Anyone wear a solid orange/blaze jacket and bibs?

10 hours ago, goosifer said:

Yes, of course.

Why do you think that guy shot at you? Do you think he did it intentionally?

At the time, once we figured it out, we were a bit addled to add it up. But then I realized we acted the same way as I had seen deer act when shot at damn close range. the other deer are kind of ….overawed by the close shot, not knowing how to react (even though we both instinctively bit the dirt).

The shooter, who I remember as being maybe late teens, was in a low tree stand just inside the woods. Between us was a screen of overgrown brush/saplings, undoubtedly breaking us up. I am thinking that with the bright sun and snow, we were silhouetted against the snow. pee poor excuse/ no excuse, but that is my theory. Did he intentionally shoot at us, hell yes. Did he mean to shoot at us, humans? no, but it could have been just as sad a story regardless.

Nowadays, I seldom wear orange like that. I hunt my own land and surrounding seldom hunted land. Invariably though, I will be wearing an orange hat, and I carry an orange foam pad on a bright yellow lanyard on my shoulder. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, goosifer said:

Do you bring a chair/seat of some kind, like a tripod stool, when you hunt like that?

I bought a pack chair for this year ,it's made by summit . The last couple years I've been embracing the ground hunting technique, same as a treestand, just play the wind . You lose a bunch of the safety buffer you have from being in the tree and need to pay attention more but it definitely is a technique that should not be over looked.

• Like 1

Went for many years with just a Woolrich red checkered hat and coat. Then went to the black camo pattern on blaze orange. I have been very close to deer, on the ground, wearing this and not noticed by the deer. 

Even though it's not the law to wear blaze orange in NYS. It is highly recommended that you do so. Be seen. Be safe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I bought a pack chair for this year ,it's made by summit . The last couple years I've been embracing the ground hunting technique, same as a treestand, just play the wind . You lose a bunch of the safety buffer you have from being in the tree and need to pay attention more but it definitely is a technique that should not be over looked.

Given the dwindling number of shotgun days, I may try to hunt from the ground one day later this week. It gets very windy in Porter, unfortunately. I bought a folding three legged stool with a small back support I've been meaning to try out.