From One Hobby To Another.....

grampy

Deer season is pretty much over for me. Tagged out, got two nice bucks, was a great season!

Now on to playing music! Got a big solo gig coming up in a couple weeks. A private party I've done for a few years now. Last year had well over 300 people there. They say more will be there this year! Cool! And they pay well. So I need to get in shape to give em their moneys worth!

Been getting away from playing gigs for awhile now. Figured, "hell your just to old". Haven't played in a band in years, and don't care to anymore. But have helped out, and filled in on occasion  when asked. I do enjoy going downstairs to play for myself, or at a campfire. But was thinking tonight, I may just book some parties and restaurant/bar gigs for this summer? I still get calls to do em. Hey....why not! I'm not dead yet! I play stuff from the 50s to some current stuff. Hank to Bruno Mars. Country, bluegrass, folk, rock, oldies, fast, slow any way ya want me to go. With an original or two thrown in. Seems to work. Almost always get asked to come back? Guess when I dont get asked to come back, then maybe then I'll be too old?

What are some of your hobby's not associated with hunting?

20191130_212243.thumb.jpg.d538766751d13989e25a6b9bf0417806.jpg20191130_204755.thumb.jpg.0ed70c521f26c1408694f1c2baf3f3b9.jpg

• Like 24

I have been getting back into bushcrafting and back woods camping for the past 7 years. I might have a few health issues that keep from doing it full on these days, but like you said, I'm not dead yet, so I want as much dirt time as I can get.

Got my ferro rod and knife fire starting skills almost fully dialed back in over the past Spring, Summer, and fall. Got a fire going with wet wood using this method on our week long camp up North, some fat wood helped a lot. Even started the wood stove using hard wood shavings and my mini ferro rod.

I set some goals for this coming Spring and Summer. #1, even though I cannot sleep on the ground anymore, I am going to set up a tarp shelter and sleep on my cot under that. I might pick up some bug netting to use for this as well to keep skeeters from invading.

Also for the first time in my life, I bought a folding hand saw. They work wonders in backwoods camping. Most of the time I look for wood I can just break over my knee, but having a few logs with more diameter makes it nice not to have to feed the fire every 1/2 hour or less.

I just wanna be outdoors!

• Like 4

As soon as ice gets on my lakes, I am ice fishing. I do it every weekend and lots of times I fish for crappies at night after work. My wife hates most of my hobbies, but she likes to go out on warmer days to fish and grill up some fresh fillets on the ice. I also have one little girl that is 6 that is ready to go anytime i call, and she is always a joy to have around the shanty and loves to chase flags on the tip ups.

From late March til October I go all over attending dirt modified races. I grew up around it just like hunting, and it has stuck with me my whole life. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Elmo said:

Hiking/camping, photography, and now drone video/photography.  Basically anything that'll give me a reason to get outdoors.

Are you a licensed pilot for the drone? It will open up a ton of business ops. for flying the drone and you get played to take the cool pictures.

We like to camp and go kayaking. Usually camp at our land once a year, and go on a few trips up north every summer. Living in the finger lakes, we have a lot of opportunities to kayak.

Made sure to pick hobbies that would include my wife. She's a good sport about me being gone all hunting season, so hanging with her in summer is the least I can do!

FB_IMG_1569447574451.jpg

IMG_20190928_100444861.jpg

IMG_20190901_075857061.jpg

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, grampy said:

Deer season is pretty much over for me. Tagged out, got two nice bucks, was a great season!

Now on to playing music! Got a big solo gig coming up in a couple weeks. A private party I've done for a few years now. Last year had well over 300 people there. They say more will be there this year! Cool! And they pay well. So I need to get in shape to give em their moneys worth!

Been getting away from playing gigs for awhile now. Figured, "hell your just to old". Haven't played in a band in years, and don't care to anymore. But have helped out, and filled in on occasion  when asked. I do enjoy going downstairs to play for myself, or at a campfire. But was thinking tonight, I may just book some parties and restaurant/bar gigs for this summer? I still get calls to do em. Hey....why not! I'm not dead yet! I play stuff from the 50s to some current stuff. Hank to Bruno Mars. Country, bluegrass, folk, rock, oldies, fast, slow any way ya want me to go. With an original or two thrown in. Seems to work. Almost always get asked to come back? Guess when I dont get asked to come back, then maybe then I'll be too old?

20191130_212243.thumb.jpg.d538766751d13989e25a6b9bf0417806.jpg20191130_204755.thumb.jpg.0ed70c521f26c1408694f1c2baf3f3b9.jpg

Cool! Old bass player here - too bad we’re not closer, be good to jam with ya!

• Like 2

I go from one hobby to another usually without a day off in between.

Deer season leads to ice fishing, ice fishing leads to getting the boat in the water wherever the ice thaws first to chase salmon and trout. Other than July-sept when I work all my doubles I’m lucky to be outside doing a hobby at least 3 days a week more when I’m off for May and deer season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave, I admire your musical skills...I love music and would one day like to be able to play one decently.  I've been an art teacher for the last 20 years, and a lot of the kids are super talented in music.  So over the years I've acquired some musical instruments -drums, guitar, ukulele , with the idea of learning how to play when I retire.

My hobbies include competitive trapshooting, golfing, cartooning (especially caricature artwork)

Love the woodwork biggamefish!  Beautiful work!

1086-1424557111-258587b4e121b7404a491af8041bec85.jpg

Untitled_Artwork (13).jpg

• Like 3

Uh oh! Do I sense that grampy’s next gig should be our next GTG! How cool would that be

• Like 3

After hunting season I start puttering around with my hunting equipment and firearms, Trigger jobs, scope changes, stock bedding and better handloads, seems like I am in the never ending search for perfection. Motorcycles get some attention in the Spring and Summer. 

That stuff has a few months to go yet, as I look at the hunting seasons small game is still going strong and I like that hunting  a whole lot better than Deer hunting.

Grouse and Pheasant are open till Feb 29

Cottontail Rabbit and Hare till March 15

Squirrel till Feb 29

Crows till March 31

Coyote till March 29

Coons, Fox and Possums till Feb 15

THE FUN HAS JUST BEGUN!:yes:

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

So for me no surprise here my number one hobby is food, everything I do is based off of food. I hunt or started hunting because I wanted to be more connected to my food. That’s why I also started fly fishing. That has really become a passion of mine and I try to go up to the Delaware at least once a week from April to August. Funny thing here the more I learned about the eco system up there the less I actually keep the wild trout for food. My love of fishing and just being up there is more important that me damaging a fragile eco system to take trout.

I also travel and take trips mainly for the food. Every vacation I take I try to go to some local spot that you won’t find tourists and eat what the locals eat. This has brought me to some really cool places. Eating cow foot soup down some back alley in the Cayman Islands. Hanging out and doing shots and smoking as he put it American cigarettes with a cafe owner in Sicily. Eating squid that I watched get pulled out of the ocean in Greece. Eating and getting sick from tripe soup in Nogales Mexico.

Finally my last hobby is cooking. My love for this has come and gone numerous times over the years. The farther I become detached from the day to day Grind of being in a professional kitchen the more my passion for cooking returns.

• Like 2

I work on my collection of Bus Plunge articles, as well as add to my extensive yard stick collection . I was into collecting celebrity toe nail clippings , but the Chinese have been flooding the market with knock offs lately.

CB453372-6374-4537-B4EA-5DB931F8B084.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, halfnelson said:

Dave, I admire your musical skills...I love music and would one day like to be able to play one decently.  I've been an art teacher for the last 20 years, and a lot of the kids are super talented in music.  So over the years I've acquired some musical instruments -drums, guitar, ukulele , with the idea of learning how to play when I retire.

My hobbies include competitive trapshooting, golfing, cartooning (especially caricature artwork)

Love the woodwork biggamefish!  Beautiful work!

1086-1424557111-258587b4e121b7404a491af8041bec85.jpg

Untitled_Artwork (13).jpg

I used to draw a ton in my younger years, loved drawing album covers. Eddie from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc . I used to be pretty good, actually sold quiet a few to fellow class mates . 

Home brewing really amps up after deer season is done. We are working on a plan for a bourbon barrel aged stout and lots of other interesting beers. The brewing room is pretty much complete but there’s always new and useful equipment to be acquired. 
It’s a hobby with a lot of perks. We’ve gotten to know the brewers at all the nearby breweries and frequently get invited to tasting sessions where new beers are shared and critiqued.
Lots of outdoor related activities to stay busy with all year round but there’s nothing as exciting as archery season. 

0E1FDED3-A5CB-4D57-A40E-941C9307EDAF.jpeg

• Like 2