Self done euro..

Bolt action

I've done all of this before except the pressure washer. Doesn't the pressure washer break the nasal bones? I just pay $50 and pick it up a couple days later. Not worth my time or cleanup. I can think of alot of things I'd rather do then pick brains out of a gelatenous boiled skull.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I've done all of this before except the pressure washer. Doesn't the pressure washer break the nasal bones? I just pay $50 and pick it up a couple days later. Not worth my time or cleanup. I can think of alot of things I'd rather do then pick brains out of a gelatenous boiled skull.

just use a cheaper pressure washer and if you have a gas powered one you use a different nozzle that fans it out with keeping it at a low idle. pressure washer is the only way to go. you can get the meat off without simmering (not boiling) but you're taking some risk with that much pressure.

$120 will get a beautiful euro done by a pro, and camo dipped too! That is where my gun buck went this year. I have done a few on my own. But they don't come out quite as nice as his. AND.... I don't have the mess, or clean up to do. Just drop it off and pick it up. I don't really mind letting someone who is very good at it do the work for me. I'm more than happy with the price and most importantly the results.

• Like 1

Where are you paying $50 to have it done and what does it look like after $50. Just curious. $80 to $100 for a bettle job around here and $125 to $150 for a complete euro with a wooden plaque.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

My buddy's friend does them as a side income. He's done deer and coyotes for me and they come out good. For $50 it's well worth it to me. IMG_20191205_143421736.jpgIMG_20191205_143431779.jpgIMG_20191205_143439548.jpg

• Like 5

My buddy's friend does them as a side income. He's done deer and coyotes for me and they come out good. For $50 it's well worth it to me. IMG_20191205_143421736.thumb.jpg.98c2c7eb0fc2ade7b5af673ea0c30851.jpgIMG_20191205_143431779.thumb.jpg.ea9a874d869cb48af593385158e32c4e.jpgIMG_20191205_143439548.thumb.jpg.01b73cee2a44dcfe7077087b4f322982.jpg

Your friend does a great job. Looks great.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, chrisw said:

My buddy's friend does them as a side income. He's done deer and coyotes for me and they come out good. For $50 it's well worth it to me. IMG_20191205_143421736.jpgIMG_20191205_143431779.jpgIMG_20191205_143439548.jpg

Did you do a euro or shoulder mount on your bow buck from this year? great buck by the way

Edited by NockednLoaded
  • Like 1

Did you do a euro or shoulder mount on your bow buck from this year? great buck by the way
Thanks, Yea I'm doing a pedestal mount with this years bow buck. I was already thinking it and then my buddy who does taxidermy said the same thing when I dropped him off so it was settled. He does phenomenal work too so it'll look great when he's done with it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chrisw said:

I've done all of this before except the pressure washer. Doesn't the pressure washer break the nasal bones?

Lots of folks seem to think that, but none of them must have actually tried it.   I have power washed about about (7) and have yet to break a nasal bone.  In fact, the nasal bones on all of them held up better than the one a buddy did for me using the conventional boil and pick method.   My guess is that the hot or boiling water weakens the bones while the cold stuff from a pressure washer does not.  

One thing I have not heard of is someone who used a pressure washer and then went back to other methods.  That ought to tell you something.       

I’m thinking about getting a beetle colony next year, do 4/5 heads and it pays off, I’ve already done 6 this year. My kids room.
763992AC-5CB5-47FB-9400-7EA6726A1A1B.thumb.jpeg.99c2d62339a689c6796c34e6d4c7bc98.jpeg

Hmmm...what’s a beetle colony run these days? Where would one find a seller of said beetle colonies? What is the upkeep involved?

I think I would like to have a beetle colony!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm...what’s a beetle colony run these days? Where would one find a seller of said beetle colonies? What is the upkeep involved?

You want to wake up a skeleton if they somehow get out??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 3

You want to wake up a skeleton if they somehow get out??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That would be sweet! Seriously what’s involved with beetles? Keep them in “fish tanks” with dirt? Feed them scraps of meat?
I figure the way Biz’s pops (and Biz every 4 years!) knocks down bucks, this could be quite profitable in this area!

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

Gotta keep them warm, a lot of guys use a chest freezer with a lamp. A fully established ready to do mounts colony was around $250 when I was googling around. 

• Like 1

I was planning on getting a colony but the more I looked into it they can be finicky little buggers. Gotta keep them at certain temps, they smell, sometimes it's hard to get an established colony, you need to feed them year round. I think you'd need to have a dedicated space and do a lot of euros to make it worthwhile. I changed my mind on it for sure.

17 hours ago, grampy said:

$120 will get a beautiful euro done by a pro, and camo dipped too! That is where my gun buck went this year. I have done a few on my own. But they don't come out quite as nice as his. AND.... I don't have the mess, or clean up to do. Just drop it off and pick it up. I don't really mind letting someone who is very good at it do the work for me. I'm more than happy with the price and most importantly the results.

cant wait to see how the camo dip comes out.  Make sure you throw some pics up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

They only eat the dried leathery meat not anything even remotely live. Learn your Beetles dood!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was looking into it myself and it appeared that most use the chest freezer with the lamp to maintain the temps. I also was unaware that it wasn't the "beetles" that did the majority of the eating but the larva so they need to be a breeding colony. My wife would kill me, she isn't buying into the whole skinned drying animal smell in the garage from the trapping skins...lol 

• Like 2

I was looking into it myself and it appeared that most use the chest freezer with the lamp to maintain the temps. I also was unaware that it wasn't the "beetles" that did the majority of the eating but the larva so they need to be a breeding colony. My wife would kill me, she isn't buying into the whole skinned drying animal smell in the garage from the trapping skins...lol 

Hahahaha yeah that'd definitely be a hard sell. Maybe Chris can convince his wife for the good of all us Westchester folk so I can get good euros locally lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That would be sweet! Seriously what’s involved with beetles? Keep them in “fish tanks” with dirt? Feed them scraps of meat?
I figure the way Biz’s pops (and Biz every 4 years!) knocks down bucks, this could be quite profitable in this area!

We have zero euro mounts cOmbined. Just small skull plates. We used beetle guys for cat/canine skulls tho. Those beetle sheds stink!