Best month to scout public land?

goosifer

This is a hypothetical question. If you wanted to scout public land in the southern zone that was new to you, and you only had one month to do your scouting, what month/30 day period would you choose? I hope this isn't too silly of a question. Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by goosifer

I know practically nothing about hunting.  However, Jenn, and I decided to take a look around some public land yesterday with the rifle.  We did a short 2.61 mile still hunt together, since snow was on the ground for one week.  We paid attention to the tracks/trails/dig marks.  We marked areas, and our travel on the OnX app.  It helped us decipher a plan of attack for cam placement come warmer weather.  Again, worst person to take hunting advice from, but I am determined make next year epic.

• Like 2

Yeah, after the snow melts off and the ground begins to thaw the travel routes are very evident in the muddy ground. Of course, these paths are winter feeding travel routes, so you need to be aware of that! Sometimes they are everyday travel routes or may just be seasonal routes...!?! Does give a good indication of deer being around though!!!

• Like 1

thats such a tough one cause things can change so much.  On lease i have after 2nd week of gun season thru a lot of the winter its just a dead zone because there isnt a lot of food.  So deer are moving out to a couple of fields nearby and they bed close to that.  But during the rut a lot of bucks are crusiers thru the property.  I guess finding trails that are still there is the way to go.  But hard to beat in season scouting. 

• Like 1

They say the day after season ends... but id imagine on heavy pressure public land.. you may get less than desired results. so Id say mid to late winter? Also depends if theres AG land around they would be heading to at night. 

If your scouting for buck bedrooms rubs should be noticeable anytime, as for beds and heavy trails, they should show easily with snow on the ground... scrapes id think are best found with zero snow on the ground..

Id say it mainly depends what your goal is to accomplish during your trips.. then decide when to go.. id spend a few days after season ends, and then spend a few days before season opens if you have time.. also depends on when youll be hunting the land to IMO  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 10:03 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

March/ April when ever the snow first melts. The snow protects the sign just the way it was in November. I do all of my scouting in the Adirondacks in late April/May because that’s usually when the snow is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

• Like 1

I'd go right after xmas 

With them deer being pressured u will find the best bedding u can find when they feel safe 

I go from dec 26 all the way till the end of  march 

Always find the best primary beds from after hunting until about the end of january 

Edited by Daveynewman
  • Like 1

call me silly but a lot of southern zone public land is heavily pressured with stand locations or people traffic that don't change much. also some public land once hunting season is over you have to stick to trail system. I go anytime I'm free to scout. right now is good around here because all that snow is melting off. bring a weapon with it still being deer season. you'll still see trails and a lot of deer sign if you're looking for it. if you don't have a tag for anything then wait until after the season like the others said. otherwise you're just being a dick.

Most is pressured, some isn't. As somebody already mentioned, deer can 100% change their pattern during and after season. My .o2 about state land, is an easy one for the SZ. Hunt during season. Forget about scouting the deer, scout the hunters. If you can get away from the beaten paths, you will find the deer. Snow will obviously make it easy for you. Put in your time during season, see where guys are going, and make a plan to go the next year. Throw some cams up and pound the ground early September and get a spot or two ready for bow. If you can find a consistent bedding area that appears to be hunter free, plan on being there on the down wind side for bow and gun season. Anyone will tell you, to be consistently successful on public, you gotta put in the time and learn the land.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Imo depends on when you plan on hunting it. Scouting for deer sign in the snow is great If you plan on hunting in snow, but it will not show you were the game is oct 1st. 

Most successful hunters I know can read the lay of the land, know their trees and preferred food sources in their hunting area. This can be learned mostly.over hunting the same area repeatedly.  

It use to be common to walk and hunt before the common practice of sitting your butt in a stand and waiting for something to walk by took hold. This was a great way to learn the land and where you jumped deer consistantly, finding active feed areas , and staging areas.

Imo when your hunting in snow and kill or jump a deer you should take the time to back track it and see what it was doing before you saw or shot it. You may find it was bedded, was feeding, was pushed by other hunters entering the area. All results are to be filed in your head for future use. For example Knowing they  were feeding in a hidden orchard and were headed to bed or a farmers field gives you  ability to check that place to see if it has food the next year well before the season( I walk the woods checking for nuts and apples in july) again if they were pushed to you by other hunters who get out of work at 2pm and head to the woods and they reach you at 3pm you may want to be in that area early enough to set up on the pressure they receive. I had a neighbor get out at 330pm and he would ride his 4 wheeler up his hill looking for turkey and would push deer off the top like clockwork at 4pm where they would end up filtering by my bowstand by 415 every weekday. He didnt archery hunt but it made easy hunting for me for years till I told him about it over a few drinks( another reason not to drink with neighbors to excess) now he walks and my free deer drive has ended.. was good while it lasted... 

So best time to scout is the same time you expect to be hunting it the next year. Keeping tract of mast production and weather conditions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think this really depends on how much pressure the public land you hunt gets. Deer may get used to people hiking trails on that type of land, but once the bow season hits and hunters are setting up, deer movement will change slightly.

I will put my time scouting in usually until early September.

I also scout as I still hunt during the season. I guess, I more or less scout for deer all year. If I'm hiking I will look for game trails, then I will look at the surroundings. If I'm alone, I will try and follow the game trial off to the side a bit and see where it goes, possible bedding area?- food source?. Then I'll start making a plan.

Edited by DirtTime

I had many days where I just played watch, see and learn. I did a lot of walking this season, more so then I usually do. I was just trying to really get a full handle on only two areas I hunt deer in, instead of bouncing all over the place. Very slow steady walks, and looking at places I had never taken the time to look at before.

I did notice something odd this season, there were more people out later in the gun season then I have seen in the 4 years hunting the public land somewhat close to home. Even during the week. I guess quite a few had slow seasons as well.

I'm just always looking for critter sign in the woods when I'm out there even just hiking in the off seasons. I can't help myself, it's almost involuntary.