Bucks shedding antlers already?

mlammerhirt

Shedding can happen at any time of the season. I once shot a “doe” on opening day of shotgun that turned out to be a buck that had recently shed. Still fresh stumps. I know he had recently shed because in following the blood trail on hands and knees thru a scrub swamp I found both antlers within ten yards of each other. They fit perfectly into the shed scars on the deer I killed. 
Lots of variables involved in when a buck sheds antlers, kind of like us losing hair!

I had a mature buck few years back drop both his antlers on the last weekend of gun, later to find out when i shot him two years later that he had an injured front hoof. Usually if they drop this early and not from a break its mostly likely contributed to  an injury or poor health.

This cell cam is located in a bedding area off a bean field on a south facing slope so I get pics of this guy every few days. Doesn't seem to have a visible injury....and had all the headgear 3 nights ago. He is a decent 1.5 yr old.....so with this Intel he now gets a pass the remainder of the season

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 46rkl said:

Shedding can happen at any time of the season. I once shot a “doe” on opening day of shotgun that turned out to be a buck that had recently shed. Still fresh stumps. I know he had recently shed because in following the blood trail on hands and knees thru a scrub swamp I found both antlers within ten yards of each other. They fit perfectly into the shed scars on the deer I killed. 
Lots of variables involved in when a buck sheds antlers, kind of like us losing hair!

I just gotta say that's a pretty cool experience and one for the memory book.  

I shot a 4pt on Opening Day- middle on Novenber-15 years ago or so. It ran about 75 yards after the shot into briars. When I found the deer it was 2pt. It lost the other side somewhere in the brush- nothing heavy in there like a tree to bump it on.