Discourgaged with tree stand placement

luberhill

Time is ticking and no deer yet...I hunt what you would call a gully.. I have a tree stand that I killed a buck out of two years ago but the placement is tough...first there are very few BIG trees, I have it on a small tree...the shooting rails creeks sometimes if you move just right...and its very close to the intersecting trails...im thinking too close.

There IS a nice BIG ash tree that is away from the trail but its on the down side of the hill/trail and im thinking I will be more eye level with the deer , although it is about 30 yrds from the trail...

there is only once somewhat level spot too...again the whole area is a gully up both sides, all wooded except this one small spot...but I have seen BIG bucks in here and tons of rubs/scrapes.

Im now thinking maybe a ground blind ?? Like an Ameristep Doghouse...brushed in on the level spot about 30 yards from the trail ??

AFF5FC54-190B-4EC3-ABAB-66ED3C196D90.jpeg

57619825-47E0-4BFB-BDAD-E745701D5FCC.jpeg

Edited by luberhill

I don't have much to offer, but I know when Gun season rolls around. IT is the time i like to get on the ground and hunt those spots that treestands wont fit in, areas that are too hard to hunt during archery. Either still hunt, or just get at a good vantage point you can see or reach out from with your weapon. and just lean against a tree with a good shooting stick(a tree branch or a manufactured setup) .. Gun season gets tough on most everyone with a lot of unwanted pressure put on the deer herd in most places. adapt and overcome as i always put it.. Good luck sir. Persistence always wins! 

Why not do both....Hunt from a blind in the AM and from the stand in the PM or hunt whichever is more favorable for wind and weather conditions. FWIW, I have stand hunted (bow) hillsides a few times and have had deer at eye level within easy bow range. I think it helps if the thermals in the evening take the scent down hill, if the deer are expected to approach up hill or level with the stand. GL whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which direction is the prevailing wind for the gully, and where is the stand situated in regards to that? Where do the deer normally appear from? Myself, I prefer to get off the ground. As well as having an actual seat on most stands, I almost always have better visibility. If the wnd, etc. are in your favor, I would stick it out...I often go the whole season only to tag out at the end, persistence paid, but your scenario is a bit trickier with the gully. I would make sure you are watching from the down wind side (wind in your face). Easy to try to see/ think too much into it.

That's the problem..the winds most times the wind is west...so its at my left side when in the stand...but...the deer come into the spot from the south and north...I cant really get the wind in my face and watch the trails in this spot because to get west of the trail I would be on a VERY VERY steep bank...

9 minutes ago, luberhill said:

That's the problem..the winds most times the wind is west...so its at my left side when in the stand...but...the deer come into the spot from the south and north...I cant really get the wind in my face and watch the trails in this spot because to get west of the trail I would be on a VERY VERY steep bank...

nothing wrong with hunting a crosswind, especially in gun.  Kill them before they hit scent stream.

• Like 1

Yea it’s sibthick when they are coming down the trail and I’m above them now so I do t think they are seeing me...

i can’t go higher the tree is too small , lol

i may try placing it down hill on the bigger tree even though I may be eye level or close it’s better hidden