Question: Hunting on private property Long Island

apg

I’ve got access to a small acre lot in a residential neighborhood of Southampton. It butts up against other houses on both sides and a creek at the base.

I’m wondering if I can legit hunt on the property - I’m told I am allowed as the landowner (well it’s family land), and as long as the folks next door don’t mind me passing through their property to retrieve a deer.

I always thought it was illegal but I’m

Guessing I’m wrong in that assumption now. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you are bow hunting. Law says you cant discharge within 150 feet of an occupied dwelling(or have permission from owner). But be aware your neighbors are very likely to call the police. So make sure to measure correctly.

Edit. Make sure town doesn't have their own random rule.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Sometime towns have their own ordinances against hunting. Probably a better idea to gain access to recover prior to hunting from the next few properties on each side.

It’s a different hunting experience. I had access to a sweet property with bucks galore like clockwork. Climb for my first sit and had a neighbors kids riding his Big Wheels in the driveway within my sight. Climbed down and never returned. I don’t need that headache when an arrowed deer runs over a kid next door

• Sad 1

Great advice, thank you. I know the neighbor would freak. They’re more skittish than deer hahaha. So I’ll play careful but damn there’s so many deer here I can’t not hunt. Even if part of the hunt is stealthily moving around people’s property in pursuit of a dying beast.

Check the town of south Hamptons government website. I have hunted East Hampton in the past and if I recall correctly there were several town ordinances with which you had to comply. I could be wrong but I believe I needed a landowner permission form on me (special east Hampton form), the landowner needed to own enough property and there were day / time restrictions certain times of the year (no weekends etc). I am guessing south Hampton may have something similar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Check the town ordinance like everyone is saying. It's a grey area where i live because a bow is considered a firearm and there's no discharging a firearm. However it also says you need to be 500 ft from structures while bow hunting.

So some guy hunts a field down from my house (urban) and has dozens of deer of all ages running around.... Meanwhile i cant even target practice

Completely legal if your outside of 150’ if someone’s house you don’t have permission. Many houses are mostly vacant after September...I think sometimes discretion is best. Unless you have a point of contact with a neighbor or know they may be open to it sometimes better to not raise any eyebrows. As someone else said wether you like it or not it’s being hunted out here. People are complete savages.

An acre is not much land to shoot and RECOVER the deer. Most likely it will die on another property. LEGAL recovery with permission will likely be difficult. Permission can be denied and those with a dead deer under the swingset or out the dining room window will piss people off.

Long Island is one of those places that someone might call police and even sue you because their poor child had to see a dead deer. But Long Island hunting land is hard to come by. 

Did you see the video of the hunter getting harassed by a dad and his kid out on the island. And he wasn't even hunting at the time. Imagine that same family saw you dragging bambi to your car?