thinkin' new boat in the spring.....

Robhuntandfish

19 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Got mine off Craigslist 3 years ago, actually only use it for duck hunting sometimes thought about selling cause I never fish anymore 

5C2538E7-3E5B-4FF2-9340-229C064B00BF.jpeg

CE39A5D7-8FC8-414B-98D1-81015710F8B3.jpeg

949DDE3D-F7C6-4501-812E-D9692809651E.jpeg

F247D09B-651F-422F-B195-E02B1B131959.jpeg

Nice rig.  If you decide to sell let me know. Might be interested. It's close to what I am looking for.  

How is it hand steering with a 40 hp?  

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Nice rig.  If you decide to sell let me know. Might be interested. It's close to what I am looking for.  

How is it hand steering with a 40 hp?  

It’s not bad I like it cause it gives me more room up front for bags of decoys . Not sure how that would work out for fishing 

• Like 1

Treeguy what type of electronic setup are you running tied into bow mount trolling motor?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Motorguide Xi5 networked to a lowrance carbon. The options are endless with the gps/ graph. Turns, zig zag, slow turn, wide turn, cruise control, All at the push of a button. I only use my remote when keeping the boat angled drifting, when trolling it's on heading lock and I use the kicker for push and electric for steering.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Motorguide Xi5 networked to a lowrance carbon. The options are endless with the gps/ graph. Turns, zig zag, slow turn, wide turn, cruise control, All at the push of a button. I only use my remote when keeping the boat angled drifting, when trolling it's on heading lock and I use the kicker for push and electric for steering.  

Is this what you use when you're trolling for walleye on Erie and salmon on Ontario or do you use a gas-powered kicker

Is this what you use when you're trolling for walleye on Erie and salmon on Ontario or do you use a gas-powered kicker

I rarely use just the electric. Always using the kicker / gas powered. The electric is just there to steer.

right now i am slow trolling with the front foot control electric.  I can put it on continuous and i just have to foot steer it.  Which is fine until.... you hook a fish or want to get up for something .  Then the boat will turn and the motor will push it in that direction.  Same if i just shut it off.  Def looking forward to the auto pilot and going to setup with a 2 battery system.  Dont want a kicker cause i like to really fish/troll slow over certain spots and dont want another headache with another motor.  But for the big lake and setting up with all the rigs like Andrew has, he has it spot on. I also will drift fish a lot if enough wind to move boat.   But also want to have a rig that works well for casting in the canal when I get blown off the lake.   Even with a deep V i dont plan on fighting the waves - would rather fish the canal and cast stickbaits for them.   

Any WNY guys know anything about Bow and Stern Marine in N Tonawanda?   They are dealership for both the makes of boats i am considering.  May have to do a road trip and check it out after hunting season.  They even have the 16ft tiller in stock i am considering.  

Anything Tonawanda or North Tonawanda ask @Jeremy K

• Thanks 1

Any WNY guys know anything about Bow and Stern Marine in N Tonawanda?   They are dealership for both the makes of boats i am considering.  May have to do a road trip and check it out after hunting season.  They even have the 16ft tiller in stock i am considering.  
GREAT guys ! Paul is the man

I have names you can drop if need be

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 3:39 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

2019 Alumacraft 165 Summitthis one interests me.  With a 25hp tiller.  

place says way underpowered with a 25hp.  They have a 50 on it. Manufacturer tag has 50hp on it too.  Not driving a 50 tiller so moving on - although this was a nice setup.  

this has caught my eye - but use my current 40 hp on it. image.png.35db70db45d5932e4a4ac3991ccfb30b.png

I used to have a 50 HP tiller steer Yamaha on my Sylvan Backtroller. Never gave me any problems, fished on Erie and Chautauqua and a couple Finger Lakes and could take the kids tubing skiing and wakeboarding as well ! Sadly that boat went up in the Bethlehem Steel Plant fire.

Edited by JimR
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

Why is the 50 an issue ?

already have a 40hp - for price of buying new I can transfer mine to a boat and save $ to go towards the boat itself. Cant transfer on that boat cause its a tiller setup.  A 25 hp would save me thousands as opposed to a 50hp.  Would rather put it towards the boat instead.  And i really wouldnt look forward to hand steering a 50 that much.  Overall i can get a boat with a side console and my motor for less money than a tiller with a 50hp.   

already have a 40hp - for price of buying new I can transfer mine to a boat and save $ to go towards the boat itself. Cant transfer on that boat cause its a tiller setup.  A 25 hp would save me thousands as opposed to a 50hp.  Would rather put it towards the boat instead.  And i really wouldnt look forward to hand steering a 50 that much.  Overall i can get a boat with a side console and my motor for less money than a tiller with a 50hp.   

Don’t be afraid of a tiller, my 80 year old Grandpa runs a 70 tiller.

You can switch your 40 to. Tiller for 4 or 500$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Another thing you may end up better money wise with trading your boat in with motor and buying a new motor, most dealers don’t want a boat without an engine because they’re a hard sell.

thanks - yeah i am finding this out. The boat i am looking at now has the exact same motor so changing them out on both boats and then they have to find a late model motor or try to sell 9 year old boat wiht a new motor etc - better off going new if all is equal. 

thanks - yeah i am finding this out. The boat i am looking at now has the exact same motor so changing them out on both boats and then they have to find a late model motor or try to sell 9 year old boat wiht a new motor etc - better off going new if all is equal. 

Think of it as your "forever" boat.  At least that's how I justify large purchases to my wife......

• Like 1

So, your open to single console ? Opposed to dual console ?

I'm trying to spend your money, stop making it hard for me !!!

If you like that boat at bow and stern, just want to save money on a 50hp, I can call it in and see what the friends and family price is.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

So, your open to single console ? Opposed to dual console ?

I'm trying to spend your money, stop making it hard for me !!!

If you like that boat at bow and stern, just want to save money on a 50hp, I can call it in and see what the friends and family price is.

Lol -yes def want single console or tiller.  I sure appreciatte your input my friend !   you know your stuff on rigs!  just remember im a poor CNY that hasnt shot a deer this season so i have to buy meat now too!  lol 

I really wish that 25 worked out on that tiller rig at Bow and Stern.  He said he thought it would be underpowered which i dont want to be - but usually its me and the Dog fishing.  Twice a year the GF goes and my fishing buddy Corey about every 3 time.  - rarely have 3 guys in it once all season.  Was gonna call and talk to him again about it too.  I just think that if i am gonna spend the money on a 50 i might as well go for the whole shebang and get a steer boat.    

• Like 1

I don’t know how die hard you are but you do seem to be on the water a lot. A single console in my opinion is the worst option for a fishing boat. It takes up room for the wheel and offers basically no protection from the elements. If I’m going to get cold and wet while I’m running I may as well have the room of a tiller. If you only go out on nice days this isn’t an issue.

Take a day and go sit in that tiller, take your time and think about everything “rod holders, fish finder where you’ll hold your rod while slow trolling etc.” If the salesman is worth a shit he’ll walk away and let you do your thing. It’s even better if they have a similar boat in wheel version there as well so you can get a side by side comparison.

From someone who’s owned about every setup of boat there is I like a single console the least only very slightly behind a center console. In the size you’re looking a dual console will take up too much room unless you’re gonna fish every day you have the chance and don’t care what the weather is doing then giving up that room may be worth it. I think you will really enjoy a tiller for how you fish. You just have to know that you’ll get wet if it’s rough and you’re completely exposed to the elements, hard to put a bimini on a tiller and still be able to fish.

One other thing that you can do with a tiller that can’t be done with a wheel boat is back trolling, probably the most effective way to catch walleyes that are on structure.