thinkin' new boat in the spring.....

Robhuntandfish

Looking at trading in my rig for something different.  Used to do more bass fishing and travelling, nowadays i just fish the home lake Oneida for walleyes.  So think i am gonna trade in the boat with decks and get a deep V.  Plus i am old now and dont care much for being above the water these days while fishing. I'm looking at this one especially and putting my 40 hp on it.  Then upgrade trolling motors to one with autopilot ( @TreeGuy fault! lol ) .  And no Andrew it still wont hit Erie! lol tmp18045_7183.jpg?itok=2ZkzFx-Yhttps://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/2020/utility/freedomtmp18045_7742.jpg?itok=Se2Tzp-d

• Like 3

Buy once, cry once !

Do I even need to tell you my opinion ? I will. Lol

The Nympho to me is a great platform, I can get in and out of any lake, only need 8" of water below me, and can handle big water (as you witnessed).

There are a ton of tin cans out there that will serve you well. I'd say stick to something 17-19', 6' beam minimum, and deep V. Plenty of guys on the big ponds with those rigs. You just need to find something with a medium gunnel height, so you can do bass stuff but still high enough that you feel safe standing in 2'rs.

And yes, the electric up front is a tool I couldn't live without ! I love how mine is linked to the graph, and I recommend that as well so your not always carrying a remote. Minn Kota to hummbird and motorguide to lowrance.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

If you’re walleye fishing I’m assuming you will be trolling. Unless you’re by yourself you will wish you went bigger very soon with the boxes on both sides of the boat like both the boats you’re looking at. They take up a lot of room and make a boat seem way smaller! I love tillers that’s what I run now and for trolling there’s not a better setup unless you have more than a few guys in the boat at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Buy once, cry once !

Do I even need to tell you my opinion ? I will. Lol

The Nympho to me is a great platform, I can get in and out of any lake, only need 8" of water below me, and can handle big water (as you witnessed).

There are a ton of tin cans out there that will serve you well. I'd say stick to something 17-19', 6' beam minimum, and deep V. Plenty of guys on the big ponds with those rigs. You just need to find something with a medium gunnel height, so you can do bass stuff but still high enough that you feel safe standing in 2'rs.

And yes, the electric up front is a tool I couldn't live without ! I love how mine is linked to the graph, and I recommend that as well so your not always carrying a remote. Minn Kota to hummbird and motorguide to lowrance.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

that trolling setup you had sold me!  i def want the autopilot. I can slow troll worm harnesses with just the trolling motor and it works great.  But what i have now doesnt hold for me and i have to run it from up front.  Huge pita when you hook one cause boat is gonna turn. 

Been looking at the setup with finder and motor.  Dunno if i can swing both of whats needed, might have to just go with the remote but am still looking over systems.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you’re walleye fishing I’m assuming you will be trolling. Unless you’re by yourself you will wish you went bigger very soon with the boxes on both sides of the boat like both the boats you’re looking at. They take up a lot of room and make a boat seem way smaller! I love tillers that’s what I run now and for trolling there’s not a better setup unless you have more than a few guys in the boat at a time.

Im gonna plan on trolling with an autopilot trolling motor.  I am also looking at a tiller rig for the alumacraft.  Trying to find a rig without the casting decks though so they put some storage along the sides.  My boat now is only 71" beam and these are 78" for the aluma and 89" for the smokercraft.  The two main things i want are to be in the boat and not on the boat and to have hands free trolling. Gonna end up going wiht the best deal of these two i think.  My 40 hp yamaha runs so good - hoping to just transfer it. 

Im gonna plan on trolling with an autopilot trolling motor.  I am also looking at a tiller rig for the alumacraft.  Trying to find a rig without the casting decks though so they put some storage along the sides.  My boat now is only 71" beam and these are 78" for the aluma and 89" for the smokercraft.  The two main things i want are to be in the boat and not on the boat and to have hands free trolling. Gonna end up going wiht the best deal of these two i think.  My 40 hp yamaha runs so good - hoping to just transfer it. 

The problem is that 80 and 90 inches quickly becomes 60 and 70 inches with the way those boxes are on the side, doesn’t leave much room to get around each other when trying to net fish and set rods.

Another questing I have is why new? Just like tree guy said there are a lot go good cheap used boats out there that you can save a bunch of money on and customize to make your own. I’ve owned a lot of used boats and I don’t honk I’ve ever lost money on one. The only reason I bought new this time is because there wasn’t a used 20ft 100” wide tiller East of the Pacific Ocean.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The problem is that 80 and 90 inches quickly becomes 60 and 70 inches with the way those boxes are on the side, doesn’t leave much room to get around each other when trying to net fish and set rods.

Another questing I have is why new? Just like tree guy said there are a lot go good cheap used boats out there that you can save a bunch of money on and customize to make your own. I’ve owned a lot of used boats and I don’t honk I’ve ever lost money on one. The only reason I bought new this time is because there wasn’t a used 20ft 100” wide tiller East of the Pacific Ocean.

Mostly the same reason. Can't find one without decks. And the way I want it set up.  Have a while to look.  Plus I would like to keep my motor.  It's a 2014 and runs great.  Then I have to sell boat and trailer separate.  

Def understand where your coming from with sides. Will look a few over. Just haven't seen much that doesn't have decks and I do need some storage. 

We don't really set lines with planers etc too much we do our best with slow trolling spinners and have rod in hand. I usually run two with one in each hand. Going slow enough that you still need to set hook a little.  Just moving enough to move spinners. 

If I buy used have to find the right boat, change over motor, install electronics and trolling motor etc.  Def been searching though.  And I am leary bout aluminum boats that have been pounded in erie and Ontario.  Have heard some horror stories. 

Trip to Syracuse boat show is def on the menu this winter. 

28 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Man you go fishing once with Andrew and he already has you upgrading your gear! 

He had me doing that before we even went fishing. Lol he's a bad influence. Like a crack dealer only fishing stuff...

I've been thinking for a couple of seasons to change boats. Def sold on that autopilot for the trolling motor he has set up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Any tips on best places to look for used?  Been watching Craigslist and boat trader.  Thanks 

Even hard to find the new boats I am interested in stock.  Would like to check them over. Found one in PA that might make a run out there after first of year to look at. Can order one more local but want to see it first.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Any tips on best places to look for used?  Been watching Craigslist and boat trader.  Thanks 

Craigslist is the best. You can usually tell how a boat was treated pretty quickly by the way it looks when you go look. If you’re. Sow trolling with a rod in your hand you can’t beat a tiller! I love my new rig it’s definitely my forever boat!

• Like 1

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

Craigslist is the best. You can usually tell how a boat was treated pretty quickly by the way it looks when you go look. If you’re. Sow trolling with a rod in your hand you can’t beat a tiller! I love my new rig it’s definitely my forever boat!

Been watching Craigslist since last spring. Just haven't found the right one yet.  I really like the aluma craft tiller.  That's the one they have out in PA I plan on looking at.  

With either boat though I will just out that electric trolling motor on a track and drag my lines.  Then I can move around, net fish etc without worrying about steering boat. 

Seen a few in Michigan that interested me. Lol.  Hoping to keep it within a few hours.

The problem is if you’re anything like me you’ll own 2 or 3 boats that you think you can make work and are never happy with. That’s when I finally decided that a 13 hour drive and a couple plane tickets were worth it to finally not have to settle.

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The problem is if you’re anything like me you’ll own 2 or 3 boats that you think you can make work and are never happy with. That’s when I finally decided that a 13 hour drive and a couple plane tickets were worth it to finally not have to settle.

That is actually what is pushing me to new.  Cause I can set it up exactly the way I want. Even if it costs more I don't have to rig or change anything.  But price is def a factor. I can and do catch fish from my boat but def would like to change up.  

Gonna see what kind of offers I get and keep searching used too. Would like this to happen by mid May. My boat is in storage now .  Got prices being put together on new rigs.  Trade in or sale of mine is def a factor too . 

You have the same tastes as me....

Several years ago I bought a 17 foot pontoon, with a 25 4 stroke. Largely because the wife wanted one. previously I had a 16 foot stern drive Grumman. Of course, she is out in it only once or twice a year, and now I don't fish half as much as I used to. It is actually a great (but slow) fishing platform, but way too heavy for me to crank in, and impossible to load/unload with any sort of a cross breeze. I would love to go to something just like what you are looking at. Much easier to store, also.

• Like 1