What is your go to hearing protection ?

Jeremy K

I plan to start attending the gun range more , typically i just stick some foam ear plugs in and call it good. I'm just curious what you guys are using to protect your ears . I plan to use the range at wolcotts on walden over the winter.  Also if you have some eye protection you really like ,i would like to hear what you recommend . 

I double up with foam earplugs and then an electric ear muff that blocks out loud sounds but amplifies small sounds. The ones I have I got from Sportsman's Guide years ago. They are nothing special. That way can still be able to talk to others on the range.

I am planning on shooting there starting in April. Maybe I will see you there sometime.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rattler said:

What???

LOL!  I like the in the ear plugs that use a string to keep them together.  They don't hit the stock of the rifle like muffs do and have high DB reduction too

Mostly for handgun shooting . I have a nice outdoor range to shoot the long guns at . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Problem is my club runs archery shoots all summer long . Always the weekends  I have off it seems .  No guns shooting during  archery events .

Ours is the exact opposite ,they have a nice archery range but is clearly the runt of their litter. 

For optimum protection I have a good set of over the ear muffs that I purchased many years ago for handgun bullseye competition, I would also use the disposable foam plugs in conjunction with the muffs as shooting indoors is very loud and this setup gave the best protection. 

For outdoor shooting in recent years I have gone to the plugs pictured below, They are out of the way for long guns, the sound protection is very good and the light weight and comfort of that type suits me.

Al

2019-12-01_083700.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I double up with foam earplugs and then an electric ear muff that blocks out loud sounds but amplifies small sounds. The ones I have I got from Sportsman's Guide years ago. They are nothing special. That way can still be able to talk to others on the range.
I am planning on shooting there starting in April. Maybe I will see you there sometime.

I have one of those electric muffs too! It’s pretty great to be able to hear what’s going on around you while shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I use electronic hearing protection at all times. I rarely take a shot with out it and if I do its a shotgun. Id never take another shot with out hearing protection with my rifle
Interesting....so you hunt with them on?

I once couldn't get in good position to take a shot out of a box blind on a deer that appeared out of a window I wasn't expecting it to be walking past.....well long story short the end of the barrel was inside the blind......it was a Muzzleloader no less.....and between the smoke that filled the blind and the loss of hearing for a few seconds I almost thought I was going to need to be air lifted of the hillside.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I once couldn't get in good position to take a shot out of a box blind on a deer that appeared out of a window I wasn't expecting it to be walking past.....well long story short the end of the barrel was inside the blind......it was a Muzzleloader no less.....and between the smoke that filled the blind and the loss of hearing for a few seconds I almost thought I was going to need to be air lifted of the hillside.

Yes I do. Id rather mess an opprotunity up than deal with that again. Only time i have trouble with them is when Im pheasant hunting in really thick crap

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

For hunting, I have been using the Walker's Silencer ear buds https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer-in-the-ear-pair/ for 25NRR protection. I have been good about using them each time I go out this year. I have mixed feelings about them. I have a hard time keeping them in my ear canal, especially if I am wearing a neck muff to cover the back of my head. Each time I turn left to right, they catch on the neck muff and work loose. It also seems like even the smallest foam cover is too big to stay in my ear canal. When they are inserted, they do actually help me hear better, as well as protect my hearing when i fire. I got these a couple years ago, it looks like there are fancier versions out now, that are rechargeable, bluetooth, etc. There also appears to be ones that are custom molded for your ears. I should look into those, but not sure if they amplify sound, maybe just protect.

• Like 1