Skull Hooker

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

such a unique buck. almost like a roe or sika

Definitely my most memorable hunt.  After I shot him he ran down the hill and across the road into a cornfield.  As I was following the blood trail across the road, a lady rode by on a bicycle and said "Are you looking for a deer?  There's a dead one right there!"  She kinda ruined the excitement of following the blood trail to the deer, but I was just happy to recover my first bow deer.  That was 2013 and I haven't shot a deer with a gun since.  Maybe next year?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I know it doesnt seem important right now but we need it for your file

Fair enough - I am not a snuggler either, as my wife will attest.    In fact, if you wake me from a deep sleep, do so with a stick as I tend to throw punches. 

My two best bucks I took when I was young and poor and didn't even consider mounting. The big non typ was archery and that deer dressed out just under 190. I sold the cape to the taxidermist who was redoing a mount for one of the NYS big buck club bucks. I always wondered where it ended up. That buck had a very noticeable reddish hue to the top of his head. I am gonna lean towards Biz on this one. I have never gotten him done since because it would not be him. I would know.

I do like euros though and have quite a few. My rifle buck this year is getting beatled shortly. I'm not decided if I would dip one though.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Yes. In fact, it almost happened to me coming home from wyoming. the boxes with capes were delayed in shipping. Luckily they didnt slip. The mule deer buck had a double throat patch and i was prepared to just keep the racks. 

My 2016 230lb adk bucks cape got ruined by the Taxidermist. He was very sorry and got a new cape and did mounted it for free and I have since disassembled the mount and just have his horns. The rack wasn’t what made that buck it was his size. Those horns on a 150lb cape looked huge but that’s not why I wanted him mounted. Extreme case but I agree with Biz on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My 2016 230lb adk bucks cape got ruined by the Taxidermist. He was very sorry and got a new cape and did mounted it for free and I have since disassembled the mount and just have his horns. The rack wasn’t what made that buck it was his size. Those horns on a 150lb cape looked huge but that’s not why I wanted him mounted. Extreme case but I agree with Biz on this one.

why didn't he buy the same size cape?  My head would look huge on a 150lb body too.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Thats a whole different set of circumstances, I'd have been wildly disappointed too. I dont want my deer looking bigger or smaller than I know they actually were 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

maybe WNY bucks have less variations? I definitely see varying capes when hunting. some deer are orangey, some darker, some lighter, etc.

Capes vary alot. I try to match as close to the size/coloration of the original as possible when I need to use a replacement cape. I can pick up on the subtle little differences easily but most people are clueless. The difference in the capes from early October til late season are huge. I like mid October the best. Just mounted this one up over the weekend...gorgeous Oct 9th bow kill with a double throat patch.

20191208_150757.thumb.jpg.c756b8f4f3d0cd5c239b2f47d88d8822.jpg

20191208_150816.thumb.jpg.239e3cb9cff61e8bb92147fd163884b8.jpg

• Like 2

Capes vary alot. I try to match as close to the size/coloration of the original as possible when I need to use a replacement cape. I can pick up on the subtle little differences easily but most people are clueless. The difference in the capes from early October til late season are huge. I like mid October the best. Just mounted this one up over the weekend...gorgeous Oct 9th bow kill with a double throat patch.
20191208_150757.thumb.jpg.c756b8f4f3d0cd5c239b2f47d88d8822.jpg
20191208_150816.thumb.jpg.239e3cb9cff61e8bb92147fd163884b8.jpg
Loving that you didn't fix his bullet hole in his antler

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Loving that you didn't fix his bullet hole in his antler

2 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Pretty sure it was just an injury to the growing antler in velvet. 

I was always under the impression that majority of those holes are from Botfly larvae

• Like 1

Pretty sure it was just an injury to the growing antler in velvet. 
Blasphemy! It was clearly the bullet hole that snaked through his horns then finished in the deers brain killing him instantly leaving it with no meat damage and a sweet bullet hole in his antler

Just now, The Jerkman said:

Blasphemy! It was clearly the bullet hole that snaked through his horns then finished in the deers brain killing him instantly leaving it with no meat damage and a sweet bullet hole in his antler

Botfly

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I heard that the holes are caused by insects when in velvet - could be botfly

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

maybe WNY bucks have less varations? I definitely see varying capes when hunting. some deer are orangey, some darker, some lighter, etc.

Conflicting reports on the topic. I myself believe the second theory...

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/blogs/dan-schmidt-deer-blog-whitetail-wisdom/whitetail-antlers-the-hole-truth

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4950440/Re_Whitetail_deer_antler_beam_

• Like 1

Was measuring the cape for this deer yesterday and was blown away by the size...8" eye to nose x 23.5 x 26 x 30! They said he dressed 241.5 at the processors two days after it was killed. I wrote it off as an exaggeration but maybe not?
My friend in the pic is 6'4"...
20191210_152137.thumb.jpg.b285f47934de648c5aba93715eb16b06.jpg
That is an elephant of a deer

4 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Was measuring the cape for this deer yesterday and was blown away by the size...8" eye to nose x 23.5 x 26 x 30! They said he dressed 241.5 at the processors two days after it was killed. I wrote it off as an exaggeration but maybe not?

My friend in the pic is 6'4"...

Holy buck ....