Miserable sight in

Chef

So I had a miserable day trying to sight in My new cva optima. First off the scope that came from muzzleloaders.com was complete shit. I started singing in with the powerbelts. They did a great job bore sighting as it was on paper right away. And here is where the trouble started. I cleaned the barrel and took the send shot after adjusting 15 clicks up to try to get it on target. Well the point of impact didn’t change. I moved it up another 15 clicks cleaned the barrel and tried again. Point of impact did not change. Then I decided to switch bullets to a sabboted bullet too my first shot same general area of impact. This time instead of a full clean I just brushed out the barrel and went to try again. Bullet would not seat. Got about 3 inches away from seating but would not seat. I put on the range jag figuring the extra high would give me more leverage... put some weight on it and snap. The male piece of the range jag broke off in the ram rod. I took off the breech plug and used a rubber mallet to get the bullet out.

I took the gun to the local shop by camp... great people I purchased a scope from him and he said do you want me to bore sight it. I said yes and said I had to go but I’d be back on Monday. He said you know what if you want I can fire sight it in for you. He said he had 245 grain powerbelts and the same pellets im using and he really didn’t mind doing it..what a great shop and guy. I’ll take a few shots with it Monday morning before heading out for a afternoon hunt. I guess I’m going to have to go online and order a new ram rod though.

The real troubling piece for me is that i couldn’t get even a 2nd sabboted bullet down the barrel even after brushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Chef said:

So I had a miserable day trying to sight in My new cva optima. First off the scope that came from muzzleloaders.com was complete shit. I started singing in with the powerbelts. They did a great job bore sighting as it was on paper right away. And here is where the trouble started. I cleaned the barrel and took the send shot after adjusting 15 clicks up to try to get it on target. Well the point of impact didn’t change. I moved it up another 15 clicks cleaned the barrel and tried again. Point of impact did not change. Then I decided to switch bullets to a sabboted bullet too my first shot same general area of impact. This time instead of a full clean I just brushed out the barrel and went to try again. Bullet would not seat. Got about 3 inches away from seating but would not seat. I put on the range jag figuring the extra high would give me more leverage... put some weight on it and snap. The male piece of the range jag broke off in the ram rod. I took off the breech plug and used a rubber mallet to get the bullet out.

I took the gun to the local shop by camp... great people I purchased a scope from him and he said do you want me to bore sight it. I said yes and said I had to go but I’d be back on Monday. He said you know what if you want I can fire sight it in for you. He said he had 245 grain powerbelts and the same pellets im using and he really didn’t mind doing it..what a great shop and guy. I’ll take a few shots with it Monday morning before heading out for a afternoon hunt. I guess I’m going to have to go online and order a new ram rod though.

The real troubling piece for me is that i couldn’t get even a 2nd sabboted bullet down the barrel even after brushing.

Power belts can be a bitch. I had issues with them seating and also the bullet retention was awful. I switched to barnes like many on here and never looked back. 

• Like 2

Power belts can be a bitch. I had issues with them seating and also the bullet retention was awful. I switched to barnes like many on here and never looked back. 

The powerbelts weren’t the problem it was the tc shockwaves with superglide sabboted that were the problem

• Like 1

TC shockwaves with the yellow sabbot fit quite a bit tighter than Hornady SST low drag sabots. depending on what you're using but when i used 777 powder pellets there's a pretty hard crud ring to break up. shouldn't be enough to snap the end off. i use a polymer jag end so it doesn't damage the bore or power rod on my TC. i lap my rings to get enough contact. i've had mounts that just didn't seem to hold zero enough without doing so. despite it's a different kind of recoil they do still kick fairly hard when loaded to the max.

That last 3” is where the burn ring is from the pellets you’re using. You using white bots or 777 either way they both make a burn ring it’s from the glue they use to make the pellets. This is the exact reason why I don’t use pellets any more. Probably too late this year but next year look into these, they’re the best sabots I’ve used and load easy!

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com

It's not the shockwaves , i shot 7 of them in my optima after work on monday . Never pushed a brush ,its actually still down stairs needing to be cleaned. 

I wonder what it could be I’m using white hots which is what cva Recommends.

The accuracy issue was 100% the scope

I’m gunna order the bh breech plug and switch over after the season

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That last 3” is where the burn ring is from the pellets you’re using. You using white bots or 777 either way they both make a burn ring it’s from the glue they use to make the pellets. This is the exact reason why I don’t use pellets any more. Probably too late this year but next year look into these, they’re the best sabots I’ve used and load easy!

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com

Good info.  I can't switch to bh209 without switching muzzleloaders.  So my question is, can I avoid the crud ring by going to loose powder vs pellets?  

Good info.  I can't switch to bh209 without switching muzzleloaders.  So my question is, can I avoid the crud ring by going to loose powder vs pellets?  

Probably, last loose powder I shot was Jim Shockley gold. Much cleaner than 777 but was very temperature sensitive so I didn’t use it for long.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chef said:

I wonder what it could be I’m using white hots which is what cva Recommends.

The accuracy issue was 100% the scope

I’m gunna order the bh breech plug and switch over after the season

I used whitehots because they recommended them ,complete garbage . I could not get any shots to even come close to repeating.

• Like 2

I used whitehots because they recommended them ,complete garbage . I could not get any shots to even come close to repeating.

Well that answers my question then. Thanks! Do you weigh or just measure the 209