What would you do!?

fadetoblack188

I sit in my stand and just about every morning I see a monster 8 in the field two hundred yards away. There is no where to hang a stand along the field so that option is out. 

would you stay in your stand and try and grunt him down when you see him? 

or would you tuck yourself into a bush And sit on a bucket or somthing with face covered best you can at the edge of that field?  It’s to far to carry a blind in, in the morning 

what would you decide? 

make sure you have decent back cover or pick out a nice tree to be behind at the edge of the field. if the sun as at your back too even better. problem is that before you were close to where another deer would bust you but now you could be. don't want him standing out in the field and have another deer blow at you and run him off the field.

10 minutes ago, fadetoblack188 said:

I sit in my stand and just about every morning I see a monster 8 in the field two hundred yards away. There is no where to hang a stand along the field so that option is out. 

would you stay in your stand and try and grunt him down when you see him? 

or would you tuck yourself into a bush And sit on a bucket or somthing with face covered best you can at the edge of that field?  It’s to far to carry a blind in, in the morning 

what would you decide? 

Carry a stool, a shooting stick and find some cover 50-100yds closer.  Go quiet predawn, set up and shoot him.  Heck I got within 15' in bow.  No doubt you can make this work!  200yds may be a doable shot too with a rest.

• Like 3

I think chances of calling him into range are gonna be tough - I would def make a move - what do you have to lose.  Can your stand be moved?  even if a ladder stand move it quick during midday and hunt it the next morn?  If not find a good spot to tuck in with bow and lots of cover but sure you have a couple shooting lanes, just enough to sneak one through.  

Can you use crossbow? I mean they shoot out to 200 right?

Ok, I couldn't help myself lol!!

I would make a move too before he changes pattern. You got to play the wind perfect. And do you see him come in or is he already there? You gotta get in without him knowing.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

Where is he coming from? And where is he going to, when you see him out in the field? Those two points, would be my best choices to set up an ambush position for a buck that has been patterned. Wind direction considered of course.

This, plus knowing whether timing wise its light to kill him at one of those 2 spots.

3 minutes ago, fadetoblack188 said:

I am just always so nervous about getting winded from the ground 

Yea do Not pick one of those days the wind hasn't made up its mind. You would actually prefer a decent consistent 5 to 15 mph wind to give you some cover noise as well. And some movement to the vegetation.

There is usually does in the field and he comes out to meet them. 

It will be snowing in the mornings Which could help with scent.   he usually walks from the north, south into the field. But he has a couple times came in from the south walking north. Which makes me think not to chance it tomorrow because it’s a north wind.  I would prefer a west wind blowing East to set up on east side of field to cover both aspects. 

Ugh unless the wind changes west I don’t think I’ll set up on the field tomorrow.  After my hunt I may set up my camera on the field though 

he has never been on my camera at my stand 200 yards east of the field.