From One Hobby To Another.....

grampy

5 hours ago, biggamefish said:

Are you a licensed pilot for the drone? It will open up a ton of business ops. for flying the drone and you get played to take the cool pictures.

No and at the moment, I don't plan to.  I don't fancy myself as being that good.  I do it more for fun.  I did take some pictures for a newspaper once.  I think I got paid $175 for like 5 pictures in the article.  For me it was more about the experience than the money.  I've also taken some wedding photos for friends for free.  I found that if I had a day to spend, I rather spend the day hiking a trail and shooting the landscape than getting $175 to take pictures of stuff I have no interest in.

• Like 1

During the winter I like to bitch and complain about it mostly.  Kinda a hobby lol. In winter work gets tough. Will be up before 4am tomorrow.  Tried ice fishing and just never got into it.  Have some buddies that snowmobile, same thing with that.  I'm not big on the winter cold. 

In the winter I like to cook. Usually make a homemade soup every couple of weeks. Then work on fishing tackle for the spring. As that's my 50/50 hobby with hunting for sure. 

Besides music, some of my other hobbies are.....

Ice fishing.

Bass, trout, walleye and pan fishing.

Boating.

Hand loading rifle cartridges.

Farming and food plots at farm property. Along with gardening at home.

Hunter Education. And mentoring new hunters.

Shooting archery. Shooting rifles at the range.

Head of archery committee at sportsman's club.

Going to all my grandson's baseball and football games.

Helping family and friends with anything, anytime.

Road trips with Mrs grampy, who says I have way too many damn hobbies!

Some really great responses so far!!!

Keep em coming guys and girls!

Yikes! Too many to keep up with for sure....I think one of the reasons I was so late to the archery game was I had too many hobbies to begin with.  So glad I did take it up, it’s been a real game changer for my hunting.  

On the hunting front,,,, archery for deer, shotgun and muzzleloader too.  Also some bird hunting, much more of it when my Brittany was younger.  Also some duck and goose hunting.  And spring turkey hunting.  Besides “hunting”:

Ice fishing (so looking forward to this season!)

I shoot in a weekly archery league on Thursday nights, that is a lot of fun and a great bunch of guys too.  

Walleye and bass fishing at the cottage in Ontario Canada, with a weeks trip to Quebec about every other year. (2020 is on, who wants to go?)

I have tied flies before and have the whole shebang of stuff to do it, but I don’t really trout fish so I don’t really tie much anymore.  I may tie a few things up for ice fishing, we will see. 

Woodworking, from trim work to furniture. Just getting back into this after a 15 year or so hiatus.

Canning - mostly tomatoes and peppers, but I do a couple of other things too if the mood strikes me or I have time in early fall. (Less of that now with archery)

Winemaking - my brother, brother-in-law and best friend make 90 gallons of red wine, either Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon.   We buy the grapes from California and crush and squeeze them on equipment that was passed down from our Father and Grandfather.  

Cottaging at “cottage” in Canada. There, they are not “camps” they are “cottages”, eh.  This usually involves beer drinking and grilling or smoking dinner, followed by bourbon drinking. 

I do some gardening too. Garlic, tomatoes, herbs.  But a lot more of flowers outside in the landscape beds and pots etc.  I plant probably close to 1000 flowers around the house, and then spend a lot of time watering, fertilizing and weeding.  On top of that we have a larger perennial flower bed that takes a lot of work too. 

I cut about 20 face cords of firewood a year to burn in the wood stove. That’s another couple of weekends.  I also have about 15 acres of pasture to keep mowed (no more horses), plus the food plots I have been adding the past couple of years - so I get a fair amount of tractor seat time from May to October, then put a snow plow on the tractor and plow the driveway with it too.  Not really a hobby I guess, but I don’t hire it out either. 

Is going to SU Basketball a hobby too?  Add that on.  And cooking too - love to cook, especially for holidays.  

I am going to nap now. 

Tuning, tinkering and occasionally riding this cursed thing. 

1980 KZ750E1, hopped up cams, 4 into 1 Kerker and custom jetting. Ugly but she runs and sings like a scalded dog.

My gf finds her peace in yoga. Yes dear I tell her, my peaceful place is at 9000k in 3rd gear lol. Big old smile on my face after i thrash the old cuss (the bike!) for a bit and coast home. Put's a crap day in perspective lol.

20190815_131439.jpg

• Like 1

Can't play in my golf league since the kids were born.  Haven't swung a club since 2017, just too damn time consuming.  I can't stand being halfway into something, golf in particular I need to be either improving or just leave it alone. 

Besides when the weather is nicer I want to work on plotting and improving the farm. 

Between December and April I'll catch up on my reading and video games backlog.  

For a couple years, I have been scratching at fiddling. My only goal is to entertain myself, but the fiddle has a very high learning curve, especially if you don't read music. I have an acoustic guitar, which I am hoping to start strumming...again, I will be happy simply learning a few chords and singing some Johnny Cash to myself, but I really would like to get some lessons in to keep focused. 

I already reload, am an avid fisherman as time allows, and nothing makes me happier than having an old gizmo of some sort to repair and make functional again: clocks, lanterns, especially old firearms. I am in heaven if I have an old rifle or shotgun I am given or buy on the cheap to repair and get shooting.

Seasonally, I love riding my motorcycle, but don't have the time to put into it like I used to. I am an all day gone type of guy, and am in heaven if I can take off overnight or for a week (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Quebec, etc...I tend to go where there aren't other people).

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 10:24 PM, grampy said:

Deer season is pretty much over for me. Tagged out, got two nice bucks, was a great season!

Now on to playing music! Got a big solo gig coming up in a couple weeks. A private party I've done for a few years now. Last year had well over 300 people there. They say more will be there this year! Cool! And they pay well. So I need to get in shape to give em their moneys worth!

Been getting away from playing gigs for awhile now. Figured, "hell your just to old". Haven't played in a band in years, and don't care to anymore. But have helped out, and filled in on occasion  when asked. I do enjoy going downstairs to play for myself, or at a campfire. But was thinking tonight, I may just book some parties and restaurant/bar gigs for this summer? I still get calls to do em. Hey....why not! I'm not dead yet! I play stuff from the 50s to some current stuff. Hank to Bruno Mars. Country, bluegrass, folk, rock, oldies, fast, slow any way ya want me to go. With an original or two thrown in. Seems to work. Almost always get asked to come back? Guess when I dont get asked to come back, then maybe then I'll be too old?

What are some of your hobby's not associated with hunting?

20191130_212243.thumb.jpg.d538766751d13989e25a6b9bf0417806.jpg20191130_204755.thumb.jpg.0ed70c521f26c1408694f1c2baf3f3b9.jpg

Golf works for me after deer.

After deer season can get back into my gym routine more consistently not really into bulking but more for health mixing cardio with some moderate weight lifting. Also will be out for small game hunting mostly rabbits and grouse. I also like hiking mixed with dabbling in some wildlife photography mostly deer and turkey. Then when the weather breaks will be time for some fishing during spring and summer as well as playing softball. Lastly prepping for the following deer season. But most importantly family time, which is going to be extra special to include my new granddaughter due in April...first time Grandparent!

• Like 4

I’m a pretty avid bowler from September thru May then that turns into golf for the summer and then that turns into hunting until the cycle repeats again.

Of course with hunting being over that means I’m home a lot more on the weekends so plenty of time with the kids and working on projects around the house as well.

I’d like to get my motorcycle up and running this winter as she hasn’t ran in the last 5. It’s a simple throttle cable fix but it’s so low on the list I never get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photography, steelhead fishing, shed hunting, ice fishing, hiking, kayaking, camping, fly tying, fly fishing, motorcycles, ATVs, guns, shooting.... Now I know why my wife says I have too many hobbies, sometimes I'll tell her that something will get done once deer season is over and she replies, "then it'll be this season or that season!" She's not wrong!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

On 12/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, grampy said:

Besides music, some of my other hobbies are.....

Ice fishing.

Bass, trout, walleye and pan fishing.

Boating.

Hand loading rifle cartridges.

Farming and food plots at farm property. Along with gardening at home.

Hunter Education. And mentoring new hunters.

Shooting archery. Shooting rifles at the range.

Head of archery committee at sportsman's club.

Going to all my grandson's baseball and football games.

Helping family and friends with anything, anytime.

Road trips with Mrs grampy, who says I have way too many damn hobbies!

Some really great responses so far!!!

Keep em coming guys and girls!

I hope to get out Icefishing with you this year! Just didn't work out last year.

Here are some candle sticks I turned on the Lathe, This took some creative thinking to get the profile!

resized_11.jpg

resized_1.jpg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I hope to get out Icefishing with you this year! Just didn't work out last year.

Here are some candle sticks I turned on the Lathe, This took some creative thinking to get the profile!

resized_11.jpg

resized_1.jpg

Nice work Matt!!! They are beautiful! The candlesticks, as well as your little princess!

For sure! We will gather up the youngsters, and head over Cole Hill, to Onderdonk, and do some ice fishing!!

I'll be looking forward to it right after the holidays.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 4:19 PM, JALA RUT said:

After deer season can get back into my gym routine more consistently not really into bulking but more for health mixing cardio with some moderate weight lifting. Also will be out for small game hunting mostly rabbits and grouse. I also like hiking mixed with dabbling in some wildlife photography mostly deer and turkey. Then when the weather breaks will be time for some fishing during spring and summer as well as playing softball. Lastly prepping for the following deer season. But most importantly family time, which is going to be extra special to include my new granddaughter due in April...first time Grandparent!

Same here, cardio 4 days moderate lifting 1 day.  Carrying around all that extra bulk isn't doing much for me in my old age.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

So during covid I took up the hobby of collecting starting lineups.  Im sure most of you remember them as kids, or buying them for your kids.  The plastic sports figures.  If you guys got any that you want to part ways with shoot me a pm.  

I have the Nolan Ryan on the Texas Rangers  was still in the package until my wife made it into a Christmas tree ornament.  Still one of my favorite ornaments when decorating the tree each year.  I need to pull out my old baseball card albums and reminisce.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lomax said:

I have the Nolan Ryan on the Texas Rangers  was still in the package until my wife made it into a Christmas tree ornament.  Still one of my favorite ornaments when decorating the tree each year.  I need to pull out my old baseball card albums and reminisce.  

Thats too funny.  I have a trunk of old cards, sets and autographs.   My uncle owned a sporting goods store and was heavy into collecting.   Did tons of card shows across the east coast.  I was fortunate enough to get paid in collectibles.   I have some really valuable cards and autographs because of him. 

• Like 2

So during covid I took up the hobby of collecting starting lineups.  Im sure most of you remember them as kids, or buying them for your kids.  The plastic sports figures.  If you guys got any that you want to part ways with shoot me a pm.  
So are you displaying them? Looking for any specific ones in particular?
Just asking cause I loved them as a kid.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk