Cross country ski hunting?

BowmanMike

I have some sweet uphill skiing alpine touring gear I used it one season for late season hunting and i seen zero...with xcountry gear you prolly would wanna pack snow shoes incase you get one or need to get burly uphill.

these pics are from a 5’ February in 2015...I skiid 3/4 mile across the lake up 500 ft of lake bank vertical and down switchbacks and thru trees several runs a session it was fun

8EC255ED-6454-4EB2-94CC-EA3BB62AA0D5.jpeg

AA2D287A-6E79-4CE0-BF40-DB5655E43088.thumb.png.c743ec3fec3629698e55809f4743a66d.png

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I do hunt using my back country skis but not during the season or with a weapon.  After hunting season is when I follow tracks in snow to scout and find sheds.  I have 30 acres of my land which backs up to English Hill State forest.  My skiing tells me where I should place stands for next season.   Places where three or trails cross or just well traveled trails have been good to me.   I think hunting out of the same location year after year limits your chances but change is only good if you have evidence of probable success.  My back woods skiing does that for me.  Plus, I love to ski.  I learn to back woods ski in Adirondacks.  You get good real fast using those trails.  It's turn or hit tree.

Even though I've skied for 40 plus years and consider myself quite good and experience.  I still fall on occasion.  You can't always see what under the snow you're skiing.  I wouldn't want my deer gun or bow to take a rap and lose my zero during season.  I did work this summer cutting a large loop through my land so I could ski unfettered.  And I've always wanted to know if I could pull off a biathlon.  I own several target 22s.  Most are heavier than sin and not real biathlon material but I still want to see if I can control my heart rate after a good ski and shoot with accuracy. 

• Like 1