blackbeltbill

SO-- Will 1 Call Really Do It All??

Enders is right- the Forum is Dead. So up goes a Sunday Thread to reflect on. Now back last April, I was in a Sporting Goods Store with my Pheasant Hunting partner- Big Chris. Of course, I was checking out what was in the Turkey area. Gobbler Decoys that looked more real then the real thing and costing a good 70 Bucks. Of course, I checked out the Calls as well.Man-- the prices have gone up!  I saw a Tiny 2" Plastic Pot by Primos-- the Sonic Dome. Crystal over Glass. 9.98, I believe it cost. I only use Glass Pots in a Light rain or if it is threatening to rain. So Big Chris sees that and says to me-- YO- don't you have enough Damn Calls?!! Meanwhile- there he is with ANOTHER Green Frog to add to his Hundreds of Fishing Lures. So, I mentioned that! Now Big Chris is a Top Bass Fisherman. He even has a Tattoo that Says-- Fish On. He could care less for Turkeys though or even Deer. He only Hunts Pheasants..      So-- is 1 Call really all you need. In my opinion-- not on Public Land. I don't know what happens on Private Lands- but, I think if you sit around a Food Plot long enough and have 1 Call or even no Calls-- something Big will eventually amble on by. But what about Public Ground? In my opinion--  a good 3 or 4 different Calls should be carried. Personally if, I hunt the exact same area the next morning, I will bring 3 or 4 Different Calls out with me. These Public Big Birds have heard it all. And each Hen has a slightly different voice. Alot of Spring Hunters don't believe that. Too, I really believe that a 3,4,5 year old Gobbler can Pattern the Spring Hunter. In a Perfect world on Public Land, I will always want that mature 2 year old Gobbler. He Will Make mistakes and makes Rookie Spring Turkey Hunters- World Beaters. Getting back to older Tom's Patterning Hunters. Early on when,bought every Turkey video, I could get my hands on, I made a Habit of trying to figure out what a unseen Spring hunter was using as far as calls.It took some years-- but, I got better at it and was most always right when the Guy being filmed started to talk. That is a Box Call That is a Traditional Slate Call, That is a Glass Call, or that is a Tube. The hardest to figure out were the Mouth Diaphragms and the Wingbones/ Yelpers. But if, I hear the exact same scenario or combination several times, I would then reflect and say that is a Diaphragm Call.Now getting back to that 3,4,5 year old Gobbler whose very Life hangs in the Balance- do you think he can Pin you out. Most Spring Hunters would say a resounding- NO.  I remember a mid May Spring Hunt at Stewart. I was at a high point overlooking a Field and was behind a number of Conifers. In addition to that, I was lying in a comfortable Bank with only my  head with headnet on,Camo Shotgun, and Shoulders showing. A big ol Gobbler moved into the field and was out a good 70 yards. I started to Yelp on a Box and that Gobbler SPRINTED out of the Field. Man-- that bothered me. My hands were hidden and the Notes were good. Nothing else Spooked him.  Could it be that he heard ANOTHER Box a week earlier and then felt a horrible Sting on one side of him followed by a loud Boom and immediately thereafter a Dark 2 Legged Giant came Running at him.  Most Spring Hunters would say - No Way. Everything within 1 Hour is forgotten by that Gobbler. OR IS IT?!  Also it is good to remember that most Spring Turkey Hunters will not Practice with their Calls until 2 Weeks before the Season. If that . Most will practice a day or two before May 1st. Off Notes and Big Ass Mistakes that makes things Super Tough after just 3 Days. I see it every year. The Gobbling is great for 3 Days and then the Turkeys wise up. They won't Gobble as much on the Ground as now they are seeing these  Huge Dark Forms Slither around the Field Edges. Good to remember also that with each Spring-- the most Vocal Gobblers are removed from the Gene pool. 10 years go by-- 20 years go by- 30 years go by and now going on 2020- what do we have on Public Lands? Generations of Pressured Turkeys and an army of very good Spring Turkey Hunters-- just like in the South.We in New York have caught up with our Southern Turkey Hunter Breatheren and are every bit as good as they are. Take what you can from this Thread or Don't- so there's that. Read it Twice even . I probably won't respond to any Neg Post today. Time to find my Shovels. Later.

I don't think the Turkeys have heard the Unique Tone from this Call purchased for 20 Bucks. If you are having problems taking a Spring Tom- now is the time to be proactive and purchase a few Calls that are ( different).  Too many Hunters do the very same thing every Spring and eat their Tags. I am going to try to post more in the Forum to keep it alive over the Winter.

20191121_144321.jpg

I utilize multiple turkey calls as well. A few times I've had a quiet set of woods come to life with gobbles just by switching out calls while sitting there. Plus sometimes I'll use multiple calls to give the illusion of a flock of hens rather than a lone hen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JALA RUT said:

I utilize multiple turkey calls as well. A few times I've had a quiet set of woods come to life with gobbles just by switching out calls while sitting there. Plus sometimes I'll use multiple calls to give the illusion of a flock of hens rather than a lone hen.

That's the Ticket! You have it down good.

You would shit yourself if you saw some of the prototypes I made a few years ago. As far as I know the company didn't go through with building any. 

35 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You would shit yourself if you saw some of the prototypes I made a few years ago. As far as I know the company didn't go through with building any. 

Post some pics up.Sounds Interesting.

24 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Post some pics up.Sounds Interesting.

I don't think I have any pics ,even if I did ,I don't think it's wise to post pictures of jobs that customers are paying for . Doubtful that anyone would see them ,I'd rather not take the chance.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I don't think I have any pics ,even if I did ,I don't think it's wise to post pictures of jobs that customers are paying for . Doubtful that anyone would see them ,I'd rather not take the chance.

I have made upwards of 20 or so Wingbones. I don't Boil the Ulna or Radius though.  I have not sold any though.  It has been said in print that If a Call came along that could Duplicate THUNDER exactly-- that company would be rolling in Dough!  Years ago- packing  in a Warehouse- the owners Son was messing around with a large piece of ALUNIMUM. 2 foot wide by 1 foot Tall to be exact. He rattled it out of my sight on the other side of the Warehouse. I heard perfect Thunder. Of course, I went over and had him Rattle that huge Piece of Aluminum again. Perfect Thunder. Obviously you can't take that in the woods everyday or just perhaps it has been done by some old timers already.  All Tom's Gobble to Thunder as some here already know. If this could be downsized-- well someone would be making alot of money! 

The Following pic is from a more research based book. Dry Reading for most. Read both paragraphs. Can older Toms + Hens LEARN TO INDENTIFY INDIVIDUAL HUMAN CALLERS??  I think so if we are talking Hard Hunted Public Lands and the Gobblers in question are 3,4,5,or possibly more years old.  Increasingly, I have seen Toms take 3 or 4 steps into a Field - rearrange their wings and Reverse course back into the woods. The pic below might explain why ( some) Gobblers won't come in, so there's that.

20191205_075217.jpg