Bullet choices for deer.

Nytracker

19 minutes ago, wolc123 said:
58 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

. Your only shot may be at the south end of a rapidly departing northbound buck... The prima donnas among you can moralize about taking such shots, but that is the way it is...

Yeah baby

If I know I can make the shot I have no problem taking it, 4 bucks and 1 doe on rear end shots, all with 12 ga shotgun slugs and none went more than a few yards after being hit,

Funny how things change with time, I have books showing how to place shots on game for just about every angle possible including the rear end shot. Now for some it is taboo.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, airedale said:

Funny how things change with time, I have books showing how to place shots on game for just about every angle possible including the rear end shot. Now for some it is taboo.

Al

If you're shooting deer (or any game) for the table and it's NOT already wounded, I assume you wouldn't take that shot?

The loss of edible meat with a Texas Heart shot negates any common sense reason for pulling one off on a un-wounded animal.  Now if I had a wounded animal that I thought could get away and become unrecoverable, well then I'd surly plug one in.

• Like 3

If you're shooting deer (or any game) for the table and it's NOT already wounded, I assume you wouldn't take that shot?
The loss of edible meat with a Texas Heart shot negates any common sense reason for pulling one off on a un-wounded animal.  Now if I had a wounded animal that I thought could get away and become unrecoverable, well then I'd surly plug one in.
That's the way I look at shoulder shots too. It's just a waste of meat and nothing else if you're aiming for front shoulders, unless you have a really good reason for anchoring the deer in it's tracks other than not wanting to blood trail.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

If the shot is perfectly executed, the only meat that is lost is a small neck roast.  I know, from first-hand experience, that shot can be made on a standing deer, but not so sure about one that is moving.      

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chrisw said:

That's the way I look at shoulder shots too. It's just a waste of meat and nothing else if you're aiming for front shoulders, unless you have a really good reason for anchoring the deer in it's tracks other than not wanting to blood trail.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Shoulder shots = equal dead deer within reason. Lungs / heart shot and miss your mark a few inches yields zero venison in the freezer. But again for those who like to track ... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

I will gladly "waste" a 1lb or 2 of meat and immobilize a deer with a shoulder shot. All day. Everyday.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I agree, I like a shoulder shot once in a while too.  Quartering to or away, I'll happily filet meat off the neck right up to the ears to make up for a blown shoulder. :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If the shot is perfectly executed, the only meat that is lost is a small neck roast.  I know, from first-hand experience, that shot can be made on a standing deer, but not so sure about one that is moving.      

Yowza that's some fine shooting........

31 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I believe your story has gotten better..

Some of you guys put way more thought into shooting deer than I do. I aim for the middle, don’t worry about angle or any of that. Just aim for the middle of the biggest part and keep shooting until I can’t see them or they die. He’ll die and I’ll trim a little bloody meat off not the end of the world. If I’m shooting a rifle at a deer these days it’s my ADK buck and he’s gonna be sausage anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Some of you guys put way more thought into shooting deer than I do. I aim for the middle, don’t worry about angle or any of that. Just aim for the middle of the biggest part and keep shooting until I can’t see them or they die. He’ll die and I’ll trim a little bloody meat off not the end of the world. If I’m shooting a rifle at a deer these days it’s my ADK buck and he’s gonna he sausage anyways.

Just wondering why you favor the pump rem over something that's a autoloader for that kind of hunting ? 

So as much as I like the Barnes TTSX mentioned above I only use it in my .243 Winchester.  That little 80gr bullet is a bulldozer that kills way out of proportion to it's weight.  Note the bullet in my avatar, it was recovered from the hind quarter of a Pennsylvania doe, shot head on at about 235 yards IIRC.  I found the mushroomed bullet while preparing the "football" roast for dinner.  Oh and it weights 80 grains still even though the little blue tip is gone.

Yea, it didn't exit but most do.......

ML1XyTA.jpg

jA4SbrA.jpg

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The loss of edible meat with a Texas Heart shot negates any common sense reason for pulling one off on a un-wounded animal.

None of the Deer I shot were wounded, Like Buckmaster said aim for and hit the center between the hams, not as much meat loss as one would think even if the shot is off by a bit.

Al

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Some of you guys put way more thought into shooting deer than I do. I aim for the middle, don’t worry about angle or any of that. Just aim for the middle of the biggest part and keep shooting until I can’t see them or they die. He’ll die and I’ll trim a little bloody meat off not the end of the world. If I’m shooting a rifle at a deer these days it’s my ADK buck and he’s gonna he sausage anyways.

Bottom third / one third back should equal dead deer.  Not common core math , no work need provided 

I'm firmly in the camp of dumping all the bullets energy in the deer. The 1st 20 years I used a 308 reloaded with 125gr speer bullet pushing 3000fps. Out of a dozens of deer I think I only had to actually track less than a handful. Most of my hunting and shots were taken where you couldn't see further than 50yds tops(lots of cedar swamps lol)

I've been hunting with a 300win mag ,loaded with 150gr core loc, for a bit now .

One of the 1st deer I shot was with factory 165gr in the 308. The buck was running, I gut shot him, it punched straight through, and i had track for a 1/4 mile. I've never had that problem since..

Funny how ones experiences shape their preferences. 

• Like 1

Just now, airedale said:

None of the Deer I shot were wounded, Like Buckmaster said aim for and hit the center between the hams, not as much meat loss as one would think even if the shot is off by a bit.

Al

And the backstraps are unscathed? 

Not a chance.......

12 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

And this is why I never even get a shot off...;)

4 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

For two holes almost every time there's one choice: Barnes TTSX (or some other variant of the X).

This right here. Its all I shoot and i can post image after image the damage they do. Only bad thing about them is the price. At 40 bucks a package, I dont target practice at all with them

Bottom third / one third back should equal dead deer.  Not common core math , no work need provided 

ad6c937498c50d257764e35e55a78c5d.jpg

Jesus jay you’re talking in circles, I just did that geometry equation you gave me and it ain’t the shoulder but you said you shoot em in the shoulder.

Other than a few of us here we’ve all killed our share of deer with guns. I’ve never kept track but I’ve shot a lot of deer with a rifle and I’ve hit them from every angle and in about every spot imaginable and I’ve recovered all but 1. Not one of those deer have I ever thought of fractions or anything else just aim center mass or “the middle” and the deer will die.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Depends. Are you a shoulder guy, or behind the crease guy ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

i cut up my own deer and under no circumstances do i ever put it square on the shoulder. i did it as a kid when i first started hunting because i thought it was cool to have it drop and take the legs right out from under it. the results are tragic though. same as any shot aft of the diaphragm.