Planting corn, will it reseed ?

luberhill

The only way to plant corn without plowing or tilling is with a no-till seeder.  I don't think you want to buy one for a couple acres of corn.  

The point of a food plot is for the critters to eat it.  There shouldn't be enough corn (seed) left for it to grow.  On top of that, corn likes to be planted fairly deep.

Soybeans are easier to grow.  Others have managed to seed them with a roller or a crimper.  I use a rototiller and a roller.  I have never had soybeans reseed either.

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

The only way to plant corn without plowing or tilling is with a no-till seeder.  I don't think you want to buy one for a couple acres of corn.  

The point of a food plot is for the critters to eat it.  There shouldn't be enough corn (seed) left for it to grow.  On top of that, corn likes to be planted fairly deep.

Soybeans are easier to grow.  Others have managed to seed them with a roller or a crimper.  I use a rototiller and a roller.  I have never had soybeans reseed either.

So would there still be beans left at this time of year or say November ?

5 hours ago, luberhill said:

So if I want to plant corn as a food plot on an acre or 2, is there any easy way to do it with out plowing, disc, etc ?

And if I left it standing would it reseed itself ?

How about soybeans ?

Most of the corn planted these days is gly-resistant and it will reseed itself somewhat but not enough to amount to much.  The corn that sprouts the following year retains the gly-resistant trait, so you would need to use a grass-specific type herbicide to kill it.  I always rotate areas that were corn with a mix of white clover, wheat, and soybeans, planted in the early fall.  A mower is used to clip the wheat before it goes to seed the following year and to control the grassy weeds (including reseeded corn) in the clover over the next several years.  Ideally, you should have about 4 acres of clover for every acre of corn to support that rotation.  The clover also provides the deer something to eat at night, but they will usually spend daylight hours in the corn which is the only plot that provides exactly the type of feed deer seek, along with the cover they need throughout hunting season.  The clover also builds up nitrogen in the soil, reducing the fertilizer cost for subsequent corn crops.    

Spring planted soybeans may attract coyotes and does before and during fawning time.   That is the reason I prefer to only use them as part of a fall-planted mix.   Why not have their period of maximum attractiveness line up with early archery season ?   An easy way to do 2 acres of corn would be to sub the job out to a neighbor with the equipment to do it.