Dealership or after market remote car starter.

Well I got my wife a 2019 Subaru Forester last year for her birthday. It was just what she wanted BUT I know she did want a remote starter and it wasn't on the one I got. SO that gives me an opportunity for a Birthday or Christmas present.  Her BD is the 23rd and Christmas is the 25 and NO I only made the mistake once of giving her a birthday present wrapped in Christmas paper. (You would have thought I had wrapped up a dog turd and gave it to her..lol)

So any insight on what you folks have previously done is appreciated. I am concerned about aftermarket effecting the warranty and also about how the stealerships inflate the hell out of everything. I want one that has GREAT range on it. He car does NOT have the Subaru Starlink system so going through that is not an option. 

• Like 1

Experience with wife's 2018 outback. I went aftermarket and had to buy an additional module because it was a Subaru. In addition there had to be a separate key fob. One annoying thing with the Subaru is if you do start it with the aftermarket starter, a red icon appears on dash and remains on until you turn off vehicle or start it manually with a key. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NockednLoaded said:

Experience with wife's 2018 outback. I went aftermarket and had to buy an additional module because it was a Subaru. In addition there had to be a separate key fob. One annoying thing with the Subaru is if you do start it with the aftermarket starter, a red icon appears on dash and remains on until you turn off vehicle or start it manually with a key. 

Yours is key start or push button start?

One thing I've witnessed and been told by people who install them. You are flirting with disaster if you try and use one of the systems that also allows you to unlock/lock doors as well as start the vehicle . Just get the stand alone remote starter and deal with the extra fob.

I would check with a dealership.  I know with some vehicles, the dealer can go into the vehicle’s system, and basically activate remote start, and get a fob is what i’ve heard.  I am not 100% on how much truth to that there is, but its nice that the factory wires would not be cut/spliced.  Like I said, not sure if that is completely true, but I feel it would be worth a talk with your dealer.

Edited by Bionic
  • Thanks 1

With so much connected to the newer vehicles of today, I would only let a factory (dealer) mechanic do this type of work. Yes, it absolutely will cost more to have it done at a stealership. But in the long run it could save you much more money, if not done to the specifics and codes, of that particular vehicle?  And it will not in any way void the factory warranty. Also, should ANY problem develop, they are the most qualified to fix it. As opposed to someone who just 'kinda knows' how to install a remote starter.

• Like 4

I put a remote starter in my 2000 Chevy Blazer myself. I had to get a module to bypass the antitheft. It was a lot of wiring and reading schematics but I was also able to make the fob unlock the doors so I only had one fob. I never tried it again and I really don't like other people touching my cars/trucks. 

I know the advertised prices of the aftermarket remote starters that you see in the paper doesn't include the price of the modules that will be needed for your specific car. 

My last two trucks have had factory remote start. It is great, so I can see why she want it. I am guessing that the factory remote start installed by the stealer ship will be plug and play and you will be able to use a Subaru key fob. It should also be included in the factory warranty. I have no idea what the cost is to add factory remote start but that is probably the way I would go. It beats having some kid at best buy hacking into your wiring. 

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 2

If using a dealer, definitely google around other deals (even if not closeby) for deals, coupons, etc. Then have your local dealer match the offer (15% off, or $75 off remote start, etc.). I've had dealers match offers from other states when i said i had to visit family nearby there and would get it done when i was there (a lie)

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

I have personally seen some really bad work done by aftermarket installers... one in particular where you could pull the splices apart with your hands... one of those crappy splices didn't leave enough wire so they scabbed in a piece of 16 ga wire to lengthen.  The wire they lengthened was 12 ga.  Their lengthened wire had all the insulation burned off it...  Good thing it didn't lite up.

I would have the dealer handle this with factory parts.  I would wager that aftermarket starters will effect the factory warranty.