Fruit Trees

Looking to purchase some fruit trees in the near future for my property in the Southern tier. Franklinville area. Anyone know of a descent nursery? Been doing a ton of googling and  research. One I came up with was Schichtels in Springville. Trying to purchase somewhat close to planting area. They actually have an offshoot site for hunters. Anyone have any dealings with these folks? Wondering if its just hype or not. Have a few ideas for what trees but if anyone would like to chime in on that, please feel free. And I know the most important thing is to fence them off. Its first on the list. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Order online from Cummings Nursery near Ithaca.  There will ship the bare root whips to your house.  Focus only on disease resistant apple trees like Enterprise, Freedom, Jonafree, and Liberty.  Keiffer pear is also good.  Avoid the store brand apples like Macintosh, golden and red delicious etc.  They succumb to disease and need an intensive spray program to produce any significant quality fruit

I have had just as much luck planting 1-2 year old bare root "whips" as I do planting potted larger trees.  They catch up quick and seem to establish better

• Like 1

A second recommendation for Cummins Nursery. In addition to disease-resistant cultivars, pay attention to rootstock. Get on the phone with them and tell them about your soil - they'll have good recommendations. I have moved away from dwarf rootstocks, and now favor standard size ones as they grow out of the reach of deer. It makes my fencing work lighter.

Don't ask me how or why, but I happen to have a copy of the Fruit Growers News 2020 Buyers' Guide. While these are not recommendations, I can tell you they list the following places that are in WNY:

Wafler Nursery www.waflernursery.com Wolcott, NY

Schlaback's Nursery 585-798-6198 Medina, NY

Don't ask me how or why, but I happen to have a copy of the Fruit Growers News 2020 Buyers' Guide. While these are not recommendations, I can tell you they list the following places that are in WNY:
Wafler Nursery www.waflernursery.com Wolcott, NY
Schlaback's Nursery 585-798-6198 Medina, NY
If your looking for stock from waffles let me know. They sometimes have blem stock that can be bought right.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk