MB-550 vs. Bear

Water Rat

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

pretty crazy. makes you think about moving them away from those bigger trees? i'm not a trapper but i would if i was. shorten the chain?

Short chains can give the animal more leverage and can pull more straight up which is not the direction the anchor system is the strongest. I can't tell from the quality of the video but many trappers run 3'-4' and even add shock springs. The shock springs to two things. Make is "softer" on the foot when they pull and it takes the hard jerk out of the line so there are less pull outs.  A long chain is better of the anchor angle but gives the animal more of a running head start to pull. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 12:49 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

When I was in Maine our guide snared one, really cool setup

After doing some strictly "out of curiosity" searches, found out Maine is only state that allows trapping of bears as part of the state's hunting regulations. Only snare or cable types of traps are allowed. Limit is one bear/yr trapped. Did find some conflicting info about whether a non-resident needed a guide and what type of spring loaded cable snares were legal. IDK.

Here's an interesting Maine bear trapping YouTube video. Lot of BS'ing making video ~26min, but you can FFW to see the set and a snared bear.

• Like 1