High temp cheese for sausage

Team Hoyt

As the good lord has blessed me again this year with a extra deer for sausage. I process my own meat and will be making Italian, brats, summer, snack sticks. In the past I've bought high temp cheese. Thinking this year I'll just buy store bought shredded cheese. Anyone with experience with it, will it work?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Team Hoyt said:

As the good lord has blessed me again this year with a extra deer for sausage. I process my own meat and will be making Italian, brats, summer, snack sticks. In the past I've bought high temp cheese. Thinking this year I'll just buy store bought shredded cheese. Anyone with experience with it, will it work?

Costanzas uses pepper jack among others I think.  I suspect hard cheddar would work too.  Maybe chunked vs. shredded.

• Like 1

There is not No need for expensive high temp cheese. We have no issues with a sharp or extra sharp cheddar. We add our own peppers so we didn't need pepper cheese. At a cooking or smoking temp of 180-190 the sharp doesn't melt. We buy in 3# blocks and toss chunks in as we grind the venison for the last time. Our hot dogs we grind 3 times so the cheese gets added with the last grinding and then we put it through the hand crank paddle mixer for adding the spices. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2