Incentive not to quit...

WNY Bowhunter

Got some on cams all season (not quite like that monster) but almost exclusively at night.  I'm def getting burnt out. But....I have a lot of hope for the last weekend of muzzleloader.  Still think it's going to happen then. 

Post rut and cold weather with a stand on a cornfield I am thinking are gonna be a good setup.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

standing corn this late is a deer magnet. even those that are notoriously late to harvest having been chopping or picking already. a lot of bucks on the farm or the surrounding area died this year. not much left here. good luck going after him despite it's not daylight he's around for a reason and won't go far.

I have some incentive also. I was out of town for a week and a neighbor shot at a big buck as the farmer was harvesting corn. He hit it and it came into my property. I let him take up the blood trail and he never found it. I assumed it was this buck but apparently not. I have had this buck on camera for at least three years. This was the first year he spent the summer months here. I'm hoping he'll stick around a little longer and I get a crack at him.

Screenshot_20191201-202403_1.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

standing corn this late is a deer magnet. even those that are notoriously late to harvest having been chopping or picking already. a lot of bucks on the farm or the surrounding area died this year. not much left here. good luck going after him despite it's not daylight he's around for a reason and won't go far.

The pics were from 5:19 yesterday evening, that's pretty close. Came back through in the morning too. He should make it unless he messes up. The hunting pressure around has died off to almost nothing. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

He only grew one antler last year at 4 yrs old...was  a pretty decent buck at 3.5...lost his eye in early November. 

20181228_170832.jpg.8dbaa0bfd47d03eb05a273bee41fcc36.jpg

20191201_203609.thumb.jpg.9f3f456a4fcba6bd663fc93695f25f8b.jpg

20191201_204248.thumb.jpg.8fbf686469e1bccdc990996d17084f31.jpg

he lost his eye early november as a 3.5 yr old? wonder if that's the reason for the antler stub.

13 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

he lost his eye early november as a 3.5 yr old? wonder if that's the reason for the antler stub.

Yeah, I had some nice pics of him working a scrape on 11/1/17...next time he showed up a few days later his eye was swelled shut. 

I'm excited to see what he could do at 6 yrs old. I've only had two other bucks make it to that age at this property.  That's over 11 yrs and many dozens of bucks on cam over that time. 

8 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Yeah, I had some nice pics of him working a scrape on 11/1/17...next time he showed up a few days later his eye was swelled shut. 

I'm excited to see what he could do at 6 yrs old. I've only had two other bucks make it to that age at this property.  That's over 11 yrs and many dozens of bucks on cam over that time. 

I think its time you end his tenure at 5.5.  lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Some beauties still out there!  I'm looking forward to checking some cams this weekend to see what deer are still walking around. 

I think it's good to change it up this time of year. If your not seeing shooters from your stand (s), then think about sneaking into a different area and hiding on the ground.  Bedding areas close to food and standing corn for sure.

Some nice looking bucks still out there!  I believe there are some nice ones near where I hunt, but I don't have any pictures of them after the start of rifle.  Maybe they will show back up after a week's break.

We had venison cheesesteaks last night from my xbow buck.  Now THAT is areal incentive to get out there with the smokepole!