How many hours total did you spend deer hunting

Hunter007

How many hours total did you spend deer hunting this season .I could only hunt mornings went out 6 times probably about 24 to 30 hours in the woods I saw nothing   but some tracks and scraps deer droppings.  And as far as I can tell nobody managed to shoot any deer at the land I was hunting despite much evidence that there are deer there . spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

20191206_105745.jpg

20191206_083027.jpg

20191206_085146.jpg

20191206_084844.jpg

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

I have never paid attention or logged my time in the woods. Maybe I should start. It is alot more time than I thought. I just went back through the calender which was easy to do cause I have hunted every Saturday and Sunday since October first, took two days the week before rifle and Thanksgiving morning. Today will be my 20th day and I am estimating somewhere near 150 hours hunting. I imagine that is a pretty close estimate and alot more than I thought.

• Like 1

As best as I can recall, I had 9 hunts where I left the truck well before sunup and came back after  dark (all day in the woods). I had 4 hunts where I stayed up in my tree stand dusk till dark without coming down. And I had a bunch of half day hunts too. It's been a great season so far, but I always wish I had more time to be out there.

I keep a log of hunting times and sightings. So far counting bow and gun season combined, I have logged in 35 hunts consisting of 210.5 hours of stand time not counting time of sitting in the dark waiting for sunrise. This includes the 1.25 hours on stand 12/1/19 up until the time I shot my buck on 12/1.  I have not been back out after 12/1; waiting for Muzzleloader to start.

The 35 hunts comprise of 9 AM Hunts, 14 PM Hunts, and 12 All Day Sits on stand dark to dark with a combined total of 111 deer sightings.  Granted many of the sightings are the same deer day after day and even most likely sometimes in the same day on all day sits with AM and PM movement. 

TOTALS As of 12/1/19

Deer BreakdownBuck-21                                                                                                                                                             

(1 Shooter 8Pt-Bow[Drew Back-15Yds But No Shot, 1 Shooter 8 Pt-Gun[Harvested; Previously Passed 2x])

Doe (Antlerless)-82

Unknown-8

Bow Season: Total Deer – 55 Deer in 123.25 Hours / 22 Hunts – 6 AM / 11 PM / 5 All Day

Deer BreakdownBuck-12 / Doe (Antlerless)-39 / Unknown-4

Gun Season: Total Deer – 56 Deer in 86.25 Hours / 13 Hunts – 3 AM / 3 PM / 7 All Day (As of 12/1)

Deer BreakdownBuck-9 / Doe (Antlerless)-43 / Unknown-4

• Like 2

I hunted about 24 hours in the northern zone, with no shots taken, seeing 4 or 5 unidentified deer.  I also spent about 24 hours in the southern zone, killing (2) deer and seeing about a dozen (all but three were antlered).  I had our year's worth of venison in the first hour on opening day of crossbow season and the first half hour of opening day of gun season.   I still have a buck tag, and (4) doe tags, which I will spend about 12 more hours working on thru late ML season, but I am not all that into it, since our meat supply is already secured.   Depending on the weather conditions, I should end up with about 60 hours total.    I would like to have had more time to hunt, but I am inundated with other work to do around home in my "free" time.   

• Like 1

Not as many as I would like! I tagged out (one doe, one buck) as of last Monday and had all week off through today to hunt. Spent about 3 days on and off processing and packaging. Successful year, but I love being out there too much to shorten my time out. Due to a hip injury I am not able to sit comfortably as long as I like, usually 2-3 hrs pushing it. Probably around 30-36 hrs on stand max for the season.

How much of that time did I see deer?maybe 20 minutes. Blink or look the wrong way, snooze, get on stand five minutes to late or leave one minute too early...diff. of not seeing any at all

My best guestimate is about 60 hours in the stand this year so far. That's not including time spent driving, walking in or out, scouting, moving stands or cameras, reviewing cam pix, dragging deer, butchering, etc... So I think I've 'hunted' around 60 hours, but the total time spent on this (hobby, obsession, addiction..) is probably closer to 250 to 300 hours this season..

Prolly around 150-200 hours. Shot 2 buck and 4 doe in ny, 2 doe in pa. Still have a buck and doe tag for pa next weekend, I’m done in NY. Have seen probably 300-400 deer from stand (I’m sure many are repeats) 

Edited by Hock3y24

ok well..... with 59 hunts in the book and I will be conservative and say 4.5 hours per hunt (some were 8hrs some were 2.5 hours) that puts me at 265.5 hours.  At Minimum wage for a PT job at subway for $11.10 hr thats $2,941.50 or $2,262 after taxes.  So at $4 a lb for beef thats 565.67 lbs of beef in the freezer.  Hmmm ...... hunting time in the woods where its quiet......priceless!  lol

• Like 2