Mini Chestnut Orchard's

Well it's the time of yr I start transitioning to habitat improvements. I have a window basically till April where I don't have a ton of distractions on the weekends. Seems like a lot of time but usually the weather turns to sh&t and it's either super cold or lots of snow. 

Anyways I'm thinking about planting a small chestnut orchard using Chinese & Dunsten. I'm thinking at this point maybe 10-30. I have some areas where the ash trees we have are dead or dying and I thought this might be a great spot to fill in the void. 

Any suggestions on where I should order them from, how small or tall? Me I'd rather spend more on a larger tree (within reason), sooner it produces the better.

7 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Might want to look into american chestnuts. Theyve done a lot of work with them at SUNY ESF and theyve come up with blight resistant american chestnuts so you might be able to get some from there 

Interesting, I heard they were making progress but weren't 100% certain it was fully resistant.

4 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

This is slightly different than what I was talking about. This is a back breeding program that will hopefully result in a tree thats 15/16ths american chestnut. The process that I think will result in a better product is a lot more complicated than this. Look up suny esf chestnut program 

I did, I clicked on the nys chapter and that's where I saw the CBS report. I'll keep looking!

51 minutes ago, Bigbuckdown2019 said:

I did, I clicked on the nys chapter and that's where I saw the CBS report. I'll keep looking!

Post what you find, I'm interested in something like this too!  Got a 3 acre field I want to turn into deer habitat.

Edit : Sent them an email, I'll post what I get back.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Post what you find, I'm interested in something like this too!  Got a 3 acre field I want to turn into deer habitat.  

Will due, I'll probably update this as I go from start to finish!

Anyone interested in the transgenic tree that SUNY-ESF has developed, https://www.esf.edu/chestnut/   just send me an email. [email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhMdUryolU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR27j2PDI52Ae7amNXcxCYIAtVO7Aq8uyiPUGRD3pPSzzGLS7Bxr1UzatCA

The hybrid trees are not as blight resistant as originally hoped, as they have found that there are genes for blight resistant on 9 of the 12 chromosomes in the Chinese chestnut, not just 2-3 as originally thought when they started the back cross breeding program over 30 years ago.. That make it almost impossible to develop a chestnut tree that would be as blight resistant as the Chinese tree, but be mostly American.

Allen Nichols

President, NY-TACF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allen said:

Anyone interested in the transgenic tree that SUNY-ESF has developed, https://www.esf.edu/chestnut/   just send me an email. [email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhMdUryolU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR27j2PDI52Ae7amNXcxCYIAtVO7Aq8uyiPUGRD3pPSzzGLS7Bxr1UzatCA

The hybrid trees are not as blight resistant as originally hoped, as they have found that there are genes for blight resistant on 9 of the 12 chromosomes in the Chinese chestnut, not just 2-3 as originally thought when they started the back cross breeding program over 30 years ago.. That make it almost impossible to develop a chestnut tree that would be as blight resistant as the Chinese tree, but be mostly American.

Allen Nichols

President, NY-TACF

Very, very interesting!  I would definitely be interested in planting a 2 to 3 acre Grove myself.

Edit:. I rescind my earlier suspicious warnings after doing some reading!

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
Paranoia

order seeds/nuts now and grow your own trees lot cheeper i did last winter planted trees early fall they are doing well so far tree tubes are the most costly item and you need those either way, or some type of protection from the deer

Where did you order your seeds and whatcha get?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, allen said:

Allen Nichols

President, NY-TACF

Well thanks for chiming in Allen I'll deff reach out about buying some trees!!

10 hours ago, land 1 said:

order seeds/nuts now and grow your own trees lot cheeper i did last winter planted trees early fall they are doing well so far tree tubes are the most costly item and you need those either way, or some type of protection from the deer

Yeah it a bucket list item for me, I just don't have the time to try growing my own at this point. Later on I'm trying it.

There are so many darn options and prices. I keep searching and searching and I get lost. I'm gonna write down each sites tree height and price, then ill post up the top handful of what I think are good deals. Gman I know your well versed with these trees where did you pickup your trees?

My science teacher neighbor wants to start them from seed so any recommendations for that I would love....she said no to the flesh eating beetles however(different thread)

Tell her she needs beetles otherwise no way will you help her start from seed

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

My science teacher neighbor wants to start them from seed so any recommendations for that I would love....she said no to the flesh eating beetles however(different thread)

Chestnut Hill is an option or Chestnut ridge of pike co you can get for seeding and some for eating. I've never had them and may order to try.

From Allen:

emails with information on our restoration program, but it sounds like you have a great place to start some restoration.

Where in NY are you located? 

Basically at this time SUNY-ESF has developed a blight resistant tree, but for restoration we want everyone involved to cross that tree, when available, with wild type trees. That will then give everyone blight resistant nuts with good genetic diversity.
To start we need everyone to plant some wild type trees from nuts, which we supply free of charge, for mother trees. Then when the blight resistant tree is approved for distribution, they cross the blight resistant tree with the wild type mother trees.

We are hoping to have our blight resistant tree approved for distribution in just a year or two, and SUNY-ESF hopes to have over 10,000 by that time. But, many of them will be clones and will have to be crossed with wild type trees to produce fertile nuts, The American chestnut is not self pollinating so none of the clonal trees would pollinate each other, and that is one of the reasons we want, and need, each one to be planted with wild type mother trees.

The American chestnut flowers very quickly when planted in full sun, but may take 30 years to get to the canopy in the forest and flower. 

See pictures of 3 year old trees.
  • Like 1

Ok I've looked and looked for mainly Chinese chestnut prices and there can be a wide price and size range.

I found one place that has bearing size trees 7-8ft for $139.00.

I think the best overall prices I've found thus far was $4.64 per tree (25min) 3-4ft trees. So deff very affordable. The bearing size is intriguing for a couple reasons. 

1) I really want to enhance the edges of the new food plot and some of these trees would really do just that.

2) My dad's not getting any younger and probably won't be hunting 10 yrs from now and he likes to sit near the new plot. I'd like nothing more than for him to get one really nice buck on his land before he hangs it up. I think he'd really enjoy that. So bearing size has value for my situation I believe!

• Like 2