Miserable sight in

Chef

I use the BMZ too, it can be used in any gun. I was impressed to say the least. 

and Chef I have only used loose powder, my gun shoots best with a compressed load and I can’t imagine it’d be worse than pellets for any gun. 

There is a “Select” powder by Pyrodex I may try someday. Supposed be their cleanest powder. 

I save you a few bucks the select is no better. I just sold a half case a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The darn in line thing....

Ya know, I have a T/c inline, and have been using one for about 10 years now. Basically I went to it for the scope use. I have never been as satisfied (and I do more than the average amount of shooting) with my groups/ performance/ maintenance as when I was using my 100% faithful and reliable Lyman Great Plains Rifle with black powder and patched ball. I think that with that I allways KNEW the absolute necessity of my cleaning/ regimen routine, and with the inline we like to think it is just a step away from cartridge rifle shooting. I think next year, I go back to my Lyman. I am a relatively close range woods hunter, so my scope given advantage really doesn't mean much.

13 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I just measure it .

13 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have done both to check and the weight never varied more than 1g or so based on a measured 120 volume.  Like you, I don’t weigh it anymore. Fill the tube to 120 and it’s good.  

i'm switching to BH209 good to know. me being an engineer my mind was made up that i'd back check it by weighing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I haven't used anything other than the 777 pellets and haven't had any issues with consistancy.  My muzzleloader is my most accurate gun at 100 yards.  Only prob I have had is 2nd shot is always a about 4 inches lower.  I was sighting in and running bore cleaner thru it every 3rd shot.  It was a little harder to load but not that bad.  

Never figure I'm getting more than 2-3 shots at the very most in most any situation. Most likely a finishing shot for the second. Which is what I had last season. 

But first shot Everytime with the 777 is dead on. 

in my TC prohunter i swabbed the barrel after every shot. 1 wet patch and couple dry patches. it shot sub-MOA groups with 3-50gr 777 pellets and a 250 gr hornady SST sabot.  all that powder charge is real dirty though. needed the wet patch to get rid of the crud ring. i've tried lighter loads to try and cut down on the dirtiness but don't get quite the same groups.  picked up BH209 to see if that changes things. also i feel like 777 is crazy corrosive.  due what you're supposed to though and it does work well, i agree.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat as you chef, im going to switch to blackhorn after this season. Although I might not even be able to go out for the muzzeloader season upstate so maybe Ill just ask a friend to buy it for me so i can use that for the long island season. Its a pain to find blackhorn and im not paying 30 bucks in shipping for it either

Im in the same boat as you chef, im going to switch to blackhorn after this season. Although I might not even be able to go out for the muzzeloader season upstate so maybe Ill just ask a friend to buy it for me so i can use that for the long island season. Its a pain to find blackhorn and im not paying 30 bucks in shipping for it either

They have it at a store by me Im going to be buying it as well if you want I’ll pick you up one

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

They have it at a store by me Im going to be buying it as well if you want I’ll pick you up one

Just an FYI - I bought two canisters 6 years ago.  Not even close to finishing one, but BH209 is supposed to have a very very long shelf life if stored correctly.  So you might want to buy 2 and not worry about it in the future.  Don't recall what it costs, but I bought 2 at the time due to the extra shipping charge.

• Like 2

Just now, moog5050 said:

Just an FYI - I bought two canisters 6 years ago.  Not even close to finishing one, but BH209 is supposed to have a very very long shelf life if stored correctly.  So you might want to buy 2 and not worry about it in the future.  Don't recall what it costs, but I bought 2 at the time due to the extra shipping charge.

I did the same thing and left the moisture absorption package in there .

• Like 1

So just a quick follow up question for some of you that have already been so helpful. I got blackhorn 209 today. Just to clarify I can use any old volume powder measure that I got at bass pro shops today? It’s not brand specific is it?

So just a quick follow up question for some of you that have already been so helpful. I got blackhorn 209 today. Just to clarify I can use any old volume powder measure that I got at bass pro shops today? It’s not brand specific is it?

Yes use whatever kind you want,

Once you find a load that works I highly recommend getting a powder scoop made for your load. It pretty much work like a measuring cup for cooking. Makes it way easier and faster and I think mine was under 10$. They’re called a powder dipper.

Once you find a load that works I highly recommend getting a powder scoop made for your load. It pretty much work like a measuring cup for cooking. Makes it way easier and faster and I think mine was under 10$.

Thanks man for all the advice! I’m going to head up to camp either tonight or tomorrow am. New scope is mounted. I’ll probably spend a hour or so making sure I’m sighted in and then get in the stand. Weather report says rain tomorrow and Tuesday so I guess I’ll have to cover the muzzle. Should be a fun few days

• Like 1

Thanks man for all the advice! I’m going to head up to camp either tonight or tomorrow am. New scope is mounted. I’ll probably spend a hour or so making sure I’m sighted in and then get in the stand. Weather report says rain tomorrow and Tuesday so I guess I’ll have to cover the muzzle. Should be a fun few days

What are the options for covering the barrel to keep precipitation out?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Once you find a load that works I highly recommend getting a powder scoop made for your load. It pretty much work like a measuring cup for cooking. Makes it way easier and faster and I think mine was under 10$. They’re called a powder dipper.

From where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, TACC said:

What are the options for covering the barrel to keep precipitation out?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good old electrical tape is what I use.  Tape an extra piece or two to the side of the barrel for spares in the field. 

Centerfire Rifles get it too....

Edited by Lawdwaz

Good old electrical tape is what I use.  Tape an extra piece or two to the side of the barrel for spares in the field. 

Centerfire Rifles get it too....

In hunters safety they told us if a single snowflake got in our barrel the gun would blow up and take out an entire neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1