if someone illegally leaves something on your property can you take possession of it?

Hunter007

Got a text from my neighbor wanted to know if this was my boat tied off  at my dock this morning. 

I said no  I have no idea who's it Is  find  out and let me know I said .

So can I keep it ?

If the owner does not come back right away , you think .

What are the laws about people leaving crap or parking / docking stuff on your property. 

IMG_42811.jpg

Edited by Hunter007

The guy may have had a mechanical problem or even a medical problem and had to take any port in a storm so to speak. Registered with an up to date sticker? Looks like a decent boat.
I’d give him the benefit of the doubt, make sure it’s tied off securely for him and give it time. If it’s still there in a day or two, maybe a call to the cops to verify it’s not stolen.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

The guy may have had a mechanical problem or even a medical problem and had to take any port in a storm so to speak. Registered with an up to date sticker? Looks like a decent boat.
I’d give him the benefit of the doubt, make sure it’s tied off securely for him and give it time. If it’s still there in a day or two, maybe a call to the cops to verify it’s not stolen.

Yea probably something like that breakdown or it  came loose who knows .

I Don't live there so the neighbor was just watching out for me.

Will see what happens more then likely it will disappear by tomorrow if I had to guess .

Wondering if for what ever reason can't track down the owner if you can keep it . :) be nice hehehe 

Edited by Hunter007

9 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Possession is 9/10ths of the law. I dont think docking means you its yours. If they left it on your property on the trailer thats a different story 

If it was a emergency no problem law of the sea .

If it wasn't a  emergency problem .

Dock space is not free anywhere and that's not a public dock . 

I'm thinking a  breakdown or kids going on joyride with a stolen boat or perhaps my Gardner decided to use it with out my permission.  

Will see what happens. 

I need to get some cams over there I  think now . 

1 minute ago, Hunter007 said:

If it was a emergency no problem law of the sea .

If it wasn't a  emergency problem .

Dock space is not free anywhere and that's not a public dock . 

I'm thinking a  breakdown or kids going on joyride with a stolen boat or perhaps my Gardner decided to use it with out my permission.  

Will see what happens. 

I need to get some cams over there I  think now . 

No its not free, but its technically still in the water and the water is not your property. Have your neighbor watch a little more now I guess

1 minute ago, ATbuckhunter said:

No its not free, but its technically still in the water and the water is not your property. Have your neighbor watch a little more now I guess

Not to mention he'd have to trespass to even get there from land.   Unless he got on another boat  strange  .

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Actually apples and oranges. You'd have to trespass to hang the stand. That boater may not have. 

If he is on or attached to a private dock  its trespassing it's right on the dec website. 

Edited by Hunter007

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

what state?

Even here its trespassing.  

And I know down south same 

Private Property

Riparian Rights

Riparian (shoreline) landowners are afforded certain rights by virtue of their proximity to public waters. For example, they have the right to seek a permit from the state to use the underwater lands in front of their property for placement of a boat dock or mooring. As with any private property, landowners have the right to access their own property, including the shoreline.

Edited by Hunter007