2nd Rut

The Engineer

I have always heard about it. Is it real? It makes sense not every doe can be bred when only a few bucks around. I saw an 8 point during early bow season actually locked down with a doe that  my dam neighbor got. I was lucky enough to get a 9 with a crossbow. Other then a 4 and a sike I haven't seen any bucks. Yes I know there's more out there. I have a definite 7 resident doe on my property  but this weekend while watching the 7, 12 came out of no where without a buck chasing them that I could see. So I'm was thinking not everyone could have been bred. I'm going back out this weekend definitely to take a doe as I have a tag. But I'm wondering is one still in the area waiting for the 2nd rut. I got my 10 point the last day of rifle season 3 years ago. He was just walking through the woods at 10:30 in the morning. Was he looking for love or just passing through 

Some doe come into heat early, some don't get bred on the first cycle, and go thru a second cycle.   There is a continuous progression, starting about a month prior to Veteran's day, peaking on Veteran's day, and slowly diminishing until about January 1.   The "2nd Rut" thing is basically nonesence.  In NY state, the closer it is to Veteran's day, the better your odds of finding a buck on a doe.  

Edited by wolc123

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

Some doe come into heat early, some don't get bred on the first cycle, and go thru a second cycle.   There is a continuous progression, starting about a month prior to Veteran's day, peaking on Veteran's day, and slowly diminishing until about January 1.   The "2nd Rut" thing is basically nonesence.

Definitely not nonsence. Its a combination of does that werent bred as well as doe fawns that have reached the proper weight. Im sure many doe fawns will reach that weight this year with the prevalance of acorns this year

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Definitely not nonsence. Its a combination of does that werent bred as well as doe fawns that have reached the proper weight. Im sure many doe fawns will reach that weight this year with the prevalance of acorns this year

The "nonsence" is thinking there is a "lull" following the peak.  In reality, there is a continuous lessening after Veteran's day, with no second peak.   

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The "nonsence" is thinking there is a "lull" following the peak.  In reality, there is a continuous lessening after Veteran's day, with no second peak.   

There is a lull. Lull doesnt mean that it shuts down completely, just slows down. Obviously we all know this happens around the end of november and then ramps up again for what we call the second rut. There is definitely a second peak...look at the biology. Even you admit to a lessening, so when the does recycle they cause a second peak. Not as big as the first, but a second none the less

• Like 2

Bucks are currently traveling far looking for any doe that hasn't been bred already. This is why you will see bucks that were never on any of your trail cams. It is not uncommon to see them cruising during daylight hours now too. Many don't think so, but now is a good time to stay on stand all day long.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's really a second rut per se.  The rut sort of continues as does go into estrous at different times...their cycles may vary by a few days. Some will be in heat on November 5, some November 15. And any doe that isn't bred during her first heat will go into a second estrous cycle 28 days later.  So now you may have some does who were in heat in early November but not bred, going back into heat. So there will still be some chasing going on.  I saw a mature buck chasing a doe at 2:00pm right after I got into my stand in 2017 on Thanksgiving weekend.  They were galloping like horses...I was never able to get a shot off as I had just climbed in and was settling in as it unfolded.  

Same goes this weekend I took a buck that was a few yards behind a lone doe. He wasn't all out chasing her, but tending her from about 10 yards behind as she ate and wandered through the woods. 

Edited by rjrdomer

6 hours ago, Rattler said:

Bucks are currently traveling far looking for any doe that hasn't been bred already. This is why you will see bucks that were never on any of your trail cams. It is not uncommon to see them cruising during daylight hours now too. Many don't think so, but now is a good time to stay on stand all day long.

Yes, agreed. And if you have hunters in the woods pushing the deer on nearby properties, everything gets scrambled up even more.

• Like 1

In addition to doe not getting pregnant the first time we get fawns that will cycle for the first time.   Between the fawns and doe coming back into heat it is a good time to be out hunting.  Note:  Fawns have to gain a good amount of weight to cycle the first year and some do get pregnant. 

With Nov 10th selected as peak rut the 2nd rut activity should be good this weekend, get out if you can!  I missed this entire month except for the ADK trip so I am longing to get back into the woods with my bow!   Good luck to anyone going out!  Sorry Biz, this was the post I was trying to post IN!  lol 

There absolutely is a 2nd rut ,the phases start all over again just like the first ,just not as much. Last week new rubs popped up ,I have a picture of a nice one out cruising at 1:50 into a bedding area today. Next weekend the doe who arnt bred should heat up again. At least in this area.

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

Been getting pics of bucks on their feet for the last 4 days. The prior 9 or 10 was dead. The second rut is here. 

Matt I agree. 2 days ago I had a client watching 3 bucks chase a hot doe. He watched for a few hours and said at one point they bedded down in the radishes. Funny side note, he tried rattling and grunting to no avail so as the bucks are literally still chasing he calls me to move his stand because the bucks won’t come to his grunts. You can’t make this stuff up. Had a great one today but a story for another day. Hope all is well 

• Like 2