Would you shoot a slug that rattles when you shake it around?

Hunter007

Would you shoot a slug that rattles when you shake it around?

Had one rem slugger looks to be defective  rattles when you shake it something inside the shell is loose .  None of the others that I have ever bought did that .

I AM NOT USING IT ,

Just to be on the safe side .

Anyone have any experience with slugs that are messed up like that . Have you shot them what happened? 

Edited by Hunter007

I haven't shot slugs in years, but I remember well that it was not uncommon for slugs to rattle a bit in their shell. Ya gotta remember  slug shells certainly are not built to brass /rifle cartridge specs, the plastic casings are designed to be more flexible, and the cast slugs certainly aren't needed to be the precision of a jacketed bullet. Not only that, slugs were designed to be safe to fire through any shotgun choke- including full.

That said, I remember measuring a number of brands of slugs with machinist calipers, and Remingtons had the smallest diameter, Winchester the largest...and generally, the Winchester pumpkin balls shot the most accurate for me. Thus better quality slug guns had an undersized slug barrel...of which esp. the Ithaca Deerslayers were famous for.

43 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I haven't shot slugs in years, but I remember well that it was not uncommon for slugs to rattle a bit in their shell. Ya gotta remember  slug shells certainly are not built to brass /rifle cartridge specs, the plastic casings are designed to be more flexible, and the cast slugs certainly aren't needed to be the precision of a jacketed bullet. Not only that, slugs were designed to be safe to fire through any shotgun choke- including full.

That said, I remember measuring a number of brands of slugs with machinist calipers, and Remingtons had the smallest diameter, Winchester the largest...and generally, the Winchester pumpkin balls shot the most accurate for me. Thus better quality slug guns had an undersized slug barrel...of which esp. the Ithaca Deerslayers were famous for.

Dave nailed it. It was very common to have the old pumpkinballs rattle in the casing. Not an issue at all. 

• Like 1