Switching to recurve.

Skillet

I would really like to go traditional for next year's archery season. 

Taking my recurve to the shop on Wednesday to get arrows made, and the rest / string set up correctly. Also getting a crash course on form, etc.

My bow is nothing special. My old bowfishing rig. It's a 45lb Samick Sage.

I figure if I start shooting now, maybe I can get the hang of it in time to hunt with it next fall.

Anyone made the switch? Any pointers appreciated from you traditional guys. 

Thanks.

• Like 2

Try to keep draw hand as relaxed as possible, find a repeatable anchor, shoot 3 under and learn some sort of aiming technique.   You can definitely be ready by next season skillet.  Oh and keep it fun.  Don’t get frustrated when your shooting slumps at times.  It will happen.  Just put bow down and come back another day.  You got this.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Had to look that up! 

Makes the tip of your arrow your aiming point at a set distance.  Then you move tip up or down on target if farther or closer.   Works well. But you need to tune your arrow for it.  Most set the crawl for a 20-25yd point on.  

Edited by moog5050

Moog put me where I needed to be for form and setup. Great advice. I was able to take two deer with it this year. That first one meant more to me than any I have mounted. It took more practice but I felt confident with the set up and my effective range and stuck to it. One was not the prettiest shot but it worked out after a very long track and drag. Thanks for help on that Moog. The second I felt much more confident. Knew where I wanted the arrow to go and it went there

I will say that I got a reality check with penetration compared to what I was use to on my compound

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ncountry said:

Sounds awesome! I bought myself a recurve this year, but never got the time to practice. Next year is the year for me too..

I forgot to add. It is all Moog's fault too. He kept on bragging about his shooting skills .. I had to try myself..;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too am hoping to get my first deer next fall with my new recurve, that is if I feel confident enough by next season. We'll see. I found a killer deal on a Bear Super Grizzly that had roughly 6 arrows through it. Guy bought it to shoot targets and bought way too heavy of a draw weight for his age/stature and couldn't draw it. It's a hair heavier than I would've picked had I ordered it myself but it doesn't feel bad at all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Be careful about shooting too much when starting. Tendency is to just keep flinging.

Need total control of every shot start to finish - develop a process and stick to it. As soon as muscles start to tire and you lose 100% control - STOP. Continuing will only allow bad habits to develop.

• Like 4

Cool. I hunted with a recurve back in the late 60's and 70's before compounds and filled a bunch of archery tags. I think that as I look back... those days with a recurve not only taught me how to hunt deer, but the process of instinctively shooting a bare bow (no aiming) was a major contributor to this lifelong passion for bow hunting deer. 

• Like 1

You might have to tinker with your arrows too. Most shops just go off the compound data to match arrows to bows. in my early years I found this only gets you close. Easiest way to adjust is changing your point weight. You can find pack of field tips to try from 3 rivers archery. i think they go from 85grns to 200 grns. 

As said before work on your form first just grab a big target and work on a repeatable anchor, making sure you use your back muscles and not your arm at full draw etc. There are a few guys on here that will help get your shooting straight and accurate.

2 hours ago, biggamefish said:

You might have to tinker with your arrows too. Most shops just go off the compound data to match arrows to bows. in my early years I found this only gets you close. Easiest way to adjust is changing your point weight. You can find pack of field tips to try from 3 rivers archery. i think they go from 85grns to 200 grns. 

As said before work on your form first just grab a big target and work on a repeatable anchor, making sure you use your back muscles and not your arm at full draw etc. There are a few guys on here that will help get your shooting straight and accurate.

I picked up two packs from 3 Rivers. One was lower and the other went from mid range to 300 I think. It at least went to 250 becasue I ended up there for tuning. 

@moog5050, @Culvercreek hunt club, @SteveB, and @biggamefish what are your setups with arrow spine? seems like i've got problems right now with 29" 400 spine arrows and over 200 grains up front of insert and point weight. trad charts all seem to point to 320 or 340 arrows but seems like nobody uses that stiff of a spine. bow's are all 50lbs @ 28" draw, i'm a 29" draw with compounds which i think is a half inch or so shorter for recurve fingers anchor.

Shooting axis or power flight 340s at 30” with 250g for my Schaefer and black widow at 55-53lbs respectively.   My 48 lb BW tuned with axis 400 at 29” with 300g.  My true DL is 28.5” or so.   Doubt Culver will help unless gorillas marvel at your DL.  Lol