RIP Mors Kochanski

DirtTime

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

He might be gone, but his spirit and soul will live on with all the people that learned from him.

I wish I had read more of his teaching and skill set. He is a legend, and always will be.

Other than his wikipedia page, have you found any source for his death? I can't find anything on google, nor Karamat or morskochanski websites. Odd. Wikipedia pages can be hacked, so I am wondering if it could be fake news.

His facebook page doesn't confirm his death, but there is this ominous entry from Sept 14:

Don Kevilus is with Mors Kochanski and 3 others.

September 14 · 

With a heavy heart I am informing the greater bushcraft and outdoor community .That my dear friend and wise Yoda, Mors Kochanski has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and is very ill. He is truly the patron saint of bushcraft. His books, videos and teachings of how to be comfortable and enjoy the wilderness has touched us all. So at request of the family if you would like to send support and encouragement.I'm sure he would love a card or email.
Contact information below;
[email protected] (he is not in the habit of checking but we will try to do better)
Mors Kochanski
55205 Range Road 152
Yellowhead County
T7E 3R8 Canada
He’s a pretty special fellow to us all!

17 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Other than his wikipedia page, have you found any source for his death? I can't find anything on google, nor Karamat or morskochanski websites. Odd. Wikipedia pages can be hacked, so I am wondering if it could be fake news.

This is the link that was sent to me via E-Mail from a buddy, I sincerely doubt this is a hoax.

https://www.facebook.com/KaramatWildernessWays/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

I never read any of his Books. -- RIP.

You might enjoy his books and videos Bill. It may not be in your wheelhouse as most folks on here would rather have three gallons of gas to get a fire going then use a bow drill, flint and steel, or even a knife and a ferro rod to make fire. Take a break from those $200 Turkey Hunting books and read up on being an outdoors man for real. I don't mean that as an insult Bill, but start expanding your horizons.

7 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Rob-- it might surprise you-- but, I have a number of Survival Books from 25 years ago or so.    Modern Hunting With Indian Secrets is just one of them. How To Stay Alive In The Woods - is another. Edible Wild Plants is another, I have made a study of. I always try to learn more on my year round Hikes.

For the hell of it, I ordered the Modern Hunting with Indian Secrets. I really enjoyed a book called Survival Arts Of The Primitive Paiutes. I am hoping Modern Hunting with Indian Secrets will be in the same vein. 

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

You might enjoy his books and videos Bill. It may not be in your wheelhouse as most folks on here would rather have three gallons of gas to get a fire going then use a bow drill, flint and steel, or even a knife and a ferro rod to make fire. Take a break from those $200 Turkey Hunting books and read up on being an outdoors man for real. I don't mean that as an insult Bill, but start expanding your 

I vaguely heard of him started watching some of his videos just now . But 

To be honest 

I like watching his stuff a little better not because I think Dave knows more then that guy but I just like his presentation better on film he is  just a better speaker in my opinion. 

Edited by Hunter007

On 12/5/2019 at 8:07 PM, blackbeltbill said:

Rob-- it might surprise you-- but, I have a number of Survival Books from 25 years ago or so.    Modern Hunting With Indian Secrets is just one of them. How To Stay Alive In The Woods - is another. Edible Wild Plants is another, I have made a study of. I always try to learn more on my year round Hikes.

You read it, but do you practice it? I doubt it. Ever sleep alone in the woods with nothing more then a tarp and a wool blanket in any of you outings? Start a fire with a flint and steel? Bow drill? Ferro rod and a knife? You can read books until you know every word cover to cover, unless you practice what you read, you don't know jack. You should know that, you have written books. If people don't use what you wrote about then they will not know how to make it work.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:10 PM, Hunter007 said:

I vaguely heard of him started watching some of his videos just now . But 

To be honest 

I like watching his stuff a little better not because I think Dave knows more then that guy but I just like his presentation better on film he is  just a better speaker in my opinion. 

Yeah, I would figure you to be the kind to follow a liar who said he did things in the Military he never did just to be on TV. He's a media w$%^@! Mors would run circles around this man!  Do you get out and do any of the things Dave teaches on his channel? We're not talking driving up to the Dacks for a day just to take a pic of a trail head and guardrails, I'm talking back woods camping.

Make fun and disrespect the man all you want, Mors will always be a legend, a real legend!

I apologize for making a thread about a great man. From now on I will just post useless videos, and talk about hunting rattle snakes and mountain lions in NYS.

49 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

You read it, but do you practice it? I doubt it. Ever sleep alone in the woods with nothing more then a tarp and a wool blanket in any of you outings? Start a fire with a flint and steel? Bow drill? Ferro rod and a knife? You can read books until you know every word cover to cover, unless you practice what you read, you don't know jack. You should know that, you have written books. If people don't use what you wrote about then they will not know how to make it work.

Yeah, I would figure you to be the kind to follow a liar who said he did things in the Military he never did just to be on TV. He's a media w$%^@! Mors would run circles around this man!  Do you get out and do any of the things Dave teaches on his channel? We're not talking driving up to the Dacks for a day just to take a pic of a trail head and guardrails, I'm talking back woods camping.

Make fun and disrespect the man all you want, Mors will always be a legend, a real legend!

I apologize for making a thread about a great man. From now on I will just post useless videos, and talk about hunting rattle snakes and mountain lions in NYS.

I am not disagreeing with your you buddy just saying dave is better speaker just a more charismatic personality to watch on videos . That's all

.   Like watching those survival shows on tv  but to be honest after a few hours in the woods like most people  I had enough .  

Like watching this guy even more then dave I actually chatted with on a forum different one ,  before he got famous on tv and now YouTube.  Nice guy . And not fake nice either   sincerely  a nice guy .

Edited by Hunter007

Sad to hear of his passing . There is only a couple merit badges I received that I even remeber getting ,one being archery and this thread reminds of the other one ,wilderness survival merit badge . It consisted of canoeing 50 miles in the Adirondacks for 5 days with just a tarp for shelter ,no matches ,lighters or 3 gallons of gas to start a fire ,we were allowed to bring freeze dried food but I'm positive we could have eaten fish all week if we wanted to. There was 4 of us who completed it that weekend . We did get the canoeing merit badge after that trip also.

• Like 1