worn but you don’t want to walk very far in them. Mine stay in the closet until we have below zero temps. They’re too warm to wear otherwise.

I don’t have the ones moog posted they might be better in the warmer days than mine.

Bought at your recommendation I believe. They are too warm for most days.  Haven’t used them this year.  They still have an insulated insert.   I agree on the walking.   Clunky.  But plenty warm.  

I bought a pair of Kennetrek Northern PAC boots a few weeks ago. They were pricey (got them on sale at Midway) but so far so good-warmer than my Arctic Mucks and trim fitting for a PAC boot. Toughest test was 8 hours in 20 degree weather-good.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:35 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Huge difference between walking and sitting , i could walk all day in muck boots with no insulation , if im sitting my feet always get cold, even with big Frankenstein boots. 

• Like 3

Huge difference between walking and sitting , i could walk all day in muck boots with no insulation , if im sitting my feet always get cold, even with big Frankenstein boots. 

I understand that, I think it really boils down to the individual. I ice fish 3-4 times a week while there’s ice and only wear lacrosse burlys with 200gram insulation with a good wool sock until it’s single digits and I bust out my Baffins. But I know guys that wear big pack boots when it’s 30 and still get cold feet.

I agree I have the muck artic pro supposed to be their warmest boot and there are still days sitting where my feet get cold

Cold feet are my cryptonite - have tried everything. If I’m moving/still hunting im ok. if I sit after a long walk to the stand, A dry change of socks is a must. , I sweat regardless if I walk 300 yards or 1 hour to my  stand. 

Cold feet also have a lot to do with circulation as well, anyone having pre existing circulation issues may have  problems with cold feet, as well as diabetics can too. Also, remember to keep an “ air pocket” or don’t over tighten your laces as it will cut off the circulation to a certain extent 

• Like 1

My feet were just fine in a $ 40 pair of army surplus mickey mouse boots and a pair of wool blend socks, sitting still for 4 hours in 9 degrees F up north this morning.  Why anyone would want to spend more than that on cold weather boots is beyond my understanding.  They are also waterproof, but only about 10" high.   

Edited by wolc123

I had a lot of issues previous years with cold feet and switched to these:

Cabelas Mens Zone Comfort Trac Insulate Rubber Boots

One important lesson I learned is you don't want to be packed into your boot.  I used to wear two pairs of thick socks. I had no extra room in the boot and my feet would get cold.  Then I switched to one pair of quality middle weight socks.  I now have more room for circulation and my feet are much warmer.  

I hate the cold but these 2,000 gram boots work great in sub-zero temps. You'll see some of the negative reviews are for being "too warm"

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INFERNO-G/2498569.uts?productVariantId=5697320&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=05061639&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInf2aqo6a5gIVwcDICh3iQwcgEAQYASABEgLOdPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

Might have to order a pair!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That extra room makes a big difference, 2000 gram WOW that is crazy, I understand why some complain it's to warm.  Those toe warmers work very well, also good to keep some in your gloves.  (Note they need air to work properly!)   A blood thinner like aspirin also helps with circulation, check with doctor, don't take if using any blood thinners.  A good pair of thin socks like stated above (Polypropylene) work good for me along with a thicker pair on top.  

For this time of year when the temps start staying cold and the snow cover stays I go with the insulated-Gore-Tex  LL Bean Maine hunting boot. For the hunting I do they have over the years been the best all around compromise for wet, snow and cold. For extreme cold weather hunting where I would be sitting for longer periods of time (which ain't often these days) I have a pair of Canadian Sorrels with the thick wool felt liners, clod hoppers for sure and not made for walking for long distances as far as I am concerned. Have your cold weather boots sized a little big so you can comfortably wear a pair of thick wool socks.

Just slathered the leather on the Bean's with Obenauf's conditioner and set them in front of the kitchen cookstove to let it heat up and soak in.

Al

2019-12-03_144423.png