If you could plant 1 thing...What would it be?

So the guys on the lease and I have been talking a lot this season about planting some food next year. We have never done this. We actually have two leases that we call the North Farm and the South Farm. We have been leasing the North Farm for 20 years and the South Farm since 2012. They are separated by a horse farm. In 2013 or 2014 ( I can't remember) the land owner allowed a farmer to plant soybeans in the front field of the North Farm. This was my best season, I killed my first 8 point, My first buck with the bow and also a big doe with the bow. That farm only had beans 1 year. That field is now becoming a solar farm and there are several solar panels in that field. Last year for the first time the south farm had several acres of beans and maybe 5 acres of corn. The deer seemed to love the beans in the summer but turned to the corn in the fall. This year those are just overgrown fields and they are going to be getting solar panels as well. It has been a tough year for us on the lease. I am the only person that has gotten a buck. The one I got on opening day. It is unusual for us to not have 4 or 5 "shooter" bucks between us for a season. 

So we are discussing planting our own food plots next year. To me the corn seemed to be the biggest draw. We could probably plant around the solar panels but we can't shoot into the solar panels so we are thinking of clearing some of the brush and making some more food plots. My only experience is with beans and corn and the corn seemed like a bigger draw. 

If you were going to make a 3 to 5 acre plot without the use of farm equipment what would it be? We are not against renting a skid steer to clear an area and maybe getting a disc that can be towed behind an ATV. But we want to make the best use of the plot. This year the deer were on the acorns, we only have a couple of places that hold acorns and this is where I shot the buck. Most of the land across the tracks is hard woods and we don't have permission to hunt there. I am thinking the deer spent most of their time in the hardwoods eating acorns this year. 

If I had the equipment and could only plant one thing, it would be corn standing for entire season or beans if they wouldn't be demolished before the season starts.  But I am limited to seed that only needs to be plants at 1" or less and beans get crushed before the season starts.    Different areas also seem to have different results.  Brassicas are eaten down all summer and fall at my one property and the other they aren't touched until post season for the most part.

• Like 2

I agree with Moog.  Beans would be my first choice- IF they could stand up to your deer herd.  They are easier to plant and grow, as well as easier on the soil.  I would plant 3-5 acres and fence half.

Corn would be my second choice, especially if you could just hire someone to plant it for you.  I have had success broadcasting it's not ideal.

Third choice would be WI clover.  

Fourth choice would be brassicas.  Some places they are awesome.  It took me 4 years to get the deer here to use them before February.  Back home they had them chewed down before bow season.  

Last, I would suggest a blend of winter rye, clover, soybeans and brassicas.  Even better is some variation of this planted in strips.  

There is no "right" answer.  Good luck.  I enjoy the thinking, researching and planning.  Good winter passtime!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There was a certain member that used to be wayyyyy into alternative food plotting, and they swore up and down that deer love hemp plants. Up in Honeoye Falls, there are hemp fields, but Im not sure how hard the deer hit them.

Bonus the deer are not the most alert when hunting them around hemp.   Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There was a certain member that used to be wayyyyy into alternative food plotting, and they swore up and down that deer love hemp plants. Up in Honeoye Falls, there are hemp fields, but Im not sure how hard the deer hit them.

Good question, I'll have to ask them. I heard they chased some plant thieves down to the city recently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Why would we want to rotate?

I am not an expert but rotating crops has been done for years to keep the soil good, different plants use different nutrients out of the soil so rotating them keeps the soil from degrading. 

I would like to plant a arrow into a 10 pt buck or better!  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

So the guys on the lease and I have been talking a lot this season about planting some food next year. We have never done this. We actually have two leases that we call the North Farm and the South Farm. We have been leasing the North Farm for 20 years and the South Farm since 2012. They are separated by a horse farm. In 2013 or 2014 ( I can't remember) the land owner allowed a farmer to plant soybeans in the front field of the North Farm. This was my best season, I killed my first 8 point, My first buck with the bow and also a big doe with the bow. That farm only had beans 1 year. That field is now becoming a solar farm and there are several solar panels in that field. Last year for the first time the south farm had several acres of beans and maybe 5 acres of corn. The deer seemed to love the beans in the summer but turned to the corn in the fall. This year those are just overgrown fields and they are going to be getting solar panels as well. It has been a tough year for us on the lease. I am the only person that has gotten a buck. The one I got on opening day. It is unusual for us to not have 4 or 5 "shooter" bucks between us for a season. 

So we are discussing planting our own food plots next year. To me the corn seemed to be the biggest draw. We could probably plant around the solar panels but we can't shoot into the solar panels so we are thinking of clearing some of the brush and making some more food plots. My only experience is with beans and corn and the corn seemed like a bigger draw. 

If you were going to make a 3 to 5 acre plot without the use of farm equipment what would it be? We are not against renting a skid steer to clear an area and maybe getting a disc that can be towed behind an ATV. But we want to make the best use of the plot. This year the deer were on the acorns, we only have a couple of places that hold acorns and this is where I shot the buck. Most of the land across the tracks is hard woods and we don't have permission to hunt there. I am thinking the deer spent most of their time in the hardwoods eating acorns this year. 

I think it all depends on when you do your bulk of hunting, when do the deer need the food source most, when will the deer be attracted to the food plot you put in. If you are more into bow go with clover, the attraction of a good clover in fall is great and it will save you time and effort if you frost seed. Mix in some wheat or rye as a later season source and you have an easy to plot green manure field that you can flip in a couple years into beans, corn or brassicas. As Moog said the clover will put nitrogen into the soil and the rye or wheat would suppress weeds and add a food source even if it snows.

If the soil is crappy radishes have worked awesome for me. Btw all my plots have been done with an atv tow behind tiller and it takes a bit of time but it has worked for me.

This is Powerplant from WTI. They don't produce pods but create an immense amount of late summer early fall forage. The year I planted Powerplant my deer numbers on camera doubled. Im in a low deer density area so this plot made it until frost killed it off. I top seeded radishes about six weeks after I seeded the Powerplant and it came out great. Forage wise that's been the best combination I've had in four years of doing food plots. The beans hid the brassicas and allowed them to survive deer browsing much longer then any other brassicas I've planted. 

Screenshot_2019-12-04-16-10-41.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rachunter said:

What kind of beans and are you guys using food grade or seeds designed for deer. If there’s a difference. I’ve been using throw and grow seven card stud and radish extreme,but want to try separate plots this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the local QDMA for soybean seeds - great great deal (if the deer don't crush them before they have a chance like they did mine)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Check the local QDMA for soybean seeds - great great deal (if the deer don't crush them before they have a chance like they did mine)

@rachunter stratford isn't real close to me but doable if if you're looking for enough bags to be worth the trip. each bag goes for $10 and plants about a 1/4 acre. we'll get another shipment once warmer weather gets here again. it'll be posted in the QDMA forums on here when we do get them.

• Thanks 1