First yr in almost 40 yrs of hunting....

mowin

That I've never hit the release, or trigger.  Don't plan on taking anything this ML either.   Things have definitely changed for me this yr as far as tagging a deer.  I'm not a trophy hunter.  Never have been, never will be.  

Had what I would call a great time and season. What time I spent in the woods was very special to me.  

The only regret I have is not helping to supplying my grandnephews/nieces with venison. Others have taken care of that. 

Highlight of my season was my brother probably taking his last deer.  A 6pt.  He's said it's his last season.  Too hard to get out there.  I'll do my best to prove him wrong. Hopefully he can get one, or three more seasons and maybe a doe or two before he just can't get out again.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 20

17 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

The older I get the more I realize, understand and enjoy the fact that it’s more about making memories and enjoying the day than it is about pulling the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im with you on this.  Last 2 years its really sunk in more and more that i just enjoy being out.  Always enjoyed it but i dont know what changed but i seemed to enjoy it even more the last couple years.

• Like 2

I still love being out there and I still enjoy taking a nice deer, but now that I'm 64, I'm well aware of all the work I'll need to do right after the gun goes off.  Thinking about that when I see a big buck sure helps to eliminate any buck fever. 

"The fun's over when the gun goes off!"

;)

• Like 4

I was lucky to shoot a 7 pt last thursday of bow and a 9 pt on opening day. I tried my best to enjoy those kills but was really not feeling good that whole week. The best part of those eight days at camp was my Niece brought her 4 month old daughter and 9 year old son. We had a great time with them and some great memories were made!

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

I still love being out there and I still enjoy taking a nice deer, but now that I'm 64, I'm well aware of all the work I'll need to do right after the gun goes off.  Thinking about that when I see a big buck sure helps to eliminate any buck fever. 

"The fun's over when the gun goes off!"

;)

At 60, I sure am with you on this one. After so many years and so many deers...lol..I just can't get them hung up, cut up, and wrapped alone like I used to. Plus, after being away for so long nothing is set up to properly tackle the deer processing part of the equation. 

Unfortunately, with the exception of one local fellow who cut a few of my deer, the several other times I payed to have it done I was terribly disappointed. When you cut as many deer as I have you know full well what you should be getting back, and when you did not. Getting one small box or a couple white plastic shopping bags filled with "your deer" just does not fly with me. 

Also, the idea that I might kill a deer with one shot and handle it properly then possibly if not likely gets tossed and mixed in with one shot to pieces and handled questionably burns me up.   If I choose to have every part of the deer with the exception of tenderloins and backstraps turned into processed items that is my business,  but it shouldn't get mixed in with some else's deer as part of the deal. 

If I could only find someone I trust to cut and wrap my deer it would be a blessing and they would have a long (hopefully) time customer. I would never grumble about the price I'm asked to pay because I know the work involved, but I would insist on knowing what I brought in was what I was bringing home. Nothing more and nothing less! 

Anyone have such a deer processor close to either Utica or near my family in Webster?

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 2

I too seem to look forward to deer hunting the more I age and I'm 66. It can get frustrating not seeing deer but I still just like being part of the woods. I am very fortunate to be able to hunt on the land I live on after most of my life prior to 2014 having to deal with much of the bs that many face each and every year. After not seeing much on camera as well as on the hoof my season ended well with decent 8 with the bow during that cold snap and again on the second Saturday a nice 9 with the rifle. I too agree it's not always how many or how big a buck you kill it's just seeing them and watching them that keeps me getting up at 5am. 

• Like 2

I am in the same boat.. I did not see one single deer regular season until Saturday morning.. It was still awesome to get out during this busy time.  I will not need to purchase and ammo for next year.

Congrats to all who were successful and to those who were not... It all about being out there !