if someone illegally leaves something on your property can you take possession of it?

Hunter007

On 12/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, Hunter007 said:

Dock space is not free anywhere and that's not a public dock . 

That’s barely  a dock,  certainly not one I’d not walk on, what with all the missing planks , rotten ones, twisted section and so on . You should post warning signs , maybe you’ll get lucky and he pull away without untying , and that hazard will be gone  forever .

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

That’s barely  a dock,  certainly not one I’d not walk on, what with all the missing planks , rotten ones, twisted section and so on . You should post warning signs , maybe you’ll get lucky and he pull away without untying , and that hazard will be gone  forever .

Hurricane damage and some dumb ass crashes into it .

20191110_093140.jpg

Edited by Hunter007

7 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Even here its trespassing.  

And I know down south same 

Private Property

Riparian Rights

Riparian (shoreline) landowners are afforded certain rights by virtue of their proximity to public waters. For example, they have the right to seek a permit from the state to use the underwater lands in front of their property for placement of a boat dock or mooring. As with any private property, landowners have the right to access their own property, including the shoreline.

what state is it?

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Lol good luck with that. I don't know why I bit this?  If I was a fish I wouldn't last long.  Carry on. 

The Boat  was gone  later that day my neighbor  said  so no luck  this time lol 

But  I know a guy who has a  beach rental business. 

And some of the kayaks  he has actually just washed up on on shore  after a big storm  and he took possession of them lol It happens. 

12 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Does it really bother you so much that an unknown boat tied off on a vacant ramshackle dock for about a day that your first thought is how to lay claim to it?

Bothered my neighbor enough to text me and send a picture.  

As far as laying claim to it . What else should I think ?

The dock is already f up that is all I need someone illegally using it to further the damage. 

Unless I do it myself cost 7 k to make a new one . 

Actually.. I hate to do it but I have to agree with stormy, a little at least. I owned a 40ft trawler for a bunch of years and private docks were exactly that.... private.  Tying up to a private dock is not legal and its not ethical either.  This is a known concept in the boating world and those whom violate can most times expect retribution if caught. Think about it this way. You have a designated parking spot for your car in your condo lot. Someone parks there. You call the tow truck and they are towed for illegally parking.   For a boat, you pay for a slip to park. Your designated spot you pay a monthly fee for or in this case you own some of the parking area. That said not sure I would make a federal case out of someone parking there for an afternoon, though I would keep an eye on things. If that dock leads to somewhere like a house with my guns in it, I would be a bit more jumpy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually.. I hate to do it but I have to agree with stormy, a little at least. I owned a 40ft trawler for a bunch of years and private docks were exactly that.... private.  Tying up to a private dock is not legal and its not ethical either.  This is a known concept in the boating world and those whom violate can most times expect retribution if caught. Think about it this way. You have a designated parking spot for your car in your condo lot. Someone parks there. You call the tow truck and they are towed for illegally parking.   For a boat, you pay for a slip to park. Your designated spot you pay a monthly fee for or in this case you own some of the parking area. That said not sure I would make a federal case out of someone parking there for an afternoon, though I would keep an eye on things. If that dock leads to somewhere like a house with my guns in it, I would be a bit more jumpy. 

Not saying he’s wrong to be annoyed about it but to think he can keep it is just insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Thank you. Al Bundy 

Thats another thing  that house has been broken In to already 2 times 

Maybe I should have mentioned it at the beginning of this post .

and so has my Neighbors so of course  I'm going to worry about it and so would you if it was yours .

.."Not saying he’s wrong to be annoyed about it but to think he can keep it is just insane" 

Agreed  100%, to a point though. If its left for a certain amount of time, considered abandoned, something like this then there is a legal process to lay salvage claim to it. I don't know the law, but I do know that it does in fact exist with all sorts of legal caveats. I wouldn't even be thinking that though in this situation.  You are correct this is a insane question in this situation in my opinion as well.

• Like 1

Thank you. Al Bundy 
Thats another thing  that house has been broken In to already 2 times 
Maybe I should have mentioned it at the beginning of this post .
 and so has my Neighbors so of course  I'm going to worry about it and so would you if it was yours .

Bro you are insane what does your house being broken into have to do with keeping a boat. Your original post showed non concern for the safety of your home, only a desire to keep the boat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chef said:

Not saying he’s wrong to be annoyed about it but to think he can keep it is just insane

I was saying it 

figuratively , 

Not literally. 

Did you really think I was just going to take that boat  after a few  hours and claim it , come on, lol 

It takes time and there is a legal process. 

Edited by Hunter007